Celtic And Rangers

pupuqiop

TK Supporter
With the dust starting to settle after this week's failed breakaway "European Super League" it's a good time to assess what the footballing world really thinks of Scotland's top two football clubs.

Even with "those famous Champions League nights" at Parkhead, even with the years of insistence they're big fish in a small pond, even with the mind numbingly boring perennial debate as to whether they'd cut it in the EPL, they weren't even in the thinking of the founder clubs when they formed the proposed new competition. Can the Scots finally accept they're a footballing nonentity? A quaint little league that nobody outside of Scotland cares about?

Todays scottish league simply put is really poor standard.

Gone are the day of quality scottish players coming through and competitve games and not just the two big clubs dominating.

Was surprised though both were not considered as founding clubs of the ESL seeing as the rich history both have.

Rumours are Jose might go to Celtic but who knows whats gona happen with him.

With hardly any investment in the scottish football you have said quality dwindle year in year out which in turn affects the national team big time.

Celtic fans will never accept Jose as manager, never, they couldnt afford him anyway, Eddie Howe had agreed a deal in principle several weeks ago, but then Celtic started ballsing him about over his backroom team, originally he was to find a role somewhere for Kennedy and Gavin Strachan, Howe agreed but not with the first team squad, all seemed to be progressing well until Celtic moved the goalposts, they then wanted Howe to take Kennedy as his assistant and Strachan and Stephen McManus as 2 coaches, something which Howe will not do, the reason Celtic are messing about was just to see how Celtics result against Rangers went in the cup, if they had of won, then they would have waited further to see if they had of won the cup, then if they had then have won it, Kennedy would have got the job. Celtic are penny pinching once again regarding this as well as other matters, When Lennon got the boot, his backroom team should have went too, as they were every bit as much to blame for this shambles of a season, bad performances on the pitch, players breaking Covid rules and the disastrous winter break to Dubai, which ended up costing them valuable points in the league with having to play unproven players and reserves after most of the first team players got covid during their trip, The supporters club that I belong to has backed a few other clubs in N-Ireland and the south of Ireland in the signing of a fans open letter to the club, stating the frustrations of supporters of the way the club is going, but overall the facts are the standard of football has dropped alarmingly season by season, mainly due to lack of money in the game in Scotland. Celtic had a good proper football manager in Brendan Rodgers, but they blew that one by not backing in fully with funds to bring in new players, Brendan won every trophy he played for domestically in Scotland and he did want to be the man that secured 10 in a row, then he would have departed, but Peter Lawwell did a sneaky deal with Lennon to come back, paving the way for Rodgers to go to Leicester, for which Celtic got £9 million from, once again it was all about saving money, hopefully now that Lawwell is leaving in June, his successor Dominic McKay puts more focus on the football side of things, put I am not holding my breadth with that one.

Last edited:
With the dust starting to settle after this week's failed breakaway "European Super League" it's a good time to assess what the footballing world really thinks of Scotland's top two football clubs.

Even with "those famous Champions League nights" at Parkhead, even with the years of insistence they're big fish in a small pond, even with the mind numbingly boring perennial debate as to whether they'd cut it in the EPL, they weren't even in the thinking of the founder clubs when they formed the proposed new competition. Can the Scots finally accept they're a footballing nonentity? A quaint little league that nobody outside of Scotland cares about?
Over the years Scotland has has many a good player in Englands top divisions but the influx of european and south american players seems to be the norm now.
There is no questioning that both glasgow clubs have a large following, where there's alcohol there will be scotsmen, and I would agree with you, nobody outside does care about it bar scotsmen.
How boring must it be to know that you are playing ONE team 4 times in a season to determine where the title ends up, god forbid.

Several years ago the atlantic league was proposed with the old firm as 2 of the teams, along with teams from Swedan Norway, Denmark , Netherlands and Portugal, it had the backing of domestic leagues in each country and there were plenty of TV stations wanting to show it, but in the end fans voted against it, and by the way, its not only people in Scotland that follow Celtic and Ranger, thousands of supporters clubs in Ireland, north and south, plenty in England too, and worldwide.

