Connecting PC to TV using a VGA Cable

Which cables do i need to connect my PC to a TV

Take a look at the diagram below. This diagram illustratrates connections between your PC and your LCD TV. As you view the diagram, take a look at both your computer and your TV to determine what connections are available. Below the diagram, you will find the proper cable for your situation.

connect-tv-to-pc.jpg

With my TV, there is an option where i can select PC through the TV's settings to let it know that i will be using it as a PC screen, from their it should be just be a plug it into your TV and then the other end into the PC situation. From their depending on your graphics card, you can fiddle around with the display settings. It allows yout to blacken your comptuer screen so you can just see the screen from the TV and other few bits and bobs which im not quite sure about.

Last edited:
thanks dan and mooley do i just connect it or do i have to tune the tv in,

That would depend on your TV babs, have you had a look at your manual, or i can try finding out for you if you provide me with the make and model of your TV?

I'm guessing the whole tuning thing is for the really old TV's, if your TV has one of the VGA outputs at the back, then it should be a simple setting adjustment and you should be good to go.

the cable my son got is analogue monitor lead.its a 15 pin male .there is a connector on the tv for it there is not one on the pc is it the wrong cable.

is it a pc or laptop babs? if it is pc it should be the connection that is currently used to connect the monitor to the pc. I have a laptop ( 1 year old) and it has a connection as pictured in dans 1st post. instead of VGA, it is labelled I[]I well it looks like that 1 upright line either side of a square. hope this helps

thanks wheelo i taught there should be a connector seperate. so i have to un plug the monitor should it work straight away my tv has a pc av on it.

That seems to be the right one babs :). Just remove the lead that goes from your PC monitor to your comptuer. Now put one side of the lead that your son bought into your TV, and the other into the computer. (just like you would connect your PC monitor to your comptuer, exactly the same place where you have to put your sons lead into the computer). Its not likely that the TV will automatically detect the input. On my TV there is a input option where it lists the following:

Side AV
Scart 1
Scart 2
PC
e.t.c

Try and find the option regarding the pc input, once selected you should now be able to see the screen on your TV.

Maybe two things to check babs. I usually have to restart my laptop/pc after I have connected it for it to show on TV. Also as far as I remember I had to set up the graphics card to know I was using multiple monitors when I was setting it up for first time.

I think this is the user guide for your TV.

Code:
http://www.goodmans.co.uk/content/ug/GTVL26W8HD.pdf?language=en-GB

Scroll down to page 11 (the page number on the pages in the pdf instead of selecting page 11 in acrobat reader). It gives a few instructions on how to get started and which options to chose from. Hope that helps. :)

Back