Cooker hood vent options.

1vincent

Hello.

My in laws are going to give the kitchen a lick of paint and redo the wallpaper or should i say i will be the one doing it.

The 2 windows vent/openers in the kitchen have broken hinges so when they open it is very hard to close properly if at all and you have to go outside to push the opener to close the locking espag's inside. They did get somebody out to do this 3 years ago but the old hinges were rivited to the upvc frame and the new ones were screwed in but have come loose now.

In about 2 years they will be getting a new kitchen fitted and replacing the back door and the windows so i am not going to touch the broken vents for now.

The issue they have is that they have to open the back door to let the steam out when the are using the cooker hob.

I suggested a cooker hood, a cheapish one will do for now but i have seen vent only and recirculating ones or combined.

Their cooker is in the corner and has an exterior wall to the left but an interal wall at the back of the cooker so it can't be vented at the back.

I have thought about putting the vent to the left ouside wall but there is an air vent in the top corner of the wall and it also has 2 heating pipes running from the ceiling to the rad by the window.

Can the hood be vented through the air vent to the outside vent and that vent briked/covered up to make a seal for the cooker hood extraction pipe or not.

There are no gas appliances in the kitchen.

I have looked at recirculating hoods but they don't seem to be any good at getting rid of the steam.

Any advice much welcome.

Are there gas appliances in the house that rely on fresh air.
I also had to get my cooker hood modified as the back wall was into next door,my only option was to get it brought through the kitchen/garage wall and up through garage flat roof of timber and felt.My kitchen does not need vents as it has 4 doors.

Are there gas appliances in the house that rely on fresh air.
I also had to get my cooker hood modified as the back wall was into next door,my only option was to get it brought through the kitchen/garage wall and up through garage flat roof of timber and felt.My kitchen does not need vents as it has 4 doors.

There is a back boiler in the dining room that has an air vent at floor level that meets British Gas's requirements for annual gas service.

Their kitchen is 2.5 metres X 2.35 metres and is more or less a galley kitchen style due to the back door and the windows.

I would guess that the air intake vent was put there because there is a gas supply pipe in the kitchen,[ whether it is getting used..or not.. ] so, NO you cannot use the existing air vent in my opinion, use a 4ins HOLE CUTTER m8, most good plumbers will have one, and create a new outlet for the extraction...

I would guess that the air intake vent was put there because there is a gas supply pipe in the kitchen,[ whether it is getting used..or not.. ] so, NO you cannot use the existing air vent in my opinion, use a 4ins HOLE CUTTER m8, most good plumbers will have one, and create a new outlet for the extraction...

They are brick air vents that were built into the exterior walls and interior walls when the houses were built in the 1930's i think from what the in laws and neighbours have told me. The gas to the street was not put in until 1960's when the back boilers were fitted about 1970.

Strange thing is there are 3 bedrooms with vents, 1 bathroom with a vent and downstairs were there are 2 old fire places( one with the back boiler) and the front room does not have any vent in at all and there is no bricked up one on that exterior wall either.

I dont think i could put a hole in the wall as the it's only 500mm wide from the back of the wall to a window and on that wall is the cooker cable and a plug socket cable running from the cieling down the wall under the plaster. Also if i could do that the only place to put the new hole would have to be under the existing brick air vent but then if i did that when the hood is extracting smells and steam it would just get blown back into the kitchen air vent by the wind i would of thought. That was why i was thinking of using the existing vent and seal it up but you say that is not possible so i think they will just have to have a circulating hood instead.

Well, if you must use that one m8, then make another air vent further along somewhere else ??

Not sure what you mean by make another air vent.

If you mean use existing brick air vent inside and outside for cooker hood extraction vent and then make another brick air vent to replace the one used then it will not be possible to do that.

Current air vent on the outside is between a conservatory and kitchen window so i will not be able put a new one in as there is only about 800mm between the window and conservatory and the brick vent is i think 300mm square and also the house has cavity insulation.

The existing vent will have been to prevent damp,
Use a round to flat converter and use the existing vent, it will be fine, make sure you pipe through the wall, don't blow damp air into the cavity.

When I did my kitchen I installed an internal extractor as my cooking equipment isn't on an outside wall.
Just look at getting any extractor fan, and feed it into a carbon filter. My filter set up is in the 'fake' cupboard above the cooker and its not overly big.

When I did my kitchen I installed an internal extractor as my cooking equipment isn't on an outside wall.
Just look at getting any extractor fan, and feed it into a carbon filter. My filter set up is in the 'fake' cupboard above the cooker and its not overly big.

THey only have a freestanding electric cooker and there is nothing over the cooker so that was why they want/need a cooker hood.

The other thing is that their kitchen ceiling has grease marks ans cooking gunk on there so it's best for them to install a hood so it will stop me and my partnet having to go round there and wash the ceiling 2-3 times a year.

As for you suggestion of an extracter fan i thought you had to hard wire them that was why i thought of a hood as they are plug ones(but not all).

Back