can someone recommend a portable hard drive

wheelo

Admin
Staff member
TK Supporter
forgive me lads and lasses, A if i am in the wrong section ,and B if this has been asked before.

I want to get a portable hard drive 500 G for a reasonable price, I am in Dublin Ireland, and need to know is any one brand any better than another, for instance, pixmania have this one, though i dont know what their delivery charges are like.

Looks Good Wheelo, I have used Pixmania a few times and find them very reasonable and efficient, if i remember correctly the delivery should be about 12 Euros, and the good thing is you can pay by laser too.!

I got a lovely little Toshiba one in power city, 1 TB for €109. I don't know if they are still selling them or not.

i should be a little more specific as well, i want it to be portable, as i want to use it off the Wii and i want the Wii to power it, i dont want any more power leads at the back of the telly.

thanks eva, if you have the model number i would appreciate it.(y)

Wheelo, I have just spent the last half an hour scrawling through the web (nothing better to do today. :) )and i have tried every type of search concerning hooking up the wii to an external hard drive (compatibility, size of hd, Fat32, e.t.c.)and have found no evidence that it is possible, actually plenty of people saying that it will not work. Please if i am wrong, correct me, but i just don`t want a mate to spend his hard earned cash in case in cannot happen.
Knotaclu.
Sample find below.

Originally Posted by Nintendo
Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

Although the Wii Console has two USB ports, they can only be used by accessories Nintendo may decide to develop (for the Wii). The Wii LAN Adapter is one such accessory. It is scheduled to be released in early January 2007 and is used to connect to a wired router to setup a Wii Internet Connection.

If you need additional information about the Wii, please refer to www.nintendo.com and www.wii.com. You won't regret it!

And, while you are at our site, be sure to check out the My Nintendo section. Not only does this allow you to monitor the progress of any repairs or part orders that you may have, it also gives you access to the Nintendo Forums where you can interact with other players. Here you can discuss games and systems, and possibly obtain key game play information. Take a look. I think that you will find it helpful.

Nintendo of America Inc.
M. Michel Grimaldi

Nintendo's home page: http://www.nintendo.com/
Power Line (Automated Product Info): (425) 885-7529

Last edited:
thanks knot, but i think that is the standard nintendo answer, because they dont want people to back up their games, however I will have a good look around. a mate gave me a portable hard drive to take the backups off. i plugged it into the Wii, and it recognised the drive.
I will try some more searching before I buy, thanks knot.

This is the one i have wheelo, don't think it's portable though, you have to plug it in:

Code:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001BG4QS4/ref=asc_df_B001BG4QS4406737/?tag=dealtimecouk-ce-mp-delta-21&creative=7966&creativeASIN=B001BG4QS4&linkCode=asn

i have just bought a cheap one from currys for £50 and waiting for it to be delivered to replace my 160 that i currently have on the wii. But Buffallo are good if you can get one for around that sort of price. Argoose do them to i think - not sure of the euro to pound ratio atm.
Wheelo will pm ya x

You should bare in mind that you can buy the drive & enclosure separately wheelo & pop it together yourself.
Sometimes it works out a lot cheaper, depending on where you go & what size/mix you run with.

Example:

Drive

Enclosure

-

You should bare in mind that you can buy the drive & enclosure separately wheelo & pop it together yourself.
Sometimes it works out a lot cheaper, depending on where you go & what size/mix you run with.

Example:

Drive

Enclosure

-

That is the option that I chose and am very plesed with it. That way should the enclosure ever have problems, I can always pop the drive out and either get a new enclosure or put it in my case.

thanks Knot,

thanks Eva, but you are right it isnt portable and the good lady hates wires around the place,

thanks for the reply ferg,

Gman, thanks for the info, but I have found one on pixmania, for €69, the Iomega Select 500 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive, whereas at komplett the cheapest drive (500G) is €71, then an enclosure will cost about €30. while I dont really mind paying €100 I dont know if i have the means to A. put together these 2 things and, b. pick the right one for my needs.
what i need is a usb powered portable Hard Drive, any advise and I will be very grateful.

wheelo(y)

have a look at this one wheelo.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-Ministation-500GB-Portable-Turbo/dp/B001RPCZXM?SubscriptionId=17ZNWQMWNAY2K2SFHV82&tag=ws&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B001RPCZXM"]buffalo ministation[/ame]

very nice find sandie... wheelo... there's your solution... I would hit the manufacturers website and make sure it's USB powered... I didn't see that but I'm sure I just missed it. ;)

thanks sandie, that looks like a good one, I have to make up my mind sharpish, when i get it i will repost, unless anyone has any more ideas

hi Wheelo
check this out first

*** Moderated ***

Link Removed

-

Last edited by a moderator:
eventually, i went with the iomega prestige with the metal casing as i heard that there was a problem with heat retention withthe plastic casing. this one os compatible with the Wii and can be powered up using the usb ports on the back of the Wii. thanks for all your helpful replies.

Back