Countdown to Cheltenham festival 2011

joekingman

VIP Member
TK Supporter
For the thousands making the annual pilgrimage to Cheltenham, the big hope to get the green, white and orange flying high at Prestbury Park on day one is Hurricane Fly in the Stan James Champion Hurdle.

Hurricane_Fly.jpg

HURRICANE BIG HOPE FOR IRISH FLY-ER

Champion trainer Willie Mullins is enjoying another spectacular season and just getting this fragile but hugely talented seven-year-old to the two-mile showpiece will be an achievement in itself, with setbacks ruling him out of the last two renewals.

Yes, it is difficult to get a handle on the form given he has just been pummelling Solwhit each time, and the sceptics would argue Hurricane Fly still has a way to go given his old foe was only sixth in last year's Champion.

However, the faster pace and better ground at Cheltenham can only suit as he does possess potent acceleration, which combined with his slick jumping means he has all the requisite ingredients to give Mullins an overdue first win in the race.

Ruby Walsh will presumably be back in the saddle, although it should be noted Paul Townend gets on like a dream with him so jockey arrangements are not a problem.

The only other feasible challenger is Dunguib, but while he would have an each-way shout in a normal year, this is vintage stuff and it is hard to see him grabbing a place with Binocular, Menorah, Peddlers Cross and Mille Chief batting for the home team.

The traditional curtain-raiser is the Supreme Novices' Hurdle and since the turn of the century, seven winners have been trained in Ireland.

Like-A-Butterfly, Back In Front and Brave Inca have all been roared home as winning favourites, but the seemingly invincible Dunguib let the side down in 2010, only managing third behind Menorah.

Providing Colin Tizzard's Cue Card turns up, it is hard to see there being an Irish market leader this time around. Zaidpour has long been touted as Supreme material but has had his bubble burst recently and would possibly be seen to better effect in the longer Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle the following day.

One to note at a price is Tommy Stack's Magen's Star, an unbeaten front-running daughter of Galileo who will get the 7lb mares' allowance and has won her two hurdle starts by an aggregate of 31 lengths. Mullins could also call on Day Of A Lifetime and So Young.

Next up is the Arkle Trophy, a race claimed by Forpadydeplasterer and most latterly Sizing Europe in the last two seasons.

Noel Meade's Realt Dubh landed the equivalent event at Leopardstown, but may find everything happening a little too quickly on better ground.

Paul Nolan's Noble Prince was second to Realt Dubh the last day, and while he could turn the tables on a quicker surface, he is a much shorter price for the Jewson which suggests he will go there.

Mikael D'Haguenet has the talent to be involved but will surely go for a stiffer test of stamina in the RSA Chase on Wednesday, where Jessies Dream, Bostons Angel, Quito De La Roque and Magnanimity give the raiders a strong hand against Time For Rupert.

The rest of Tuesday's card should yield yet another win for Enda Bolger's team in the cross-country event and although the brilliant Quevega is a banker for many as she goes for a hat-trick in the David Nicholson Mares' Hurdle, the prolific Our Girl Salley carries the hopes of Prunella Dobbs and will not go down without a fight.

The Neptune looks a great opportunity for the away side, with Oscars Well already a dual Grade One winner for Jessica Harrington. This horse will be a tough nut to crack as he travels, jumps and has gears. Aside from Zaidpour, the Mouse Morris-trained First Lieutenant is another with claims.

Colm Murphy's Big Zeb defends his crown in the Queen Mother Champion Chase and given he will be much better suited by the quicker conditions than at home, he looks certain to be there or thereabouts in what could be a titanic battle with Master Minded.

Murphy was not too disappointed with his shock Tied Cottage reverse to Golden Silver, who has improved beyond all recognition this season and while unlikely to have his ground is another who should not be dismissed.

Neither should Sizing Europe if he can reproduce last season's Arkle performance. In fact, he could be a player at big odds if he can bounce off the Cotswolds terrain like he did 12 months ago.

Cue Card ended Irish dominance in the Weatherbys Champion Bumper last year, but John 'Shark' Hanlon is very keen on his Star Neuville and hopes to get Tony McCoy to ride, while Allure Of Illusion appears the best of seven entries for Mullins.

