Chelsea v West Brom

I'm a bit lost as to what your point is here regards the top 2 teams in the Scottish League. It's not the fanbase that's in question, its the marketing and pulling power of the old firm worldwide. Couple this up with lets say 90/100 million just for staying in the league. How would FFP play work then given that Celtic have no debt and Rangers are in debt I believe to the tune of 16 million soon to be wiped by the European money brought in this year/
So why would Rangers or Celtic not be able to cut the mustard? I would suggest that out-with Man utd, Man City, Liverpool and possibly Arsenal the old firm have far a bigger pull than any of the remaining teams in the EPL. All of whom are laden with debt trying to stay in that league, in fact I would suggest that Man utd have the most debt of the lot. Think this popped up of how unjust it was when everyone was gunning for City on FFP. As for the best league in the world, you could argue is correct but many would argue its not as if it were such a good league it would be seen to dominate the big trophies which in fairness they don't. In fact when you move it to international level this is where it really shows. So when you all sing "its coming home" it never really does. As a jock I know it will never come home, but you can dream as you always do because unless my memory is correct the quarter finals is the furthest you've been since Venables in 96 unless I have missed something
The players that both scottish teams have are not good enough to compete in the premier league. The SPL is a very weak league.

The players that both scottish teams have are not good enough to compete in the premier league. The SPL is a very weak league.
They are as strong as they need to be based on the competition in the spl and the revenue they receive.

Just look at the players past and present even young players who have joined epl from the spl.
To say the spl isn't a strong league they've had some exceptional players playing in that league

Again you miss the point, if they did join which they wont, do you think that players signed would be of the same calibre? The financial muscle generated if in the EPL with the old firm is far greater than 75% of the EPL teams
The debt that the majority of the EPL clubs have amassed is obscene and you think inviting two clubs the size of Ranger and Celtic they would struggle to compete with no debt?
I think that defies logic, the Rangers and Celtic of this world would be bought by mega rich owners imho and would have the buying power on a par close to the top 4, remember these 2 are not debt laden like the EPL teams. It's a no brainer and whilst we say money doesn't buy you the league, I would say that 70% of your league is about surviving and nothing more. That's why watching Burnley v Southampton to many is boring, nothing against any of those two teams but that's football. If Liverpool, Man utd, City or Chelski are playing I'd watch it. That's just the way it is!

Last edited:
Newcastle and Sunderland are two clubs that spring to mind who never do anything in the Premier League even with the big crowds they get. Gate receipts aren't a big part of a Premier League club's income.
it's a combination of both, the bigger clubs tend to attract more games for tv and revenue, which is where they would fall. Secondly a lot of their misfortune is down to mismanagement and Mike Ashley in terms of Newcastle.

A celtic team with Brendon Rodgers would imo with the money and revenue they would generate do very well.

I never mentioned the 2 scottish teams getting investment or big financial backing I said the SPL is pub football and those 2 teams would not cut the mustard in the EPL.
Hey it's my opinion which I am entitled to as are you.

As a jock I know it will never come home, but you can dream as you always do because unless my memory is correct the quarter finals is the furthest you've been since Venables in 96 unless I have missed something

As a Scots football supporter, your ambition stretches to the heady heights of being allowed to enter a football league belonging to a nation most of your fellow supporters openly despise. That's pitiful.

Born and Bred Londoner, Arsenal through and through, former season ticket holder,

Never watched more then highlights on spn of a scotish game! Couldnt care less either way, but do believe money and the right manager they could be a force

Born and Bred Londoner, Arsenal through and through, former season ticket holder,

Never watched more then highlights on spn of a scotish game! Couldnt care less either way, but do believe money and the right manager they could be a forc

As a Scots football supporter, your ambition stretches to the heady heights of being allowed to enter a football league belonging to a nation most of your fellow supporters openly despise. That's pitiful.
It don't stretch at all, I have stated if and it wont ever happen so I'm pretty clear. As for your nation comment I really think you should read up as I think the Rangers family is pretty much all for a nation and if you want to stretch that as a country and part of that nation 55% would agree

As for your nation comment I really think you should read up as I think the Rangers family is pretty much all for a nation and if you want to stretch that as a country and part of that nation 55% would agree

What does that even mean???

What does that even mean???
It means that the thread is about Chelsea and West Brom and that others posted about Scottish teams to which I have contributed to. Your heady heights comment has lost me as I clearly stated that it won't happen. The post is hypothetically based regards Scottish teams and I have answered in that manner, you nation comment seems a bit off topic so to say that we despise the nation is pitiful is way off imho. Otherwise we wouldn't be singing the God save the queen at every match, just saying...

It means that the thread is about Chelsea and West Brom and that others posted about Scottish teams to which I have contributed to. Your heady heights comment has lost me as I clearly stated that it won't happen. The post is hypothetically based regards Scottish teams and I have answered in that manner, you nation comment seems a bit off topic so to say that we despise the nation is pitiful is way off imho. Otherwise we wouldn't be singing the God save the queen at every match, just saying...
Agreed the thread was initially started to highlight why the premier league is the best league in the world, offering that game as an example to what makes our league the greatest.

On a separate note, if both England and Scotland made the quarter finals in major tournament, it would be an interesting social experiment to see how many scots would support england in their quarter final and vice versa if they were playing different teams. Not a betting man, but I'd say more england fans would support scotland then the other way

Agreed the thread was initially started to highlight why the premier league is the best league in the world, offering that game as an example to what makes our league the greatest.

On a separate note, if both England and Scotland made the quarter finals in major tournament, it would be an interesting social experiment to see how many scots would support england in their quarter final and vice versa if they were playing different teams. Not a betting man, but I'd say more england fans would support scotland then the other way
You may well be correct but again this would be hypothetical but I honestly do not see us being anywhere near the quarter finals of any major tournament any time soon lol. We probably have the best young squad in a while and maybe even the best two left backs in the UK along with some midfielders that are playing week in week out in the EPL but our manager is boring to say the least and I struggle to find how any player can get motivated under his stewardship. That's just my opinion!

Back