Cheap Android Boxes

I am currently using Firesticks and they're great for the price; but I'm thinking of trying out an Android TV box instead. I don't really fancy spending more than £40 given its just for IPTV and streaming apps, so not considering Nvidia or MII boxes. Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap Android boxes like those generic brand ones on Amazon? What are your experiences with them? What's the interface like?

Are you wanting 4k Prime and Netflix because you wont find that on cheap android boxes.

Most will run a mobile version of android too but if you like playing around a lot of them will take a AndroidTV rom.

Even former boxes run more android and they are not cheap.

You also have to be careful. Some have android tv. But still use android mobile in the background. Buzz boxes are a e.g.

Are you wanting 4k Prime and Netflix because you wont find that on cheap android boxes.

Most will run a mobile version of android too but if you like playing around a lot of them will take a AndroidTV rom.
Not fussed with 4k. My firestick is good at what it does but pretty restricted. Fancy messing about with a basic box - putting android tv on should make it interesting

Ive got one, its crap, everytime you set the screen up for yourself or install a new app once ive turned it off it resets its self...

Anyone want it?

I like my 4K firestick and follow the firestick hacking dudes on tiktok.. I only use mine for iptv really but got plenty free tv on kodi and the like...

Anyone know how easy it is to install android tv rom on one of these cheap boxes?
Get a box with 4gb 64gb on a s904x4 or s905x4 chipset

Slimbox do a load of roms for these research and pick a model they support and youll end up with a android TV box. Tanix do some good boxes supported by slimbox.

You put the box into recovery mode to install a slimbox rom.

When finished you have a decent spec atv box far from been crap.

Get a box with 4gb 64gb on a s904x4 or s905x4 chipset

Slimbox do a load of roms for these research and pick a model they support and youll end up with a android TV box. Tanix do some good boxes supported by slimbox.

You put the box into recovery mode to install a slimbox rom.

When finished you have a decent spec atv box far from been crap.
That’s great advice. Cheers

There was a thread on the kodi forum which might interest you , in the "hardware" section entitled "Android tv vs Fire TV vs Shield vs other devices."
One guy bought one to try out , I had look on ebay , think the box cost around £48.00.
Specs:

Brand/Model: HK1 Rbox
CPU: S905X4
GPU: Mali-G31 MP2
RAM: 4GB
Storage: 64GB

Debatable Specs (that I will have to verify):
Ethernet: 1000M
USB: 1x 2.0, 1x 3.0

Other:
Price: $65
Not Google Certified - So no widevine stuff (probably)
Rootable via Settings (probably)
TF Card Slot (maybe for coreelec to install to)

Heres a review video:

Intention: play around with the pre-installed android until i get bored then install coreelec and play with that until i get bored. report anything interesting back here such as verified questionable specs and actual use performance.

i also ordered an extra 64GB microsd for it so itll have 128GB

Bump to this.

Looking for a recommendation as to whether to buy a Android box or just get a firestick 4K max.

The only usage will be for an IPTV provider, and using a RD account via streamio, so It needs ideally to be able to comfortably play 4K rips. This is for a relative that wants to upgrade his non 4K firestick ( which is very slow now)

Also worth noting that this won't be able to be connected via ethernet as the router is in another room

Any help would be appreciated, as I have no idea when it comes to specs

Thanks

If your abi
Bump to this.

Looking for a recommendation as to whether to buy a Android box or just get a firestick 4K max.

The only usage will be for an IPTV provider, and using a RD account via streamio, so It needs ideally to be able to comfortably play 4K rips. This is for a relative that wants to upgrade his non 4K firestick ( which is very slow now)

Also worth noting that this won't be able to be connected via ethernet as the router is in another room

Any help would be appreciated, as I have no idea when it comes to specs

Thanks
If you are technical minded, buy a android box and stick a ATV Rom on it. See my post above.

If not stick with a firestick.

Last edited:
I’m using an Onn 4K box from Walmart. Cost me $20. Has a weird bug where the audio dies and requires a reboot. I think it has something to do with my TV going into sleep mode, but I haven’t figured it out yet. A quick reboot solves it and it never happens while I’m watching anything.

I replaced my gen 1 firestick 4K with it because the firestick had a bug where it would lose internet connection and refuse to reconnect even after a reboot. Onn box allows me to uninstall more of the bloat too, which is nice since both my firestick and my Onn box are only 8gb.

I've got a couple of cheap android boxes, they run iptv as well as anything but both the remotes packed in not long after a year of owning them.

Back