Cavani fine

gravehead

TK Veteran
Just read that Edison Cavani has been fined a ridiculous £100000 for a comment he made on twitter and banned for 3 games.
It's always made me wonder where the money goes?

Yeah gotta be so carefull what ya say nowadays and 100k is pocket change to most of them with the salary they get ffs :X3:

100k ain't nothing to him.

Social media is poison plain and simple.

But do believe he made a racist comment and didn't realise he did.

Luis Suarez was handed an 8 match ban for using the same term against United's Patrice Evra... I don't believe for one minute that Cavani wasn't aware of the controversy caused there and that he didn't know the term was offensive in the UK.

maxresdefault.jpg

Luis Suarez was handed an 8 match ban for using the same term against United's Patrice Evra... I don't believe for one minute that Cavani wasn't aware of the controversy caused there and that he didn't know the term was offensive in the UK.

View attachment 57253

No what i mean is he may thought wasn't racist but that ain't no excuse. You are in another country you need to be aware of the culture and more importantly what you say. Saying he didnt think it was racist is not an excuse you get just get by with.

Do agree precedent was set with suarez and same match ban should have applied to cavani.

it is not racist to talk to a friend using your mother tongue/slang

in latin america the word is nothing to do with race. its an affectionate term for people who have darker skin than average.

the nearest english word would be tanned.

however, it does sound like an english word that is a term of racist abuse in english

gary neville was on sky sports the day after asking "why isn't edison cavani subjected to inclusivity and diversity training the minute he lands in the country'

this is a man who didn't even bother to learn spanish when he lived and worked there. yet because he has misunderstood a word written in a language he cannot speak, set in a cultural context he doesn't understand he believes foreigners are so innately racist that they should not be allowed into the country without being trained to english standards on diversity. the irony here is so delicious it could be spread on toast.

neville is a pig-ignorant little englander and has there displayed far more racism and xenophobia than cavani.

wrt to suarez

the allegation was not that he used negrito, but the spansih word for black

given that the he used it in this context:

"Mr Evra's evidence was that, in response to his question "Why did you kick me?", Mr Suárez replied "Porque tu eres negro". Mr Evra said that at the time Mr Suárez made that comment, he (Mr Evra) understood it to mean "Because you are a nigger". He now says that he believes the words used by Mr Suárez mean "Because you are black".

Mr Evra said that he followed up Mr Suárez's reply "Because you are black" by saying "Habla otra vez asi, te voy a dar una porrada", which means "Say it to me again, I'm going to punch you". Mr Suárez replied by saying "No hablo con los negros". Mr Evra said that, at the time, he understood this to mean "I don't speak to niggers", although he now says it means "I don't speak to blacks".

i don't think the two incidents are in any way relatable

Last edited:
it is not racist to talk to a friend using your mother tongue/slang

in latin america the word is nothing to do with race. its an affectionate term for people who have darker skin than average.

the nearest english word would be tanned.

however, it does sound like an english word that is a term of racist abuse in english

gary neville was on sky sports the day after asking "why isn't edison cavani subjected to inclusivity and diversity training the minute he lands in the country'

this is a man who didn't even bother to learn spanish when he lived and worked there. yet because he has misunderstood a word written in a language he cannot speak, set in a cultural context he doesn't understand he believes foreigners are so innately racist that they should not be allowed into the country without being trained to english standards on diversity. the irony here is so delicious it could be spread on toast.

neville is a pig-ignorant little englander and has there displayed far more racism and xenophobia than cavani.

wrt to suarez

the allegation was not that he used negrito, but the spansih word for black

given that the he used it in this context:

i don't think the two incidents are in any way relatable
100% agree, great comment and well broken down (y)

Just read that Edison Cavani has been fined a ridiculous £100000 for a comment he made on twitter and banned for 3 games.
It's always made me wonder where the money goes?
But where do the fines go? Back into grass roots football, paying the wages of the top brass at the FA?

Putting it into context if you take home £500 a week you get a fine for £133.

