BT unlimited v Plus net unlimited ? + VPN

carbo

i am just looking at my broadband contarct and one of the changes i wish to make is add a vpn across the network for all devices at home as well as the IPTV servce via my Zgemma and then i am wondering which is the best provider if i wanted good speeds and a VPN?

1. can i use a BT new smart HUB and add a VPN easily as above?
2. would i be better just getting a new independent router?
3. will my netflix work ok via the smart TV apps?
4. plusnet is cheaper but their hub is rubbish I believe?

any advice?

I am currently with BT having changed from plusnet. If im honest BT runs better giving better speeds, with plusnet I kept getting drop outs.
I did get a good deal with BT though that was just to good to turn down
As @bazcfc1 mentions I have now added a spider vpn router and the speeds are bang on
http://www.techkings.org/threads/spider-vpn-router.146959/

Do you use an IPTV service and a VPN with your ISP OK?
My ISP is throttling my streams and blocking VPN servers.
Looking for a fix.

I have Plusnet on copper, no fibre in my area unfortunately, max download speed I get is around 16mbps, when I use NordVPN through their app on my fire stick and phone it drops the speed to around 12mbps, more than enough for iptv and netflix etc.

It does struggle though if there are others in the house streaming at the same time.

Totally opposite experience to makido I was with bt and had major issues with dop outs and fluctuating speeds, their customer service/tech support were useless and failed to sort the issues. Switched to plusnet and had similar issues with dropouts etc however plusnet took notice and found I had an external line fault. They arranged for openreach to fix and have had no issues since. One thing I would reccomend whichever you choose is to bin the supplied router and replace with something fit for purpose, I use an unlocked huaweii hg612 modem and an asus rt56nu running padavan firmware which has improved things even more

I switched from BT to Plusnet can't see any difference in speed or connection. Remember Plusnet is owned by BT. I am also using the "New BT Smart Hub"

I am currently using Air VPN and also used it when I was with BT had no problems with it

Back