A look at Thursday's highlights will tell you O'Grady's Tranquil Sea is the major hope in the Ryanair Chase, although his disappointing show in the race last year tempers enthusiasm. Golden Silver also has this as an option, one which might suit.

The Ladbrokes World Hurdle has developed into a cracking race and while it is probably destined to stay at home with hat-trick seeker Big Buck's and Grands Crus holding all the aces, the Irish opposition is mounting up.

Fiveforthree and Mourad can reward each-way support while the addition of Solwhit adds an extra dimension. Bear in mind, too, that Mikael D'Haguenet holds an entry in this, which would definitely add some serious spice to the mix.

Dermot Weld's filly Unaccompanied carries plenty of confidence in the JCB Triumph Hurdle (also in the Supreme where she would get some hefty allowances), but Pat Flynn's Louisville Lip is held in the highest regard and is the dark horse for connections that know the time of day. A line can be put through his last run as he is better than that.

It has been some time since there has been a serious Irish Gold Cup challenger and while the old guard of Denman, Kauto Star and Imperial Commander are all to be feared they do have questions to answer and a new name could be on the trophy this year.

Irish Hennessy hero Kempes burst into the reckoning at Leopardstown and is definitely the new kid on the block for that man Mullins.

As the County Carlow maestro said afterwards, the surprises are the nicest ones of all, as he had been the stable second string until Cooldine met with a problem.

Previously thought of as smart at shorter distances, he has an excellent win ratio and seemed to see out the three miles with aplomb, cruising under David Casey and maybe even getting to the front too soon. He is open to lots of improvement and is the value against the established stars. Better ground will suit as he looks to become the first horse to do the Leopardstown-Cheltenham double since Imperial Call in 1996. McCoy could be in the saddle for his retainer JP McManus.

Pandorama has bags of talent but does not seem to be blessed with the same amount of luck, being hampered early on in Diamond Harry's Hennessy at Newbury before a setback ruled him out of the Irish Hennessy.

His win in the Lexus at Christmas confirmed his talent, but he does look a bit fragile and Meade's Cheltenham record hardly inspires confidence. That said, he delighted in a recent racecourse spin at Leopardstown and connections are starting to make the right noises.

Of the handicaps, Call The Police is a must in the Coral Cup, while Plan A has a definite chance in the Fred Winter.

Reigning champion in fine form

12th March 2011

Imperial Commander has been working well ahead of his totesport Cheltenham Gold Cup defence on Friday.

Imperial-Commander-media-day-3_2568940.jpg

Imperial Commander: Ready for Cheltenham

The 10-year-old has only had one start this season, a victory in the Betfair Chase at Haydock, however he has recently enjoyed a couple of racecourse gallops.

Accordingly his trainer, Nigel Twiston-Davies, is pleased with his stable star but he admits that there is much more pressure this time.

Twiston-Davies told Channel 4 Racing: "It's going well. He did a really good bit of work yesterday and is having an easy day today.

"There is a lot more pressure this year but hopefully he'll be back where he belongs.

"If he'd finished third last year everyone would have been delighted. We knew he was really well and we know he's really well this time, so hopefully he can do it again."

Champion Hurdle

The Naunton handler also issued an upbeat bulletin on Champion Hurdle hope Khyber Kim, who chased home Binocular in the race last year.

"We're very happy with him. People forget he was only three lengths behind Binocular and he's in as good a form this year," the trainer added.

Nice one Joe..... for what it's worth here's my banker of the meeting
Knight Pass in the champion bumper, got a tip for this before he even ran, my friend's son works for the yard and gave me this one to back when it won it's first race at 4/1
this has been laid out for the race.

Binocular out of Champion Hurdle.

13th March 2011

Nicky Henderson's Binocular, the current champion hurdler, has not been declared for this year's renewal of the Stan James Champion Hurdle.

bin.jpg

Binocular out of Champion Hurdle.

Henderson's stable star is not amongst 11 runners declared for Tuesday's feature race.

Henderson said: "We have very regretfully had to decide not to declare Binocular for Tuesday's Champion Hurdle.

"He had an allergy two weeks ago that did not respond to initial medication and on veterinary advice and well within normal parameters he required a further treatment the following day.