Taking the urine comes to mind. He'll miss a couple of weeks a still get paid.
I don't watch Premier no more. In todays climate the money their on and the way they flaunt it makes me wanna gaff bile.
Plus,
Their a bunch of diving moaning pussies and the quality of Premiership football is awful. Every teams goes out not to lose were it should be to win , boring sh#te

The bosses are not going to take the money lol. The fine is a pittance compared to the fa's turnover - it'd be like your local Tesco selling an extra bottle of wine.

You can see the FAs accounts online.

They made around 40m profit last year, invested 120m back into the game and had about 140m in operating costs - 70m of which was wages. The directors responsible for 1m of that

I don't watch Premier no more. In todays climate the money their on and the way they flaunt it makes me wanna gaff bile.
Plus,
Their a bunch of diving moaning pussies and the quality of Premiership football is awful. Every teams goes out not to lose were it should be to win , boring sh#te

Disagree with that. I've never seen as many Premier League teams play attacking formations as the last few years... 4-3-3 is almost the norm. The teams who are promoted would traditionally try to grind out enough results to stay in the league in their first season up, but recently we've seen teams like Huddersfield and Sheffield United coming up and having a real go, the days of the anti-football performances of Tony Pulis' Stoke City are thankfully rarely seen. That's not to say some managers don't have conservative styles - Dyche and Mourinho teams can be pretty dull but that's a means to an end. And George Graham's "boring, boring" Arsenal won trophies by churning out 1-0 wins.

I thought it was very harsh on Cavani. If you look at the context i.e. he'd only been here 5 minutes and doesn't really speak English, then couple it with that he was saying thank you to someone for praise, there's absolutely no argument that it was used as a term of endearment. I understand they're throwing the book around at the minute but I don't think we should be beyond common sense. As soon as Cavani realised what had happened, he deleted it and apologised immediately.

The point is to fight against racism, this is not racism. I personally think this is the kind of reaction that fuels racism and is counter productive.

If anything it should have been Utd that was punished because they should be responsible for acclimatising their players to the new culture and social norms. Cavani should have publicly apologised and been sent on an education course (both of which have happened).

No what i mean is he may thought wasn't racist but that ain't no excuse. You are in another country you need to be aware of the culture and more importantly what you say. Saying he didnt think it was racist is not an excuse you get just get by with.

Do agree precedent was set with suarez and same match ban should have applied to cavani.
So what about Silva from man city getting a ONE match ban and 20 grand I think it was, for using the same expression to I think it was his team mate Mendy earlier on this season, the FA are a bunch of hypocrits and a good point raised by someone earlier about where the fine money
goes

So what about Silva from man city getting a ONE match ban and 20 grand I think it was, for using the same expression to I think it was his team mate Mendy earlier on this season, the FA are a bunch of hypocrits and a good point raised by someone earlier about where the fine money
goes

I think should apply to all players no matter status of them or club.

Might be bit excessive and over the top but should apply to ALL be in english players or anyone from abroad.

Cant have one rule for one player and another for another. Has to be applied across the board to all imo.

Cavani apologised and removed post however squarez said he had never said it and never apologised so ban lengths appropriate.

Do gooders have ruined this country full stop.

If I was Cavani I'd get a top lawyer to appeal this ban and fine bang iout of order. He only posted a message to a mate who was happy with it and made no complaint, what's all the fuss about?

Do gooders have ruined this country full stop.

If I was Cavani I'd get a top lawyer to appeal this ban and fine bang iout of order. He only posted a message to a mate who was happy with it and made no complaint, what's all the fuss about?

You can't beat the PC brigade mate. His sponsors would probably drop him in an instant. United would cancel his contract....he would literally be cancelled lol.

Bending over and taking it was the smart play. The only play.

You can't beat the PC brigade mate. His sponsors would probably drop him in an instant. United would cancel his contract....he would literally be cancelled lol.

Bending over and taking it was the smart play. The only play.
Yeah I would of thought his advisors would probably of told him just take it but personally I would be like, well I didnt mean no racism why should I take the punishment, only united and cavani know what conversations there has been.

Back