Channel scrambled, wont update past 100% >>fix<<

Hi All,

Well last night I started to research about the Kryptview A780 as my friends box had lost most of the channels and they where stuck on "Channel Scrambled", in addition the box would not update.. it would get to 100% but not continue to unzip the downloaded firmware and then install it. So even though this has all been covered I'll recap on how I managed to fix it and *hopefully* provide you with the correct information as to why this happens.

Channel Scrambled
Now if you have a Kryptview A780 and all of a sudden you have been loosing channels this may be the fix for you! every now and again the channels get moved around hence why you will eventually lose signal to the channel. Usually this would be bypassed by ensuring your box is kept up to date with the newest firmware, however some people don't check for updates using their remote control to enter the option "check for S/W update" and what will happen is an update will be released and you may miss this update because your box is working and dont think you need one and then at a later date when another new software has been released and you've lost some channels you try to update only to find it gets stuck at 100%. So to resolve your problem I will now take you through what I had to do to fix BOTH the channel scrambled and software update problem.

Channel Scrambled and Update Fix
As you should have just picked up in the last paragraph if your update does not work from the box using the remote control then you more than likely missed an update and the box will be unable to apply the update (hence why it downloads the file fully but will not unzip and install). So what we need to do is manually apply the firmware ourselves with a computer and null modem cable. If your computer is quite new or your laptop then you may need to purchase the USB to Null Modem adapter or if it has a null modem port then you just need the Null Modem lead on its own. Providing you have these leads with you I will now go on to talk through how to use them. First off if you have to use the USB to Null Modem Adapter then you will need the drivers for the Operating System (a driver is pretty much a set of instructions to say to the operating system "when the USB lead is inserted you need to do X, Y and Z").

If you have a computer with the Null Modem Port then you don't need the drivers. Once you have these drivers turn off your Kryptview box from the back, once done attach the Null Modem lead into the computer and then into the back of your Kryptview box (if you have to use the USB to Null Modem adapter then insert the USB into your computer and then attach the Null Modem lead onto the end and then into the Kryptview box). Once done you're computer should make a the common noise you hear when you attach a USB device. Look in the bottom right corner and you should see that the operating system is searching for the driver, or installing it. Either way just wait until it says "Driver successfully installed".

Now we need to know what port the operating system is using for the Null Modem lead, so to do this just press the start button and type in the white search box "Device manager" without quotes and then click on Device Manager. Once in device manager click the little + icon next to where it says something like "Ports" and you should then see one thing inside stating "Port X" I have entered X as it could say "Port 1 or port 4 and so fourth" the point is make sure you remember which one it is using.

Go to the downloads page on this forum and download both the Kryptview A780 firmware and the "Loader software". Open up your Loader software (if using Windows 7 and up then right click and run as administrator to be safe). You will now need to select the "Download" icon and a dialogue box will appear asking you to browse for the ".bin" firmware file, this is the file you get from the downloads section on this forum. Once done you will see the drop down option to select the port your computer is using, you would have got this from the device manager as previously stated. Once you have got the correct port hit "Start" and then turn your kryptview box on, you should see on the front of the Kryptview box it doing some some spinning thing on the front and the "Loader" application should have a little window telling you how many % it has done so far, wait until it has completed. Once done you can now go ahead with setting the channels up, so for the Kryptview A780 do this.

1.Pull the Ethernet lead out of the back
2.Disconnect the coaxial lead from your MODEM (this will give some extra power to your Kryptview when searching for channels)
3.Factory reset the box to remove all the channels,
4.then go on to do an automatic scan, you will be represented with two options, the top one is your cable provider such as telewest, and for the second option it should be set to Network.
5.Press the green button on your remote
6.then you will be represented after a short few moments with some areas, choose the one closest to you (or if you know it the one that your virgin box was set to)
wait until it has finished
7.pop your coaxial lead back into the modem
8.put the Ethernet lead back into the Kryptview box
9.turn off the Kryptview box and the modem and then turn them off from the wall for 30 seconds then turn them both back on
once the Kryptview has started give it a good 5 minutes to start up (sometime this can be to give the modem or superhub a chance to get started up and offer the Kryptview box an internet connection)

Check if your channels are working, if they are then great continue to the next step.. if they aren't continue to the next step as well.

