Cant find 30gb of data

paulg

Evening,

Could someone help or explain to me why my C drive tells me I have 37gb of space on it, but when I do my maths and check file sizes etc on all existing users, programs and so on, mathmatically I should have a lot more 30gb to be more precise,,,,are there folders that I may not be able to see ?

Thanks to any answers

Paulg

Have you tried cleaning temporary files?

Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking System Tools, and then clicking Disk Cleanup.

In the Disk Cleanup Options dialog box, choose whether you want to clean up your own files only or all of the files on the computer. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If the Disk Cleanup: Drive Selection dialog box appears, select the hard disk drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK.

Click the Disk Cleanup tab, and then select the check boxes for the files you want to delete.

When you finish selecting the files you want to delete, click OK, and then click Delete files to confirm the operation. Disk Cleanup proceeds to remove all unnecessary files from your computer.

You would be suprised how much unnecessary space is taken up by temporary files, give it a go and see how much space you clear up.

thanks guys cleared all temp files, cache etc,,,,have increased available space,,,though still got 20+ gb awol somewhere,,,not causing me any problems but very intriguing and a little annoying as twenty+ gb is more or less a sixth of my c drive,,,,very baffling

thanks for any input

paulg have you checked your backup settings,windows may be backing up your image automatically,that could account for such a large loss of space,what are you running vista or 7

Paulg follow the guide HERE
The best way to browse for backed up content is to launch the "Restore
Files" part of the experience. From there you can either browse into or
search within the backed up content.
This might show you if there is a number of backups,also you should be able to change the settings

There a program called 'treesize free' it's freeware. It may help to find your missing Gb's?

You could also use auslogics duplicate file finder, you could have duplicate pictures and music and so on.

HTC Desire S-Tapatalk

Also have a look here paulg. pagefile.sys is a hidden file that can reach up to 1.5 times the amount of RAM in your system. Also do a bit of research on clusters which is basically the minimum storage unit per say a file can be saved on wether it is smaller than it or not.

Last edited:
folder options > veiw > check show hidden files folders and drives.. you may find your 20gb in there.. if you have update to windows 7 it can sometimes carry things over to windows old and hide them for some reason.. i had this problem before

let me know how you get on

Morning guys n girls
Thanks for all your answers,got a fair bit of input from you all,,will give it a go later when I get home,,,will let you know how I get on

Thanks again

Paulg:)

Back