Car stereo not working

Shieldsy

Hi guys, new here...

I have a 1993 holden nova SLX and I replaced the stereo about 6 months ago - with a *little* bit of a dodgy wiring job... anyways, was cleaning the car a couple of weeks ago and the stereo had stopped working the next time I turned the car on. Assumed it was just my dodgy wiring job (although when i looked, the wires were all still well insulated, not touching each other or the chassis) got some clips and re-did it nicely, and it still didn't work. Checked all the fuses, nothing there. Tested the constant 12V power supply cable and it looks like that could be the issue, as not getting a reading on the voltmeter.

Two questions:
1) Is it likely that it is the constant 12V cable and if not are there any other ideas for what it could be?
2) If it is the aforementioned cable, how much would it cost (on average) to take it to an auto electrician and get it fixed/replaced?

Thanks in advance guys

Shieldsy

what do you have the 12v power cable hooked to? it sounds like a fuse so i would check em all.

might there be 2 fuses for radio,one in radio and one in fuse box,i think most radios now have dual feeds so a constant live for memory and ignition controlled for usage,and an earth.
HTML:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wiring+car+radio&oq=wiring+car&gs_l=youtube.1.0.0l10.38884.47594.0.52828.10.8.0.2.2.0.92.485.8.8.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.y8WbNN8KfC0

I've checked all the fuses, one on the passenger side kickboard and one on the back of the stereo. Yes the stereo has dual feed, I'm getting a reading on the voltmeter for the ignition controlled usage (when the ignition is turned on of course) but not on the constant 12v wire.

the constant 12v wire should just be for your units memory.if the fuse on back is good and you have 12v on the keyed source and a good ground,it should work. does it even light up? just to be sure of the ground try a temporary ground wire and see if that makes a difference.

Unhook the 12v constant on the radio and run a whole new temporary length of wire from the back of the radio straight to the battery bypassing the 12v wire in the car and see if the stereo turns on then.
It could be that the 12v constant wire on the car is broken somewhere and can be really tricky to find the break.
Check all the ground wires also, if the get any corrosion on them this will cause a broken circuit and no power.
It could also be that the radio is just dead.

Back