Cabling Cable Question

Hi

Hope this is the correct place to put this question as its hardware related.

So my original set up is provided by Vermin was, VM Feed comes in thru the wall, have about a meter of cable going into a 2 way splitter one to Router and one to the VM box (standard). I unscrewed the cable from the box put another 2 way splitter on it and one of those goes to the Vermin box and the other 2 my Zgemma H1, have noticed that some of the "$" channels on the H1 are very low signal which I would like to improve.

I'm guessing I don't have the optimal set up (with 2 splitters) so would I find any improvement in swapping them for a single 3way splitter to run the 3 devices as it splits the signal equally I'm only going to be getting 25% of the original signal to my Zgemma where as with a single 3way splitter should give me 33% of the signal, correct??? Doesn't sound a lot but 8% increase for under a fiver sounds ok to me.

To throw a spanner in the works have also read about Cable Taps, which split the signal differently, I don't really understand how all the DB's work TBH. But I think I understood it as I could have the cable from the wall, put a tap to the router, then tap off to the Vermin Box and finally run the main into my Zgemma.

Which would be a better solution? And also cable signal amplifiers maybe its worth putting one of these in somewhere along the way, I'm not sure how effective they are or if they are worth it ect but I'm hoping to find all this out.

Look forward to reading any reply's

Thanks in advance!

Its not just the splitter that will cause you to loose signal but the cable and connectors as well,buy the lowest loss cable in db for the frequency
that it is to be used on as you can afford. less connectors and length of cable = better signal, remember a 3db loss is roughly half your signal.

i have the same VM set up but different box (amiko), all i did was swap the two way splitter for a 3 way splitter (one to router, one to tivo and one to amiko) and everything running fine.

I don't know if it will work, but you could try swapping the router & Zgemma connections, so that the Zgemma only connects to 1 splitter instead of 2.

It means that the signal to the router now goes through 2 splitters, but it may still be enough for a reliable connection.

Thanks for replys everyone :) Good to have a couple of things to try.

@morseman, can you reccomend some good quality cable and possibly supplier also as all my cabling is Vermins cable and I imagine is cheap and cheerful as they must use miles of it a day!

Also currently I have a F connector to RF adapter in back of my Zgemma would a F type - RF lead be preferable as its another loop taken out of the chain so to speak?

@Kremmen your idea may be quite do-able as I recently had VM out as I had to high power levels to the modem and they added a 10db atten right before the modem so maybe the split signal would not be as harmfull

Last edited:
...@Kremmen your idea may be quite do-able as I recently had VM out as I had to high power levels to the modem and they added a 10db atten right before the modem so maybe the split signal would not be as harmfull

If you try my suggestion it might be worth leaving the 10dB atten in place to start with & see how reliable your internet connection is. If you lose connection, then try removing the attenuator & see how it goes then.

Im sure VM operate in 'sweet spots' I can't remember exactly what they are but I think the router should be lesser db than the box.

Im sure VM operate in 'sweet spots' I can't remember exactly what they are but I think the router should be lesser db than the box.

That is correct and this is the main reason why they hate people who do changes to the setup inside there homes they end up causing problems for the rest of the people with back noise in the cabinet.

If it was myself doing this I would go to the omni box outside and open it up and replace that with 3 way which is the same brand (this is important cheap ones can cause issues) then run extra cables of that.

Yes. My advice would be to leave the router and its cabling alone. Split the line going to tivo box and maybe try some sort of booster.

Back