From the menu on your Kryptview box go to the part where it says "S/W update" and this time it shouldn't get stuck at 100% it should get to 100% then say unzipping and then say flashing! For people with the updating issue this is you sorted for people with channel scrambled you should now repeat the set-up procedure from 1 to 9 we earlier did ensuring that you follow it thoroughly!

If the channels do not show up then doing this hasn't neccesarily gone to waste, you can now rule out firmware being an issue and maybe look at your coaxial connections.. are they good quality and solid connections? or are they home made and possibly loose connections? all this can contribute to a loss of channels.

Word of advise, to not have future problems search for an update using your Remote Control atleast once every month.. if you miss and update and try to update two months later you may have to do this all over again! otherwise your Kryptview will download and install the update for you.

PLEASE NOTE I DONT HAVE A KRYPTVIEW BOX AT ALL! I HAVE RESEARCHED FOR TWO DAYS AND TRIED THIS ON A FRIENDS BOX THEREFORE I MAY HAVE MADE SOME MISTAKES EXPLAINING THINGS. I'VE GONE THROUGH THE EFFORT TO WRITE THIS UP TO HELP OTHERS SO PLEASE DONT MOAN IF I HAVE MADE PETTY MISTAKES IM A NOOB IN PROGRESS =] and last but not least I hope it solves your problems!!!

Last edited:
Would have been easier to give them the you tube link, would have saved you a lot of writing !

[video=youtube;Q2RbdhH7_b4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2RbdhH7_b4[/video]

That may be true, but you never know if it helps one person out ill be happy. It's a lot of writing but if people really want there channels back badly they should read it.

That was some serious writing..and as sweet as you may be mr... i can assure you anyone who is.. how shall we say... "sat/cable NMFM" (that means No Money From Me..lol) will know where to look.. Ted..Null modem king..!!

Thanks for taking a lot of time & effort in typing out your detailed post. Although you said that you don't want anyone moaning about petty mistakes, I think a few things need a mention to clarify things...

"...Now if you have a Kryptview A780 and all of a sudden you have been loosing channels this may be the fix for you! every now and again the channels get moved around hence why you will eventually lose signal to the channel. Usually this would be bypassed by ensuring your box is kept up to date with the newest firmware..."

If channels change transponders all that's required is a rescan, not a firmware update.

"...If your computer is quite new or your laptop then you may need to purchase the USB to Null Modem adapter or if it has a null modem port then you just need the Null Modem lead on its own..."

There's no such thing as a "null modem adapter or port". It's an RS232 serial port or COM port. It's the lead that needs to be a null modem type.

"...Now we need to know what port the operating system is using for the Null Modem lead, so to do this just press the start button and type in the white search box "Device manager" without quotes and then click on Device Manager. Once in device manager click the little + icon next to where it says something like "Ports" and you should then see one thing inside stating "Port X" I have entered X as it could say "Port 1 or port 4 and so fourth" the point is make sure you remember which one it is using..."

The Ports menu in device manager will list all COM ports, and will not distinguish between the ones that are connected & those that are not, so it's probable that you will see more than just "one thing" in the Ports menu. Mine shows COM1 & COM2, even though I only have 1 inbuilt Com port connector on the back of the pc. If you are using a USB to RS232 adapter, however, this will probably be easy to pick out.

"...1.Pull the Ethernet lead out of the back..."

What's the reason for unplugging the ethernet cable?

"...2.Disconnect the coaxial lead from your MODEM (this will give some extra power to your Kryptview when searching for channels)..."

Doing this could actually make things worse! An unterminated port on a 2 way splitter could send reflections down the cable & weaken certain frequencies. If you want to temporarily obtain a stronger signal, then disconnect the splitter altogether & plug the cable that went into the input of the splitter straight into the Kryptview box.

"...9.turn off the Kryptview box and the modem and then turn them off from the wall for 30 seconds then turn them both back on..."

I don't see the reason for turning the modem off & on, but if you do, make sure you turn it back on, and let it establish an internet connection (all lights in their proper state) before turning the Kryptview box back on. If you don't do it in this order, the Kryptview box may not get an automatic IP address.

Thanks for your input, ill edit and change this when I get in so others will follow the changes. I meant picking up on petty mistakes as in people like having a go saying I'm doing this and that wrong and so forth rather than taking in I'm just trying my best to help others and not that I think I know it all. But thanks for your comment good to see someone appreciates it in some way or another :)

Back