Cable Box Needed for a budget

Hi, I've done a fair bit of reading on the forum over the last few days but can't conclusively come to a decision.
Here's what I have:
- Active VM BB
- Inactive Sky TV
- Both Sky and Cable cables in the wall

Here are my requirements:
- HD channels
- Record one or more channels while watching another
- Good box for around £100

Someone mentioned the new Technomate TM-Nano SE M2 PLUS. I was under the impression I need a box with 2 tuners which does cable only:
1. If this is the case, isn't the Technomate option a little overkill? (as I won't need the Sky connection).
2. Is there any benefit to buying the Technomate and plugging in the inactive sky cable as well as 2 cable connections (with a splitter) ?
3. Are there any other options on my budget which may be better suited to my needs?

I may end up buying two of the same box as I also have another room which has a VM BB and TV connection

Thank you for your time. I realise it seems like I'm asking the same question as others on here recently but after reading their threads I haven't found an answer. I've seen the list of cable boxes on another thread but it doesn't seem to rank them by any sort of useful measure. It meerly lists a few pros and cons of some of them. I need a much more narrow scope for answers based on my budget and needs.

You wont get a twin cable tuner box for £100 that why the technomate is being banded about, cheapest twin tuner enigma box at the moment, and it takes an internal HDD

So that ones the best option then?
If so, what configuration options should I choose when buying?
- Firmware
- HDD
- USB Storage (I can use a spare USB if its just a one off but is it needed to be inserted permanently?)
- USB wifi (whats this for?)
- Homeplugs (I have TP link powerlines already)

Last edited:
Its your choice, I would buy a Vu or miraclebox but much more expensive, I will try to answer some of your question but its your choice.
1 firmware, choose what your most comfortable with, Openvix or ATV, etc....loads of support on here for your choice
2 I like an internal HDD but thats up to you, I would go for the 500gb option, although cheaper online to buy on its own and install and mount yourself if your ok with that? I always get it pre-installed as its not much dearer.
3 USB storage, some buy it to keep for flashing or saving the EPG and Picons too.
4 wifi, thats a wifi dongle for people that want to use wifi ( you have homeplugs)
5 Homeplugs, you already have them
6 cable sub can/will be up to £80

cheers

If you want a twin tuner cable box go for the Technomate TM-Nano SE M2 PLUS. I have been looking at it all day and I am seriously considering buying one. You might not be thinking about using the sat tuner but if everything is setup for it at home then why not make use of it. You will then have three tuners so can record two shows at the same time while watching another.

You might have to spend a bit more than you would of hoped but it will be worth it in the long run

Thank you for the detailed replies.

My concern at the moment is the cost. Originally I was looking at the zgemma S but didn't realise it would allow HD to work. I then looked at the 2H and noticed that I can't watch one, and record another channel at the same time. £140 is about 40-60 more expensive.

Which firmware is the best to use?

I was just backing up your first post really. The Technomate TM-Nano SE M2 PLUS is the cheapest twin tuner cable box around at the moment. If you are on a budget but want a twin tuner box then that is the one to go for. I currently have a H2H with a usb tuner installed for the second line as when I was searching for a setup that seemed to be the cheapest option around. The box and usb tuner cost me £120. It took me ages to sort out the usb tuner as it wasn't supported by openatv and kept getting stuck at 49 on bootup so had to go with vix. for a little extra money i should of gone for a VU+ SOLO SE v2 TWIN-C/T2 but you live and learn.

You have done the right thing in reading up first as this place is full of information and very helpful people. Just don't dismiss the satellite option all together though, HD is nice to have but it costs more.

Last edited:
Goid advice there. If cost is an issue then why not go for an edison single tuner and a nowtv box for the ondemand stuff as most people that I know that record a lot it's stuff on freeview?
Cable is not cheap, sat much cheaper, depends how much you want HD?
As for software if you get a zgemma go with ATV if not then just get what your most comfortable with, I find openvix easiest for new starters. Vu Biox mentioned above is excellent and would be my choice of the cheapest twin cable boxes but the technomate should be fine

Thats some good advice. I had a look and the VU+ is £170 on the same site as the Technomate. I guess I have to go for the Technomate after all. With regards to firmware, I don't know what I'd like. Are there any videos demonstrating each of them?
Since I only have 1 VM line coming in, how do I make the box use it for 2 tuners?

You buy a splitter, you will need two rf coax adapters too, you will need to split the feed coming in, one to your router and 2 to your box, so 2 cables needed as short as you can away with, from the splitter to each tuner, loads in here about it.
Lol now you know why a buzz around the technomate.
Bees has done an excellent guide on how to set up a combo on openvix, so maybe openvix as it's quite friendly to learn and there's bees guide too? I use both ATV and openvix and fund vix easier for learners. It's your choice.
In everyday usage once set up there's little difference

Thank you. I've got a few drilled VM holes in my house. One goes directly into a router, which then goes into a home plug/power line. In another room I have a different hole in the wall which I was using for cable TV. I thought I can connect the Ethernet from the power line adapter into the box. Followed by using the VM line coming from outside into the box (using a splitter). Is this incorrect?

I'll have a look for the splitters later but if anybody has a link to them, and the bees guide that'd b awesome. Thanks again.

That's correct, yes. That's exactly how mine is set up.

As for splitters, go on ebay and get yourself a virgin splitter kit, then you know you'll be using what they use.

Okay so I've ordered the Technomate. Thanks for the advice on that. Do I definitely need those VM splitters or does it have some sort of internal splitting features?

I'm considering having more than one box in my house so heres a few things that have come to mind in relation to lines:
1. If I buy a single VM line, can I use the same code on two boxes?
2. I assume a single VM line will allow me to record 1 channel while recording another (HD or SD). If I get a combo line, will I be able to record 1 SD (Sky) channel, 1 HD (VM) channel and watch a third HD VM channel?
3. Will a combo line work on another box which only has a VM connection available?

I'm trying to assess whether a combo line is best for me or if I should be looking out for "multi lines" of sorts for multiple boxes.

Thanks once again. This is going to be fun (hopefully)

Hi
i will try to answer..
The Technomate only needs one VM feed tto it and "splits" it internally like the Tivo
1 You will need to ask your supplier but most VM line suppliers allow 2 connections, some call it mutli-room but each tuner counts as one, so 2 tuners in 1 box will count as 2 boxes, so more than likely a line per box would be required for cable if using multi tuner boxes.
2 If your supplier allows a twin tuner then yes you can record one while watching another, also if you get a combo you will be able to record 2 channels and watch another
3 yes a combo line will work on either sat or vm or both but a bit overkill if only using for one service.
I hope that helps.

Last edited:
That's great, thank you. I might not have phrased my 2nd question properly. What I meant was in specific relation to recording/viewing SD vs HD channels. With a combo line, 1 sat signal (from inactive sky) and 2 VM signals (from active bb and tv), I understand that in total that means I have 3 signals coming in. This means I can record 2 and watch a third channel. But am I able to record 2 HD channels while watching another HD channel, or am I limited to only being able to have two HD options and one SD (due to one connection being Sky)?

You will have 3 tuners, 1 sat and 2 cable, so you could have any combination of them recording or watching, so if your recording 2 cable channels(HD) then your only available free tuner will be the sat one...

and the next question will be what if i record 2 cable and 1 sat at the same time=blank screen due to no free tuner.

good news is you can view recordings already done on your 6tb hdd lol while multi recording.

Back