Windows 8 Can't find windows 8 driver for CD/DVD drive

wheelo

Admin
Staff member
TK Supporter
Hi all, I know the solution is out there, but I just can't find it using many Google searches.
A friend of mine has upgraded to windows 8 from 7 (don't know why :dunno:) and everything else apart from the CD/DVD drive has updated driver-wise.
If anyone can help me locate the Windows 8 driver for this Drive, it would be most appreciated.
it is a Toshiba Satellite L670D-13F laptop and the drive is
HL-DT-ST-DVDRAM-GT30N-SATA Cd Rom

Thanks in advance.

Thanks HT, I dont have my hands on the laptop, but I downloaded this and will get him to run it, I was kinda hoping to find the driver myself, put it on a Memory stick and get it to him that way. I have been searching all over the place, via toshiba, Google, etc. have spent hours looking to no avail.

It's kind of unusual to need such a driver wheelo? Are you sure it's not the correct chipset drivers you need?

Not doubting you, but why would you suggest this? I just presumed it is his CD/DVD drive's driver as everything else seems to work for him. I suppose that he could still run the above program and see if the chipset driver is missing/ outdated for Windows 8.

but why would you suggest this?

Normal any old generic driver will run the CD drive, think about it? how does it read a CD\DVD when one is installing an operating system on a new system?

Is your friends CD drive being detected in the device manager?

I can't ever recall having to install CD drivers.

Looking on their website they don't seem to list CD drivers anywhere?

Maybe a driver is what you need :dunno:

Last edited:
Good point Gman, that makes sense, I just couldn't work out your line of thinking. He isn't very tech-minded, so maybe I should take it off him and run the above program and see what I can find that is missing.

I'm only thinking out loud wheelo but 8 could have stuck in it's own generic chipset drivers and not the ones from the manufacture of the mobo? It's only a thought. Laptops can be funny at the best of times ;)

unusual to need such a driver wheelo? Are you sure it's not the correct chipset drivers you need?

I thought the same, you don't usually need a driver for such but running through the suggested drivers using 3Dchip (combined) might get it going. :dunno:

unusual to need such a driver wheelo? Are you sure it's not the correct chipset drivers you need?

I thought the same, you don't usually need a driver for such but running through the suggested drivers using 3Dchip (combined) might get it going. :dunno:

With any luck it will H. I haven't got to use that Prog yet but from what you say I'm looking forward to when I do. Driver hunting is one of the most frustrating aspects of clean installs for sure.

Good advice there chaps. 1st port of call for any hardware problem is to check Device Manager, it needs to be rosy in the garden as i say.

jodav :)

Just got his laptop, found drivers for the five categories, using HT's program suggestion, ran them, and the CD/DVD Drive is found. Thanks for your help lads.

sir please help me i am not find windows 8 camera and sound driver

jasonb, you really should start a separate thread for this issue and give as much details as you can about your machine. Far to vague and in an unrelated thread to get any help.

Back