Kinda silly to day massive clubs that's are Rangers and Celtic don't have a big following.

They have a global fan base worldwide as you would expect with massive clubs.
Who said they don't have a large following? Not me. Don't let others on here see you posting things like global fan base, they will get all upset. In their eyes remember you are only allowed to follow your little local club.

Who said they don't have a large following? Not me. Don't let others on here see you posting things like global fan base, they will get all upset. In their eyes remember you are only allowed to follow your little local club.

Don't concern me what people think regarding me being a United fan.

Might not been born there but lived there as a kid for a couple of years with my uncle and auntie and my cousin took me to couple of games and been there few times myself.

Mainly gone to away games when they came to villa park over the years.

Villa is my "local" team and always support them and want them to do well. Well not when playing united lol.

Don't concern me what people think regarding me being a United fan.

Might not been born there but lived there as a kid for a couple of years with my uncle and auntie and my cousin took me to couple of games and been there few times myself.

Mainly gone to away games when they came to villa park over the years.

Villa is my "local" team and always support them and want them to do well. Well not when playing united lol.
I know you are a United fan as I am and it's great, we embrace a worldwide fanbase, that's why we are the biggest club in the world. My message was referring to the Leicester fan who scorned anyone who dare follow a team and don't live in the locality.
He's supported his local team all his life and is unaware that life and people exist outside his little bubble lol

I know you are a United fan as I am and it's great, we embrace a worldwide fanbase, that's why we are the biggest club in the world. My message was referring to the Leicester fan who scorned anyone who dare follow a team and don't live in the locality.
He's supported his local team all his life and is unaware that life and people exist outside his little bubble lol
While United are big they aren't the biggest. Purely based on global fan base Real Madrid and Barca have much larger following around the world. Just saying. Barcelona/Real Madrid generate the most revenue also.

While United are big they aren't the biggest. Purely based on global fan base Real Madrid and Barca have much larger following around the world. Just saying. Barcelona/Real Madrid generate the most revenue.

Think your right there especially regarding global fan base of those two clubs.

For example in the middle east I would hazard a guess vast majority are fans of either Madrid or Barca.

I'm going to support Man United now because I once did visit Manchester! It was Strange ways! But it's probably more times than you have been there I'm guessing you don't live there as you support City as well!

Why does most threads have to involve man (terd) utd lol you will be making 36red head swell he won't be able to rest it on his pillow now.
Personally I would've said utd had biggest global fan base especially over seas

You can pluck figures out the air when it comes to best supported around the world Top 10: These are Europe's most popular football clubs. I guess it's always going to be close between Real, Barca and United.

According to Forbes Barca just edge it in terms of revenue. All very close.

@bazcfc1 I'd have said United several years back especially 90's early 00's. But with Madrid winning several European Cups recently and the Icon that is Ronaldo and what he generates (I know he played for united lol) I would say Madrid probably have the largest following. Who knows though unless we do a head count lol!

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
You can pluck figures out the air when it comes to best supported around the world Top 10: These are Europe's most popular football clubs. I guess it's always going to be close between Real, Barca and United.

According to Forbes Barca just edge it in terms of revenue. All very close.

@bazcfc1 I'd have said United several years back especially 90's early 00's. But with Madrid winning several European Cups recently and the Icon that is Ronaldo and what he generates (I know he played for united lol) I would say Madrid probably have the largest following. Who knows though unless we do a head count lol!

View attachment 60590

Im personally not fussed whether they are no 1 or not.

But not surprised about those 5 clubs there being up there. They are gigantic clubs and have a HUGE overseas fan base.

Would say AC Milan also as they are such an iconic club but they havent been that great club for quite a long time and have their own financial issues.

Im personally not fussed whether they are no 1 or not.

But not surprised about those 5 clubs there being up there. They are gigantic clubs and have a HUGE overseas fan base.

Would say AC Milan also as they are such an iconic club but they havent been that great club for quite a long time and have their own financial issues.
Yeah fully agree. Between both Milans they have 10 European trophies between them. Shame the corruption in Italy! Crazy how time eclipses some club’s world following. In the early 70's there was nothing bigger than Ajax they rarely get a mention these days.

Back