BT premium cordless phone or others?

channelking

Been looking at this phone and panasonic one for some time to replace our landline phones which are near the end after 10 years.

But looking at the BT one seems some are saying if you havent got a BT landline the features and phone itself wont work as it should. Is this true? Anyone have this model where they dont have BT line?

BT Premium Cordless Home Phone with 100 Percent Nuisance Call Blocking, Mobile sync and Answering Machine, Single Handset Pack, Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Been looking at this phone and panasonic one for some time to replace our landline phones which are near the end after 10 years.

But looking at the BT one seems some are saying if you havent got a BT landline the features and phone itself wont work as it should. Is this true? Anyone have this model where they dont have BT line?

BT Premium Cordless Home Phone with 100 Percent Nuisance Call Blocking, Mobile sync and Answering Machine, Single Handset Pack, Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I've got the BT8610 call blocking phone, which is an older phone, but I'd think it would be using the same call blocking technology as the one you've linked to.

My reason for buying the phone was for spammer call blocking, and it does it fantastically... The phone doesn't even ring when spammers call, the phone answers with a message,
asking the caller to say who they are, and then press the "#" key, all too much trouble for the automated spammer... all I get is a list of all the spammers phone numbers,
which I could add to the blocking list if I wanted.

I'm with Virgin Media, and the 'caller display' function that my phone needs is free for VM customers (they use to charge for this, I believe)

I see the first negative review you're talking about, and I think his is not blocking simply because he hasn't got 'caller display' service. I doubt the phone would be specific to a "BT caller service",
that would be silly for the manufacturer, they'd want increased sales and provide functionality for all phone services.

Mind you, the second "Dr Ian" review would concern me though... everything seems to be wrong with his phone lol

Just buy it if it dosnt work just simply return the item then get your money back.
I've never heard of any landline phone been locked to a particular provider as when you take phone out with any provider they ask you if you want caller id ect

I've got the BT8610 call blocking phone, which is an older phone, but I'd think it would be using the same call blocking technology as the one you've linked to.

My reason for buying the phone was for spammer call blocking, and it does it fantastically... The phone doesn't even ring when spammers call, the phone answers with a message,
asking the caller to say who they are, and then press the "#" key, all too much trouble for the automated spammer... all I get is a list of all the spammers phone numbers,
which I could add to the blocking list if I wanted.

I'm with Virgin Media, and the 'caller display' function that my phone needs is free for VM customers (they use to charge for this, I believe)

I see the first negative review you're talking about, and I think his is not blocking simply because he hasn't got 'caller display' service. I doubt the phone would be specific to a "BT caller service",
that would be silly for the manufacturer, they'd want increased sales and provide functionality for all phone services.

Mind you, the second "Dr Ian" review would concern me though... everything seems to be wrong with his phone lol

Thanks for the reply mate.

Your right caller display and voicemail is free with VM even though for some reason the latter is not applied for me.

As you say you have a VM phone line you havent encountered any issues with any features or anything not working or being limited or other issues that have been pointed out by those leaving negative reviews?

Was putting me off if I am being honest as dont want the same issues as them lol. But your right tbh as why would BT limit type of phone line carriers their phones work with.

Just buy it if it dosnt work just simply return the item then get your money back.
I've never heard of any landline phone been locked to a particular provider as when you take phone out with any provider they ask you if you want caller id ect

I am getting it through my mate who deals with all types of things at company he works.

Its tricky to return things back to him. So cant take that risk.

Looking into it further I'm even more confused now lol.

Whats the best landline phones out there currently any ideas?

This BT one and the Panasonic kx-prs120 is what seem to main ones being mentioned from review sites. But for both reviews are hit and miss.

Can't afford to get the wrong type either tbh.

I would echo to comments from Bonus - I have this model (on VM) and it works fine. The blocking feature works by the phone 'intercepting' all calls to your house ; It then asks the caller to say their name and press # ; it then asks you if you want to accept the call from whoever : Genuine callers will say their name, spammers give up.

