Couple of questions about cabling and connectors

Boff

Hi, I'm just about to order a VU+ SoloSE V2 with 1 twin hybrid DVB-C tuner.

Most of the pictures I've seen of the connections for DVB-C tuners show RF/Aerial connectors rather than the F-type connectors I have on my existing VM cables.

1. Do I need to buy adapters or can I make my own cables up?
  2. If making cables, is there a specific co-ax cable to use? I have a load of co-ax left over from past projects but it's not as beefy as the co-ax VM uses.
  3. I'm happy to use adapters, but if I want to use the Loop out connection will I have to make up my own cable anyway?
  4. Was going to keep the existing VM box connected via Loop out on the VU+ box. That way if there are any problems with the channels I can switch over to the original VM box quickly (keeping my VM subscription for now). Is this plausible?
  5. Also, if I decide to get an additional DVB-C tuner in future (would have to be USB with the VU+ Solo SEV2) can I connect it to the Loop out on the VU+ box?
  6. Would this give me 3 tuners (record 2 channels, watch another?)

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I'm just about to order a VU+ SoloSE V2 with 1 twin hybrid DVB-C tuner.

Most of the pictures I've seen of the connections for DVB-C tuners show RF/Aerial connectors rather than the F-type connectors I have on my existing VM cables.

1. Do I need to buy adapters or can I make my own cables up?
  2. If making cables, is there a specific co-ax cable to use? I have a load of co-ax left over from past projects but it's not as beefy as the co-ax VM uses.
  3. I'm happy to use adapters, but if I want to use the Loop out connection will I have to make up my own cable anyway?
  4. Was going to keep the existing VM box connected via Loop out on the VU+ box. That way if there are any problems with the channels I can switch over to the original VM box quickly (keeping my VM subscription for now). Is this plausible?
  5. Also, if I decide to get an additional DVB-C tuner in future (would have to be USB with the VU+ Solo SEV2) can I connect it to the Loop out on the VU+ box?
  6. Would this give me 3 tuners (record 2 channels, watch another?)

Thanks in advance!

You already have two tuners (the 1 twin tuner is in effect 2 tuners as it splits the signal internally) - adding the USB tuner gives you a third, yes.

Great stuff.

Just one more quick question - I've seen subs/servers/lines offered with mulitroom included. Does each tuner use one of these up?
E.g. If I have a twin tuner and a sub that includes multiroom for 3 boxes, will 2 of them be used up? So I could have another box connected in another room but only single tuner?
Hope this makes sense!

Each is diffrent
Theres multiroom lines eg 3 boxes.

My cable lines not multiroom but okay to watch one record another.
Or
Multi tunner lines (okay to watch one record another)

That's one line per box, and if your supplier says otherwise you're being ripped off imo. I've never personally heard of it being one line per tuner (aside from combo boxes obviously) but some are adamant that's the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the info - I assumed multiroom sub would actually mean 1 per box but I know what happens when we assume things...!

Ordered the box - can't wait to get stuck in!

Basically ask the bloke you buy off but I have personally never heard of a server that has one line per tuner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard of it
Some charge a small charge for second tunner. (wrong in my opinion as most boxes come with multi tunners these days)
Basically shop around mate.

Will do - thanks everyone for the replies.

A couple of offers I've received for subs have specifically mentioned tuners when talking about multiroom. Other ones have said boxes.
There's a couple of tidy looking ones so I'll get more info on Monday so I can do a test once the new box arrives.

Thanks again for the info - much appreciated!

Just a quick update to say box is all set up and working (using bees' guide). Also I turned off logging in the mgcam config file, and had to change around the mounts for the hdd and usb stick.
Quickly installed the box lunchtime and set it up with a test line and all seems good in the 10mins I tested! Will test out skins & icons when I get home from work.

Thanks again for all the help & info!

Back