BT price rise and end to free sport

nickyd186

TK Veteran
BT has announced price rises for its broadband and landline services, while television customers will start having to pay for BT Sport.
Broadband charges will typically rise by between 5% and 6% from 2 April, the company said.
From August, BT TV subscribers will pay £3.50 a month for BT Sport, which has been free for broadband customers.
Landline customers will see phone plans increase, and the cost of calls will go up by 1p a minute.

Rivals Sky, Virgin Media and TalkTalk have all announced price increases within the last year.
BT said phone rental would be frozen at £18.99a month, while the cost of a subscription to BT TV will also remain the same.

The company also promised to compensate customers automatically if it fails to deliver on one of its service promises. The details will be published at a future date.
Under Ofcom rules, any customer who is unhappy with the price changes on their contract has 30 days to opt out, once they have been informed of the changes by BT.
_76020974_line976.jpg

[h=2]The main rises are:[/h]
  • Broadband up by £2 a month
  • Super-fast Infinity broadband up by £2.50 a month
  • BT TV customers to start paying £3.50 a month for BT Sport (from next season)
  • Anytime calls up by 49p to £8.99 a month

The company has been battling with Sky over the rights to sporting events.
The two broadcasters spent more than £5bn between them to acquire the rights to Premier League matches.
BT has also paid a reported £80m to show the 2017-18 Ashes cricket series.

BT's consumer chief executive, John Petter, said: "Customers will get a better package and improved service from us this year in exchange for paying a little more.
"Millions will have the chance to upgrade to faster broadband and almost a million will be able to upgrade to enjoy unlimited usage for no extra cost."
He said that prices for low-income customers, who use the BT Basic service, would be frozen and calls costs capped.
Mr Petter pointed out the company had also frozen line rental, which, he said, "would particularly help customers who only take a traditional phone service from BT".
Analysts at Bernstein said the rises were "intelligently designed", as they left line rental charges unchanged.
Bernstein also said it expected BT's competitors, and especially Virgin Media, to follow the company's lead.

im not surprised on the price increases... they have to pay for those premier league rights somehow.. paying over the odds for sport events coz of sky aswell

Everyone will up prices if they can, how can we judge them if the price needs to go up
i think the government needs to watching these big boys and how they work

line rental is the biggest joke

Everyone will up prices if they can, how can we judge them if the price needs to go up
i think the government needs to watching these big boys and how they work

line rental is the biggest joke

I agree should be some legislation brought in. Can see it going like the energy companies.

If you subscribe to bt sport (as long as its not through virgin) you get boxnation free starting from Feb 24th

Hhmmm I am sure that you would be allowed to jump ship to another provider without penalty if you don't agree with the increase, I think you have 30 days,

I assume VM will increase the price of the XL TV package (which includes BT sport) in the next few days and try to blame it all on BT. I have a new Zgemma box and can see me reducing VM down to just broadband only when the next £6.00 increase arrives.

It seems so long since the last price rise....three months ago.

Back