"As we were getting close to the most important race of the year and also because since that administration to Binocular, another horse had tested positive for the same substance, I thought it prudent to take a precautionary test which not only surprisingly, let alone devastatingly, has also shown to be positive.

"We have therefore reluctantly had to take the BHA's advice this morning that the only reasonable course in everybody's interest is not to confirm the entry and he has consequently been withdrawn from the Champion Hurdle.

"We are all obviously shattered but I am particularly upset for JP (McManus) who has been incredibly understanding as I know how much this horse means to him."

Henderson added: "I would very much like to sympathise with all Binocular's supporters and punters who may have backed him ante-post."

BHA statement

The BHA explained the course of events that eventually led to the horse's withdrawal in a statement which read:

"The Authority received an elective test request from Nicky Henderson this week. The results of those tests came through on Thursday and Binocular had a screening finding for a legitimate veterinary medication.

"We all wanted to give Binocular every chance to run, both from connections point of view and also thinking of those that had backed him for the Champion Hurdle, therefore over the weekend HFL tested further samples.

"The results of those tests were still positive. We advised Nicky Henderson and his vets of this result on Saturday night and, bearing in mind that against expectations the levels of the substance were remaining constant, the clear advice was that Binocular would test positive on raceday.

"We were informed following a further conference call with connections this morning that they had therefore decided not to declare the horse.

"This is obviously bitterly disappointing for connections and also for backers of Binocular, but based on all the information to hand it is the only decision that could be taken in the interests of both the horse and the integrity of the sport.

"Because the horse has not run and because the substance is a legitimate medication, we want to be clear that this screening finding is not a breach of the rules.

"We will continue to assist where we can in establishing when Binocular tests negative and can therefore race again."

Champion line-up

Leading fancies Menorah, Peddlers Cross and Hurricane Fly all stand their ground, with confirmation that Ruby Walsh will ride Hurricane Fly.

Paul Townend will ride Willie Mullins' other runner Thousand Stars, whilst Henderson will rely solely on Oscar Whisky.

Last-year's runner-up Khyber Kim and Mille Chief will run, whilst the rest of the field consists of Bygones Of Brid, Clerk's Choice, Dunguib and Overturn.

Day 1 Cheltenham Festival

15th March 2011

Super Fly lands the Champion​

Hurricane Fly was a brilliant winner from Peddlers Cross in the Stan James Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham.

fly.jpg

Hurricane Fly: Champion Hurdle delight

The great hope of Ireland was sent off the 11-4 favourite and he cruised around in the hands of Ruby Walsh in mid-pack as Overturn set a strong pace up front as pacemaker for the eventual runner-up.

Walsh creeped closer coming down the hill and moved into a challenging position on the home turn tucked in behind Peddlers Cross.

He pounced at the last still on the bridle and was always holding the second as he won by a cosy one and quarter lengths.

Oscar Whisky produced a personal best in third place with Thousand Stars claiming fourth.

Walsh said: "He never settled really and ran keen, but we know he has the speed and class.

"He's shown the ability that myself, Willie Mullins and Paul Townend always believed he had. He's a deserved champion and a right little horse.

"He's only small but he has a big heart and he needed it today. I probably got there a fraction too soon, but he never gave me a chance early doors."

Rather than exuding confidence beforehand, Mullins was just relieved to get Hurricane Fly to Cheltenham after missing the previous two Festivals following setbacks.

Mullins said: "We had no excuses, everything had gone right the whole year. It was just great to get here and the relief even when he left the parade ring was enormous.

"I just didn't want something stupid to happen coming here, a kick or a cough. He's got speed, stamina and he jumps. Today was the day. I am just delighted he got the chance to show what he can do.

"I didn't give Ruby any instructions, I said you know what to do so just do it. There's no better man to leave it to."

Mullins went on: "He's done everything right all year and he's answered all the questions.

"I know I hadn't travelled him to England but I wasn't keen to and people were wondering whether a son of Montjeu could win around here, but nearly every horse I've brought over here, their sires hadn't had a winner here either, so I put a line through that.

"I'm just delighted we got him here to show everyone what he can do as my whole focus this year was to get him here.

