Computer advivce

Need advice as my son has bought a computer from the states and we are waiting for it to be delivered soon, he has bought an alienware area51r2 and as its coming from the states can we plug it straight into uk power thanks if anyone can give advise on this incase a supply problem could occur

Need advice as my son has bought a computer from the states and we are waiting for it to be delivered soon, he has bought an alienware area51r2 and as its coming from the states can we plug it straight into uk power thanks if anyone can give advise on this incase a supply problem could occur

I'd check the power supply, assume that it is set up for US of course, but I've seen a switch on power supplies so that you can set for UK power. If there's no option to configure for UK supply (or the user instructions don't specifiy otherwise), don't use it

There may be a little red switch beneath the power outlet that lets you set the voltage to either 110/115 volts (North America and Japan) or 220/230 volts (most European countries). If necessary, flip the power supply’s little red switch to match your country’s voltage.

It looks like a laptop so the laptop power supply should say what you can input into it on the underside. Modern supplies should be able to put either 110 or 240v. The plug will be incorrect so you will need to either change the plug or if its standard change the first half of the power supply to a uk input lead.

It looks like a laptop so the laptop power supply should say what you can input into it on the underside. Modern supplies should be able to put either 110 or 240v. The plug will be incorrect so you will need to either change the plug or if its standard change the first half of the power supply to a uk input lead.
Thanks for this info and also all other replies

Just buy a UK power supply. Should be fine as it's a laptop.

Just to clear up its a desktop and it arrived yesterday with ploblems when plugged in the power on/off lights up and back off but nothing else lights up or works???

is there a voltage selector switch on the back of the psu as described above , if so have you set it to 240
is it new ?

On the black sticker think it reads 110 - 240 v far left of scan.Did you press power button on front when plugged in as see no master switch on back.

Somebody was screwing around with it looking at screws around the fan.

I was told from a mate who looked at the spec for me that all these units have switchable supplies so i plugged it in but the front switch is the only thing lighting up

Have reseated everything inside it ? Take 1 board out a time and see if it powers on , inc the memory to find out if one of them is causing the problem

Ok lastest issue if anyone can advise ,my son has a problem now with the computer crashing when trying to install invidia graphics driver and it wipes the os(gtx970founders edition graphics card) we have tried a few hot fixed versions but they all make the computer crash.i have been advised to try changing to a amd radeon r9 390. Thanks if any advice could save us time and money

Ok lastest issue if anyone can advise ,my son has a problem now with the computer crashing when trying to install invidia graphics driver and it wipes the os(gtx970founders edition graphics card) we have tried a few hot fixed versions but they all make the computer crash.i have been advised to try changing to a amd radeon r9 390. Thanks if any advice could save us time and money
just let windows install correct driver for the card , and if changing driver you need to uninstall current one then install others one you do not install a different driver along with another unless you have two different cards.

Back