Constant Freezing

dioufy

I recently moved my virgin router from one side of the room to the other, routing the wire under the floorboards. Now I'm getting non-stop freezing on premium channels. Before moving the router I don't recall the premium channels freezing this much...

I've tightened all the connections, restarted the router & Zgemma but it's still the same.

I think I might need a test line just to eliminate that side of it, does anyone else have any suggestions? It's used with WiFi btw.

Extending vm cables, adding splitters etc throws the signals all to cock, you need to check power levels in the router, use the settings password on the bottom of the router to login to 192.169.0.1 and upload the downstream power levels here
Should be between -6 &+10
i guestimate yours are miles out

Thanks for the reply, here's the power levels

Power Level (dBmV) -7.29 -5.74 -5.77 -6.22 -6.64 -7.12 -7.68 -7.57

Yeah theyre no good mate, -6 is absolute minimum, most of yours are well below this, even one is enough to make it unwatchable, six from the eight posted above are no good
Taking a test wont make a difference but feel free.
Why does the router need moving?

Yeah theyre no good mate, -6 is absolute minimum, most of yours are well below this, even one is enough to make it unwatchable, six from the eight posted above are no good
Taking a test wont make a difference but feel free.
Why does the router need moving?
The room is being decorated as a nursery and the wife wanted it moving :emoji_thinking: , would the wire being routed under the floors potentially cause this issue? It's running alongside live power cables...

No, it doesnt matter where the cables are.
What matters is the length of the cable to/from the router.
If before the router was under living room window where VM enters the house and you decide to move it into the loft, this is what happens, even moving it a few metres will cause this, anything over 3 metres can make it unusable.
You can try a powered HDU,
Technetix do them, but theres no guarantee it will work to your satisfaction

Last edited:
I'm no expert but are your cables under the floor crossing power cables etc? if so could this cause interferance?

I'm no expert but are your cables under the floor crossing power cables etc? if so could this cause interferance?
I was thinking a long those lines.

Anyway, this morning I have moved the router back to the other side of the room and it’s been fine all morning. The wire routed under the floorboards is the one virgin provided.

I’ve just left that under the floorboards for now. What I don’t understand is the room is only small, only 3 metres long...so would that really cause that much difference in stability?

I'd totally agree with this,
we have serious problems at work with CAT6 compliance if the cables are run anywhere near power cables,
so much so that we now explain to clients they will NOT get a compliance cert if there is any power outlets or cables within 300mm of a cat6 outlet or 150mm of the cable (if shielded, 300mm if unshielded)
right angle crossovers seem fine
you will also get a lot of 'crosstalk' on the co-ax as well

I was thinking a long those lines.

Anyway, this morning I have moved the router back to the other side of the room and it’s been fine all morning. The wire routed under the floorboards is the one virgin provided.

I’ve just left that under the floorboards for now. What I don’t understand is the room is only small, only 3 metres long...so would that really cause that much difference in stability?

3 Metres is a long run without it being calibrated by VM, especially if you are already at the limits to begin with.
That is, if you check the power levels now, you may find they are around -5 to - 5.5
adding 3m of cable is enough to send the to the levels posted yesterday, -7.5 and lower

Back