15:20 Cheltenham Stan James Champion Hurdle Challenge Trophy (Grade 1)

1st Hurricane Fly (IRE) 11/4 f
2nd Peddlers Cross (IRE) 9/2
3rd Oscar Whisky (IRE) 7/1

Full Race Card Results

13:30 Cheltenham Stan James Supreme Novices' Hurdle (Grade 1)

1st Al Ferof (FR) 10/1
2nd Spirit Son (FR) 5/1
3rd Sprinter Sacre (FR) 11/1

14:05 Cheltenham Irish Independent Arkle Challenge Trophy Chase (Grade 1)

1st Captain Chris (IRE) 6/1
2nd Finian's Rainbow (IRE) 7/2
3rd Realt Dubh (IRE) 17/2

14:40 Cheltenham Stewart Family Spinal Research Handicap Chase (Grade 3)

1st Bensalem (IRE) 5/1
2nd Carole's Legacy 9/1
3rd Reve de Sivola (FR) 9/1
4th Fair Along (GER) 25/1

16:00 Cheltenham Glenfarclas Handicap Chase (Cross Country Chase)

1st Sizing Australia (IRE) 13/2
2nd Garde Champetre (FR) 5/1
3rd A New Story (IRE) 12/1

16:40 Cheltenham David Nicholson Mares' Hurdle (Grade 2)

1st Quevega (FR) 5/6 f
2nd Sparky May 4/1
3rd Ocean Transit (IRE) 50/1

17:15 Cheltenham Centenary Novices' Handicap Chase (Listed)

1st Divers (FR) 10/1
2nd Quantitativeeasing (IRE) 7/1
3rd Tullamore Dew (IRE) 13/2
4th Vino Griego (FR) 20/1

Hey joekingman, I had one bet today, £10 win on Hurricane Fly 11\4 :happy: , picked it from your first post on this thread :) Thanks Bud.

Thanks joekingman,
Well I have already planned to put £10 of it on Call the Police from your first post, and I will probably put £10 on jackt's nap Knight Pass. So I will probably be just nearly back where I started after tomorrow lol but its all a bit of fun in the end :)

wish you lots of luck with those bets jodav, your right its great fun and a fantastic 4 days

my fancy for tomorow would be, [ So Young ] il have a small wager on him...;)

Well now you have got me thinking lol Good Luck to you to joekingman, and anyone else having a flutter from TechKings.

Day 2 Cheltenham Festival

16th March 2011

Sizing matters in Champion

Sizing Europe (10-1) was an easy winner of the sportingbet.com Queen Mother Champion Chase at Cheltenham on Wednesday.

Sizing-Europe-Big-Zeb-Champion-Chase_2574402.jpg

Sizing Europe storms to Champion Chase glory from Big Zeb at Cheltenham

Sizing Europe (10-1) was an easy winner of the sportingbet.com Queen Mother Champion Chase at Cheltenham on Wednesday.

Andrew Lynch took up the running on last year's Arkle winner at an early stage and the pair saw off all comers including reigning champion Big Zeb (3-1) who was a five-length second.

Master Minded was sent off the 2-1 favourite but he was unplaced after a bad error at the second last.

Captain Cee Bee (14-1) stayed on for third.

Lynch said: "I'm delighted and the horse jumped an awful lot better today. "He travelled really well and I was afraid something might just quicken past me up the straight, but he's a hardy boy.

"Henry always said he wanted a strongly-run, two-mile race, and this is the only race all year that suits him."

De Bromhead said: "He's a good horse to have around and it's been an unbelievable week.

"I'm very lucky to have good horses. This fellow was electric and Andrew gave him a brilliant ride again.

"The horse is amazing and we have a great team behind us."

