Charge Against World Cup Intruder Dropped

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
A charge against a football fan who entered the England team's dressing room during the World Cup has been dropped.


52.jpg

Pavlos Joseph went into England's dressing room


Pavlos Joseph was arrested for walking into a restricted area, where players were changing after their group stage match against Algeria on June 18.

The 32-year-old from Crystal Palace, southeast London, paid a 750 rand (£65) admission of guilt fine on Monday, magistrates in Cape Town, South Africa, heard.

Defence lawyer Craig Webster said a deal had been reached that the charge of breaching the Fifa Special Regulations Act should be withdrawn.

Joseph, who was accused of being in an area without being in possession of the necessary accreditation, did not attend the court.

The Briton had told the Sunday Mirror he was looking for a toilet at Green Point stadium after the match, when a security guard sent him in the direction of the players' tunnel.

Joseph claimed he took a wrong turn and found himself in the changing room, where he berated the players for their poor performance after a 0-0 draw.

He was arrested at the Bay Hotel, Camps Bay, on June 20 - the day his claims appeared in the Sunday Mirror.

Magistrates initially banned him from attending any more World Cup matches, his passport was seized and he was released on 500 rand (£44) bail.

Sunday Mirror journalist Simon Wright, 44, was arrested on Monday at Cape Town international airport.

He was charged with defeating the ends of justice and flouting the Immigration Act.

Wright appeared in court two-and-a-half hours later, where he was granted 3,000 rand (£260) bail and his passport was confiscated. The case against him was adjourned until July 7.

The intrusion, which happened minutes after Princes William and Harry left the dressing room, prompted the Football Association to complain to World Cup organiser Fifa.
 
Top