Cleaning Flagstones in Garden

36red

Don't have a massive garden just a few Flagstones down in front and back along with some grass.
Used my little pressure washer today, first time in 5 years at least and it took lots of dirt off them.
Still left with black stains on most Flagstones. Will bleach mixed with water 50/50 do the job?
Don't want to spend loads of Path Cleaner, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't have a massive garden just a few flags down in front and back along with some grass.
Used my little pressure washer today, first time in 5 years at least and it took lots of dirt off them.
Still left with black stains on most flags. Will bleach mixed with water 50/50 do the job?
Don't want to spend loads of Path Cleaner, thanks.
Mix together equal parts white vinegar and warm water. Make sure you do not use apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar or any other variety that is not clear, as they can stain your flagstones. Spray your flagstones with the vinegar and water solution, being careful not to soak any nearby vegetation.

Search YouTube for hypochloric acid, it’s like bleach but 10 times as strong, it helps get the black spots off along with the jet wash, you can get it on eBay for £25 or so, worked a treat for me.

Search YouTube for hypochloric acid, it’s like bleach but 10 times as strong, it helps get the black spots off along with the jet wash, you can get it on eBay for £25 or so, worked a treat for me.
ul need to water it down tho i used 85% wen i was at stone yard lol n trust me it burns ur nose n i have a lovely bun hole on my leg lol b+q patio cleaner is safer n works lol

A strong solution of jeys fluid is safest if animals or kids are around and will probably do do a better job if left over night and brushed and hosed down next day.

I never use any liquids of any kind on flagstones when I wash them. Just use my jet wash.

Have to say the jet wash is about 30 years old or so but the pressure from it makes the flagstones look as new when ever I clean them.

Tried some patrio cleaner that I had from yonks ago, did nothing.
Bought some ZEP from Screwfix as it had good ratings but that did nothing.
Flags still look like this:
flag1.jpg
flag2.jpg

Tried white vinegar and zep unconcentrated but the black marks ain't moving at all, might get some paint n paint em.

yes was thinking thats the last option. luckily i do have one knocking around somewhere but it means all bending down :frowning:
Yes mate I understand my old knees are almost shot plumber to trade always kneeling down and me at 63 it aint to good.
But better than 20 years back when arthritis struck me could not even walk for over 6 months but was gonna say I bounced back from that but not realy had to learn to crawl first :ROFLMAO:

Yes mate I understand my old knees are almost shot plumber to trade always kneeling down and me at 63 it aint to good.
But better than 20 years back when arthritis struck me could not even walk for over 6 months but was gonna say I bounced back from that but not realy had to learn to crawl first :ROFLMAO:
Sorry to hear that matey, at least you are still here alive and kicking and just a tad older than me. I always had problems kneeling even when much younger I think quite a few people suffer pain when kneeling. So if I have any plumbing problems you are the man to ask then?

Back