Carlton Cole in cop shame after fan row

Mooley

TK Veteran
CARLTON COLE was restrained by police and security guards after a bust-up with a supporter on a disastrous night for crisis-hit West Ham.

Angry fans also turned on boss Gianfranco Zola as the Hammers fell deep into relegation trouble with defeat to Wolves - their FIFTH straight loss.

Striker Benni McCarthy said: "I thought Coley knew the guy at first as they were speaking normally.

"Eventually I saw some other players go back out and drag him inside."

And a West Ham fan who witnessed the event told SunSport that Cole was dragged down the tunnel - only to return to hurl more abuse at the fan.

Teenager Jonnie Chew from Barking - a season- ticket holder for three years - said: "Cole got some abuse from the fans and gave some back.

"Police and security took him away but then he came back for more.

"The cops dealt with him and told the fans around the tunnel to leave."

Goals from Kevin Doyle, Ronald Zubar and Matthew Jarvis condemned West Ham to their worst run under Zola. The pressure is mounting on the Italian.

The manager said: "Cole represents West Ham and he's trying. Whether he's not playing at his best is one matter, he's trying.

"I've been told he had a problem with some fan."

Supporters also called for Zola's head and accused his flops of being unfit to wear the shirt.

Former Man City boss Mark Hughes, ex-Hammers defender Slaven Bilic and Steve McClaren are being touted as possible successors if Zola is axed by co-owners David Gold and David Sullivan.

Zola said: "I try to do my best every day. If that's not considered good enough, there you go. It's my duty to correct that, I take full responsibility."

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy said: "I didn't expect to come here and win this comfortably.

"If it'd been at Wolves, we'd have had a nervy crowd on our backs if we'd conceded. It's the same at Man City, Halifax or Barnsley. Big pressure."

you can sort of understand his being pee'd off as they had just lost and he was getting a mouthful, but to come back for more was a bit stupid

Back