Connecting PC to TV using a VGA Cable

i tried that mooley and it came on the windows logo came up like on the moniter.but it went of and it said out of range.

babs you may have to change the resolution on your pc before you hook it up to the tv, or possibly the refresh rate on your pc is too high compared to the tv, you can change all these settings in the display settings through the control panel, the resolution at least.
your video board may not give you the option to change the refresh rate.

It will only display the windows logo etc. on boot up then will go off again until you play a video with vlc or something on your pc and make it full screen on pc and if it doesn't show on tv then try dragging the vlc window over to the right side of your monitor totally off it as if there was another monitor sitting beside it and see does it show on tv then.
If not as axxxo says it could be your refresh rate is off. Try setting it to default on pc display settings.

should work no problem babs, we know your tv is picking it up because the windows logo appears, this is simply because the windows logo appears at a lower resolution compared to your desktop, once youve picked the correct resolution your desktop should appear straight away, youll just have to swap between your comp monitor and tv a couple of times to get it right.
once you have a picture showing on your tv you can play with the resolution again to get the best picture for your tv, if the screen goes black the pc automatically restores itself to the previous resolution as it is wating for you to accept the changes, as you cant see the button it readjusts itself :)

if all comes to all we'll work on getting the latest drivers for your display adaptor!

thank you axxo i cannot see on the control panel where i have to change the resolution.thank you for your help.:)

if your using xp select control panel then appearence and themes and then click on display, your screen res should be on a slide scale
or right click on the desktop and select properties, same will apply for vista

While you're on the display properties and before you change resolution check above the slider for resolution where it lists Display and check there is 1 and 2 in a square beside each other and click on 2 and see if it comes up on TV. Just to check you have chosen the correct display. The Display should also have a drop down. It might be set to Plug and Play monitor by default whereas you should change it your graphics card.

hi iv tried changed the resoultion and tried the tv same again on for seconds.it also says plug and play monitor on radeon 9200.and under that default monitor on radeon 9200:confused:

getting annoyed babs lol

will you try turning the comp off, keep it connected to the tv, and then turn it back on

maybe also try changing your settings on the tv to Pal may help.

im just throwing out ideas here so im sorry if its annoying, starting your computer up in safe mode, then switch from your monitor to your tv to see if this gets a picture for you.

As I say on mine I get the Windows boot up screen then it goes blank until I play something. Even then sometimes I have to drag the playing media over to the right off the laptop screen and the TV takes it then. Have you gone into the Display Settings click on Advanced at the bottom right then you should see tabs for your graphics card and click on tab for Device Selection or similar and check in there for Identify etc.?? It usually takes a bit of fiddling first time.
Unfortunately I have to run out now to meet old friend for a few pints. Will be back in a bit. Don't fret between us all we'll get there in the end. :)

will try axxxo which is pal mode im getting fustrated with myself im grateful for any help.wish i knew more about computers:confused:

should be somwhere in your menu on the tv, should have different selections like pal, ntsc auto. reason i ask about safe mode is because it automatically puts itself into a lower res for troubleshooting purposes.

also following mooley's advice when you get to the advanced tab of your graphics card make sure the refresh rate is set to 60hz

still no luck with this is there any other cables that may work and can anyone tell me the best websites for watching soccer.:)

hi babs, if you have exhausted all these tips then there is one more thing you can try and thats to remove your video card and try use the onboard video, thats if there is built in video on your board

other than that just check to see which connections are on the back of your pc and then compare to tv and try something else.

Back