Champions League Restart

Whole load of balls!!!

Good no two legged ties.
Not quite right, City V Madrid IS a second leg (probably a couple of the others too, no memory)

But who ever wins this year wont really feel special imo.
Why ever not? Because the semi final will only be one legged? I dont think that will make a difference to a player whose team comes out on top? Or for that matter, a fan of that team (personally, I dont like the competition, give me the European cup any day with only the winners of each league in it)

Just my opinion mate. Compared to previous seasons this season and conclusion of it wont feel as special which is understandable for obvious reasons.

Dont worry mate City will flop as has been the case over the years :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I cant see past Bayern personally.

Not a fan of the tournament either, I'd much prefer to see a "Champions" tournament with the winners from each country's league. All about the money. But the players seem to value it highly, you often hear them speak of the special European nights and the atmosphere.

At the end of the day, the final is played over one leg, so why not the quarters and semi finals, it will be different , yes, but it will not take away any of the glamour or prestige, if you win the champions league, then you are the best club team in Europe for that year, no matter how many matches you play, for me Man City has a real big incentive to win it as they think they have been harshly treated by UEFA, so this is a real chance for them to make a statement on the pitch, and I really hope they do that and go all the way and win it, there is of course 2nd legs to come for some champions league games and Europa league games, but its some more top notch football to look forward to. It will only be a one off anyway, similar to international tournament football

I agree poorer teams dilute the whole "champions league" concept.

Still good to watch as a fan and history of it.

But think the best of the best should be going against each other. They were discussing such an idea the top clubs but nothing came of it.

It'd never get voted through, 3 EPL teams would miss out on the prestige every season if it was Champions.

It'd never get voted through, 3 EPL teams would miss out on the prestige every season if it was Champions.
You are right, those days are long gone, I am old enough to remember when it was just the champions of each country that qualified and it started at 16 matches in september, 32 teams in the tournament, I remember our champions in 1976, Crusaders, being drawn to play Liverpool and the scramble that ensued for my dad, a Crusaders fan from a child himself to get tickets, he got 3, for himself. me and my uncle, it was a wonderful occasion for me, and a day that I will never forget, the stadium was jam packed and I watched the game sitting on my dads and uncles shoulders, Liverpool won 5-0 and then won the 2nd leg 2-0 at Anfield a fortnight later, before going on to win the trophy for the 1st time in Rome, the following May.

A great memory that Graham. Nowadays teams like Crusaders would be lucky to get Liverpool to send a second string out for a pre-season friendly. Sad.

A great memory that Graham. Nowadays teams like Crusaders would be lucky to get Liverpool to send a second string out for a pre-season friendly. Sad.
Played them in a few friendlys in the early 1980's, I remember Grobbelaars 1st season and one of his 1st matches was against the Crues, August 1981, I think, was at that one with a few friends, another big crowd, but not as big as before, The Crues have been drawn against Fulham in the Europa league a few years back and of course got drawn against Wolves in the qualifiers this season.

Whole load of balls!!!

Not quite right, City V Madrid IS a second leg (probably a couple of the others too, no memory)

Why ever not? Because the semi final will only be one legged? I dont think that will make a difference to a player whose team comes out on top? Or for that matter, a fan of that team (personally, I dont like the competition, give me the European cup any day with only the winners of each league in it)
There's Bayern vs Chelsea aswell 2nd leg lol

There's Bayern vs Chelsea aswell 2nd leg lol
I didnt want to Google, and have a crap memory, now that I have, I dont really see a way back for CFC considering Bayern will be a lot more match fit.
I can, however, see City getting turned over by Real, typical Ity, get a great result, then this happens allowing everyone who was missing get match fit again

Really hope we dont see Barca or Real winning it again.

Would be great for someone fresh to win it like Napoli, Lyon, Leipzig or Atalanta. Know its unlikely but never know.

Back