Cant backup restore from old iphone - says backup corrupt.

Linny40

TK LADY VETERAN
Ok so Gman i gave in and got the new ip5! Had a huge problem all day trying to set it up.

I backed up the IP4 that morning as i did the day before.
Went to set up new handset by restoring from old ip backup BUT then my pc crashed thought not a problem went to anther pc, backed up ip4 on there and started again.

The ip5 could not restore said file was corrupt, i then got a virus warning.
Thought as there was a problem i would try and backup ipone 4 to icloud - that didnt work came up with an error.
For some reason i could back the phone up on pc but could not restore from that backup.
Only other backup showing on either pc was back in Jan 2012. Again that wouldnt restore, then realised that maybe that backup was done via icloud.

Sorted! restored from the Jan 2012 icloud backup, BUT then came a problem. Somehow i had 2 apple ids that showed up on my brand new handset - due to restoring from icloud. I could not get rid of them and have no idea how they got on my backup. It took a few attempts to get rid of them. Think i finally did it by then backing up the new ip5 to pc.
I might also add that i think my itunes account might have been hacked, or someone tried to get into my itunes with wrong password. A few months ago i had to reset my itunes password and security questions as the answers i put in would not work and itunes suggested i either make a new itunes account or reset all passwords and security questions.

But how did these ids manage to get onto my backup and was it that maybe that corrputed it did someone manage to put a virus on my itunes which is why it would not restore. I will add a couple of photos of the 2 accounts that i found on my phone.

I could not see a way to delete these from the handset, but as said they seems to disappear after i backed up to pc.
So does that mean that backing up to icloud is NOT secure!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Expect a lot of email SPAM Linny!
??

Bit confused by that comment Gman lol! as i had not set email up on the phone

If your referring to the 2 ids that were in the photos they are Nothing to do with me, i didnt set them up, But they appeared on my itunes account. They must be the emails for the people that hacked my itunes account, so if they get spam emails tough!!! :)

Last edited:
As she scurries off to join the queue to be one of the first to purchase Windows 8 LOL!

I was referring to the 2 email Addy's that were in the photos Linny.

I'm afraid I don't own an iPhone so I can't really say what's causing your grief.

Linny, I don't do Apple as such but 2 buddies of mine asked me to help them with their iPhones, one had a iphone 4 & the other an iPhone 4s. Both of them accepted the prompted update to iOS6 & in both cases it totally bricked their wireless. Neither of them could connect to WiFi & in both cases their phones weren't even detecting or showing any available networks no matter where they were.

I was amazed to see the internet awash with similar cases since the update (and it seems to be across all Apple devices) so I just rolled them both back to iOS5 & everything worked fine after that.

It would appear that Vista, oops! I mean iOS6 is far from ready for the general masses at this point?

-

when i updated to IOS6 on my phone it didnt cause a problem with anything, so i suppose i was lucky! its just the strangeness of having problems with the backup and then finding to random apple iuser ids ( itunes accounts) on my phone.
Have now restored the old iphone4 to factory settings and using as a PAYG for my son so he can play games and have as an emergency phone.
Touch wood other than the battery being a bit poo my new ip5 is now ok. Have backed up on 2 different pcs - just in case, its also backed up on icloud when i eventually got it sorted, just incase i have a similar problem in the future. the handset is a 32gb but you only get 5gb of free storage on cloud and i refuse to pay for extra!

Back