Full Race Card Results​

13:30 Cheltenham 141st Year Of The National Hunt Chase Challenge Cup (Amateur Riders' Novices' Chase)

1st Chicago Grey (IRE) 5/1 f
2nd Beshabar (IRE) 9/1
3rd Be There In Five (IRE) 20/1

14:05 Cheltenham Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle (Baring Bingham Novices' Hurdle) (Grade 1)

1st First Lieutenant (IRE) 7/1
2nd Rock On Ruby (IRE) 13/2
3rd So Young (FR) 2/1 f

14:40 Cheltenham RSA Chase (Grade 1)

1st Bostons Angel (IRE) 16/1
2nd Jessies Dream (IRE) 10/1
3rd Wayward Prince 15/2

15:20 Cheltenham sportingbet.com Queen Mother Champion Chase (Grade 1)

1st Sizing Europe (IRE) 10/1
2nd Big Zeb (IRE) 3/1
3rd Captain Cee Bee (IRE) 14/1

16:00 Cheltenham Coral Cup (Grade 3 Handicap Hurdle)

1st Carlito Brigante (IRE) 16/1
2nd Bothy 12/1
3rd Orsippus (USA) 33/1
4th Battle Group 33/1

16:40 Cheltenham Fred Winter Juvenile Handicap Hurdle (Grade 3)

1st What A Charm (IRE) 9/1
2nd Kumbeshwar 33/1
3rd Dhaafer 16/1
4th Plan A (IRE) 4/1 f

17:15 Cheltenham Weatherbys Champion Bumper (Standard Open NH Flat Race) (Grade 1)

1st Cheltenian (FR) 14/1
2nd Destroyer Deployed 66/1
3rd Aupcharlie (IRE) 33/1

Well I must say I am up £7.50 at present :) So Young hit that last fence so bad, that it is hard to say how well it would have finished joekingman, although I did not back it.
I think I may stay where I am at present, thanks to you bud £7.50 up , cheers joekingman :happy:

its hard to say jodav if he had not hit the fence maybe but the best horse won on the day..:whistling:

I nearly called the police when he did hit it..LOL

Great day for Irish horse's 6 out of 7 not a bad day..irelandflag:rideem::djparty:

Good stuff joekingman, I do not know what it is with the Irish and Cheltenham, but facts speak forthem selves :)

Day 3 Cheltenham Festival

Thur 17th March

World domination for Buck's​

Big Buck's won his third consecutive Ladbrokes World Hurdle in fantastic style at the Cheltenham Festival on Thursday.

Big-Buck-s-Grand-Crus-jump_2574817.jpg

Big Buck's outpoints Grands Crus in a thriller to complete a World Hurdle hat-trick

Paul Nicholls' eight-year-old was sent off the 10-11 favourite by punters and Ruby Walsh delivered for them once again by one-and-three-quarter-lengths from Grands Crus (7-2).

Tom Scudamore looked to be travelling well approaching the final flight but the champion found more to the delight of a packed Prestbury Park.

Mourad (8-1) was best of the rest in third.

Walsh said: "He's an aeroplane, but I made a bad mistake as I dropped my stick halfway to the last hurdle.

"It was my own fault as I was trying to see where the others were behind me so I was only half-watching what I was doing.

"I knew I had loads of horse left, but I knew it was going to be tactical and that Grands Crus was going to try to follow me.

"This horse has matured so much mentally you can stretch him in front and he has dug deep.

"He had an entry in the Arkle but I've always thought he could run a big race in the Champion Hurdle.

"I was lucky enough to get away with it today.

"He's a wonderful horse and he's got me out of trouble."

Walsh added: "In a hurdle race he's just as unbeatable as they come - he's like (American great) Cigar on the Flat.

"The guys riding against him knew exactly what to do and had their tactics spot-on, but it didn't matter.

"He's just different, he has so much class as you're riding a Champion Hurdle-Gold Cup horse in a stayers' hurdle."

Full Race Card Results​

13:30 Cheltenham Jewson Novices' Chase (Registered As The Golden Miller Novices' Chase) (Grade 2)

1st Noble Prince (GER) 4/1
2nd Wishfull Thinking 7/2 f
3rd Loosen My Load (IRE) 11/2

14:05 Cheltenham Pertemps Final (Listed Handicap Hurdle)

1st Buena Vista (IRE) 20/1
2nd Son Amix (FR) 16/1
3rd Sivota (IRE) 9/1
4th Knockara Beau (IRE) 33/1

14:40 Cheltenham Ryanair Chase (Registered As The Festival Trophy Chase) (Grade 1)

1st Albertas Run (IRE) 6/1
2nd Kalahari King (FR) 7/1
3rd Rubi Light (FR) 16/1

15:20 Cheltenham Ladbrokes World Hurdle (Grade 1)

