Cctv and police

Brucey89

Recently installed cctv to my old mans house to watch his garden and car which sits on the road.
Its only 1 camera. He had a visit today from a detective asking what the camera covers and could he see the set up. Didnt say why but that they were out checking for new cctv locations.
Is this normal practise in northern ireland?

Is it located anywhere near the recent troubles?, they could be trying to pick up a passing car reg or someone walking past heading to somewere.
I'm not stereotyping I just wondered

It's common practice everywhere.
First thing they do after a crime is look for private cctv cameras.
Some are already logged in their systems but with new ones going up daily means they like to have them on record

I think it's the norm tbh

Place my brother is staying at there was a burglary few doors down from him.

Police noticed he had cameras and asked if his cameras caught anything. But due to how far away camaras were couldn't really see who it was or the vehicles.

Last edited:
Is it located anywhere near the recent troubles?, they could be trying to pick up a passing car reg or someone walking past heading to somewere.
I'm not stereotyping I just wondered
No in a quiet enough area, i rang the officer that called an he said similar that it was incase there was any burglaries or accidents in the future.

Just check what cameras you put up, mine are due for a revamp.
A neighbours works van got robbed all his tools went missing.

My camera caught one of them stood as a lookout but my cameras which I thought were decent (2mb hikvision 40m IR) weren't good enough at night and even though the guy looked like a neighbours smackhead son the footage wasn't good enough to get a conviction.

I'm going POE 5mb cameras new full copper CAT5e. They serve no purpose if they can't get some kind of a decent shot of their mugs

I couldn't be bothered with all the wiring, so got the Eufy WiFi ones HD with 6 months battery life.
I paid £145 for Hub and two cameras on black Friday then added two cameras on Boxing Day sale £62 each.
I'm impressed the only down bit is there is a little gap before detection and record ! But both of our paths and drive are long so kick in before you get to doors! or near house

My French guest used cat 6.
As cable on cctv, capped over and placed under concrete. I to, showed my neighbours via app what I was viewing, as to not annoy them..

sometimes they will also ask to see the coverage if a neighbour has complained that it "looks" like it is pointing onto their property
when I installed them I used to tell customers to show the neighbours on their phone/tablet what it captured and ask if they were happy with it,
occassionally had a neighbour asking for a camera to be moved to cover more of their property if possible

I like my brother have ring cameras.

Personally think they are average. They are not providing quality picture at day time or night time. But got them dirt cheap of mate so can't moan to much.

Think some mates of mine who have cctv said nest and arlo are really good cameras especially at night time.

sometimes they will also ask to see the coverage if a neighbour has complained that it "looks" like it is pointing onto their property
when I installed them I used to tell customers to show the neighbours on their phone/tablet what it captured and ask if they were happy with it,
occassionally had a neighbour asking for a camera to be moved to cover more of their property if possible
PTZ then move it back :) what kills me is, its the same paranoid people without cameras are the first to knock on your door when any shut goes down.
I never ever look at mine, I only look when I'm out just to see who's home when I'm out.

Last edited:
Interesting thread, I never knew police pestered homeowners if they have CCTV, and registered them on their database. If I get them installed I'll just
be telling them they're dummys or they're not working lol

mmm isn't all this cctv m'larkey just bringing attention to your home? surely with cctv you are telling the world you have something worth pinching?
never heard of the police keeping records of homes with cctv and to send out a detective to ask if ridiculous, they could just send out a civilian office clerk.
surely thieves nowadays wear dark clothing balacalavas and hide their faces anyway or am I wrong?
My cctv, was purely as a deterrent cameras, are recessed, so not in your face,
I have decent car, which if stolen will have evidence to provide to insurers, more importantly living in a village in the countryside, the dog has quadrupled in price, to due to dognapping.

Last edited:
I've caught ppl trying it on, shed, backdoor, so mines staying. We got one scrouts name off Facebook and my eldest paid him a visit.
Police ? joking aren't ya! unless there's a body in your garden they won't come out.
Saying that call a neighbour a miserable c##t you might get them come out then.
The Police had the nerve to ask me,
"Is the sound on your cameras?"

I said:
"Hang On a sec!, I might not have the been the brightest button at school but at least give me some f##kin credit !!,

I've caught ppl trying it on, shed, backdoor, so mines staying. We got one scrouts name off Facebook and my eldest paid him a visit.
Police ? joking aren't ya! unless there's a body in your garden they won't come out.
Saying that call a neighbour a miserable c##t you might get them come out then.
The Police had the nerve to ask me,
"Is the sound on your cameras?"

I said:
"Hang On a sec!, I might not have the been the brightest button at school but at least give me some f##kin credit !!,
I got a knock on the door, for trimming the settings on my Drone. Not one but 2 police officers.
They were clueless when I reiterated, the CAA rule book

I have the ring setup, absolutely brilliant, motion sensors are great, the floodlight on the floodlight cam is spot on! aslong as you have a good router you won't have no problems with them, motion sensors are worthit, there so good, I have no complaints with the ring system to be honest, easy to set up, plus when your abroad there's no problem loading it up on your phone to check around, and the siren alarm which can be triggerd on the app is good also, if anyone is interested in the floodlight cam, don't buy the current one as ring are bringing a new one out very soon to hit the UK

I have the ring setup, absolutely brilliant, motion sensors are great, the floodlight on the floodlight cam is spot on! aslong as you have a good router you won't have no problems with them, motion sensors are worthit, there so good, I have no complaints with the ring system to be honest, easy to set up, plus when your abroad there's no problem loading it up on your phone to check around, and the siren alarm which can be triggerd on the app is good also, if anyone is interested in the floodlight cam, don't buy the current one as ring are bringing a new one out very soon to hit the UK

Maybe its just me but I have the ring spotlight cam and generally find the quality of the camera to be average even during the day time.

Maybe because its a bit far from the router which may be the issue.

The motion detection on them can be hit and miss and have to get the sweet spot otherwise you get motion detections every few minutes which is a ball ache.

Do agree the alarm siren feature on the app is very handy for situations lol.

There decent cameras tbh but wouldnt get them again personally. Got them new of my mate dirt cheap at the time so was worth it then.

Back