I can't fault mine....! (but I don't use all the features)

I would echo to comments from Bonus - I have this model (on VM) and it works fine. The blocking feature works by the phone 'intercepting' all calls to your house ; It then asks the caller to say their name and press # ; it then asks you if you want to accept the call from whoever : Genuine callers will say their name, spammers give up.

I can't fault mine....!

The BT model on the above link?

Seems a bit of a chore what you described mate? As what if you have all the contacts in your phone book all those people will have to go through that process?

For spammers being blocked that's main thing.

Can the phone block withheld and private numbers calling?

Good to know you also are using the phone on VM line without any issues. Gives me a bit more confidence.

Phone book contacts don't have to go through that procedure : for others, if you want them allowed in future, go into 'options' and add caller to 'Safe' list.

Not sure what you mean by 'Private' numbers, but 'Withheld' ones have to go through the 'procedure' every time
One of my regular 'withheld' callers has added 1470 to the front of my number in her phone memory to get around the problem (1470 reveals the withheld number)

Just to add -- call barring on that Panny works in a completely different way. A call comes in that you do not want, after clearing down, you can add that number to the blocked list ; But in today's world that is not much use against Spammers/Cheats as they seldom use the same again!!
Should say my previous Phone was a similar Panny one and I prefer the BT phone..

Both phones require Caller ID and / or SMS service offered by your telephone company.

Phone book contacts don't have to go through that procedure : for others, if you want them allowed in future, go into 'options' and add caller to 'Safe' list.

Not sure what you mean by 'Private' numbers, but 'Withheld' ones have to go through the 'procedure' every time
One of my regular 'withheld' callers has added 1470 to the front of my number in her phone memory to get around the problem (1470 reveals the withheld number)

Sorry by private I meant where no number shows.

So you can block withheld numbers yourself only way is that procedure for these types of callers?

Just to add -- call barring on that Panny works in a completely different way. A call comes in that you do not want, after clearing down, you can add that number to the blocked list ; But in today's world that is not much use against Spammers/Cheats as they seldom use the same again!!
Should say my previous Phone was a similar Panny one and I prefer the BT phone..

Both phones require Caller ID and / or SMS service offered by your telephone company.

Ye VM landline has free caller ID and voicemail service by default.

Sorry for asking mate but best to ask as you have same model so you seem best person to advice.

How's the call quality on the phones as read no HD call quality on the BT ones?

Any cons with the phone you would say?

Not sure about HD quality - sound to me is just like a normal landline.

Cons -- finding a number in our 'phone book' is a bit slow

=====
"So you can block withheld numbers yourself only way is that procedure for these types of callers?"

The blocker need a telephone number to work with. All withheld numbers will be automatically be sent to the blocker and asked to state their name, so the blocker can ask you if you want to accept the call.
Friends with withheld numbers can put the 1470 in front of your number in their phones memory to get through without going through the 'Procedure' . (of course, you have to add 'Friends' number to the Safe list)

Hop that is making sense...

Not sure about HD quality - sound to me is just like a normal landline.

Cons -- finding a number in our 'phone book' is a bit slow

=====
"So you can block withheld numbers yourself only way is that procedure for these types of callers?"

The blocker need a telephone number to work with. All withheld numbers will be automatically be sent to the blocker and asked to state their name, so the blocker can ask you if you want to accept the call.
Friends with withheld numbers can put the 1470 in front of your number in their phones memory to get through without going through the 'Procedure' . (of course, you have to add 'Friends' number to the Safe list)

Hop that is making sense...

So basically the procedure you mentioned applies to those who are not part of your contacts is the main thing about the BT phones.

Do appreciate mate you answering my questions regarding the BT phone. Much appreciated.

"So basically the procedure you mentioned applies to those who are not part of your contacts is the main thing about the BT phones." Yep

The BT call blocker 'actively' blocks everything (unless you let it through)
The Panasonic call blocker only blocks call that you have added to your 'block' list (Withheld/International/Any number not on the blocklist etc come straight through)

Back