1st Big Buck's (FR) 10/11 f
2nd Grands Crus (FR) 7/2
3rd Mourad (IRE) 8/1

16:00 Cheltenham Byrne Group Plate (Grade 3 Handicap Chase)

1st Holmwood Legend 25/1
2nd Aimigayle 25/1
3rd Beautiful Sound (IRE) 9/2 f
4th Consigliere (FR) 20/1

16:40 Cheltenham Fulke Walwyn Kim Muir Challenge Cup Handicap Chase (Amateur Riders)

1st Junior 10/3 f
2nd Faasel (IRE) 20/1
3rd Deal Done (FR) 20/1
4th Galaxy Rock (IRE) 18/1

Day 4 Final Day Cheltenham Festival

18th March 2011

Long Run (7-2 favourite) beat Denman and Kauto Star to win a fantastic renewal of the totesport Cheltenham Gold Cup.

Long-Run-in-front-of-stands_2575245.jpg

Sam Waley-Cohen celebrates his famous victory on Long Run in the Cheltenham Gold Cup

Amateur rider Sam Waley-Cohen overtook the old guard jumping the last fence aboard the six-year-old and bounded up the hill to record a thrilling seven-length success.

Denman (8-1) was a gallant second with two-time winner Kauto Star (5-1) back in third.

The winning jockey said: "He's a whole lot better than I thought he was. That's a very special feeling and he's a very special horse.

"I want to say thank you to everyone for believing in me and the horse.

"This is beyond my wildest dreams. I didn't think we were going to get there, but he picked up, and I think he still had a bit left.

"When he got there he saw the crowd and he wanted to stop and have a look.

"What a horse he is."

Henderson added of Long Run's seven-length triumph: "It was a great race because all the horses have run great races - there's no disputing it.

"Kauto Star was probably at his best today, but Long Run is a very good young horse.

"Sam gave him a beautiful ride. There was just a moment when I thought he needed a bit of daylight going down the hill, but he was very confident and he was very professional."

Henderson continued: "It's sort of nice it's over, to be honest. It was a great race, that's the thing.

"All credit to Sam, this is not exactly his day job, but he never panicked.

"The big horses were all there and he had to get through them, and he did. It was a wonderful ride.

"This horse is still only six, so there is a lot to look forward to with him yet."

Full Race Card Results​

13:30 Cheltenham JCB Triumph Hurdle (Grade 1)

1st Zarkandar (IRE) 13/2
2nd Unaccompanied (IRE) 11/2
3rd Grandouet (FR) 13/2

14:05 Cheltenham Vincent O'Brien County Handicap Hurdle (Grade 3)

1st Final Approach 10/1
2nd Get Me Out Of Here (IRE) 7/1
3rd Nearby 66/1
4th Cockney Trucker (IRE) 33/1

14:40 Cheltenham Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle (Registered As The Spa Novices' Hurdle) (Grade 1)

1st Bobs Worth (IRE) 15/8 f
2nd Mossley (IRE) 12/1
3rd Court In Motion (IRE) 9/1

15:20 Cheltenham totesport Cheltenham Gold Cup Chase (Grade 1)

1st Long Run (FR) 7/2 f
2nd Denman (IRE) 8/1
3rd Kauto Star (FR) 5/1

16:00 Cheltenham Christie's Foxhunter Chase Challenge Cup

1st Zemsky (IRE) 33/1
2nd Mid Div And Creep 100/1
3rd Oscar Delta (IRE) 25/1

16:40 Cheltenham Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys' Handicap Hurdle

1st Sir Des Champs (FR) 9/2 f
2nd Son of Flicka 28/1
3rd First Point (GER) 20/1
4th Indian Daudaie (FR) 25/1

17:15 Cheltenham Johnny Henderson Grand Annual Chase Challenge Cup (Grade 3 Handicap)

1st Oiseau de Nuit (FR) 40/1
2nd Askthemaster (IRE) 50/1
3rd Leo's Lucky Star (USA) 20/1
4th De Boitron (FR) 8/1

Thats the Cheltenham Festival Finished For 2011 i Hope I Helped In Some Way
Just Taught Id Say I Had A Great Festival I Really Enjoyed It

Back