Cutting the cord with Sky

white43

My Sky Q sub ends on Saturday for TV.

Too expensive.

Freesat box seems expensive from Freesat.

What's the Linux box alternatives? Ideal world I'd like something that can support the catchup services from BBC, All4, C5, Prime, etc and even record if possible.

Does such a thing even exist? Appreciate I'd prob need to change the LNB.

The Buzztv XRS 4500 and XRS 4900 will allow you to record directly on its internal drive or add an external hard drive on the 4500 (for the 4900 there is an option to add internall hard drive up to 2TB). For catchup services it will depend on your provider

The Buzztv XRS 4500 and XRS 4900 will allow you to record directly on its internal drive or add an external hard drive on the 4500 (for the 4900 there is an option to add internall hard drive up to 2TB). For catchup services it will depend on your provider
Do they support satellite?

If on Sky Q your lnb might need to be changed unless its a hybrid but limited open channels working.

You can negotiate significant reductions to your subscription if you deal with retentions, even when you are still in contract. My recent monthly bill for skyq was £80, retentions reduced it to £57. Recording IPTV steams is problematic & rarely successful. a smart tv has all the catch up apps. IPTV is getting better all the time, but quality of service ranges from piss poor to decent but that is dependent on the supplier & the price you pay. Sky & ISP's are committed to disrupting streams, servers & other stategies to attack piracy of their services, so you should expect downtime especially on EFL & PPV broadcasts.....a VPN sub is often required to avoid some of the disruption but not all. However, if you have realistic expectations & don't require 24/7 use, it is a good option....flawed but with otherwise inaccessible content from across the globe.

You can negotiate significant reductions to your subscription if you deal with retentions, even when you are still in contract. My recent monthly bill for skyq was £80, retentions reduced it to £57. Recording IPTV steams is problematic & rarely successful. a smart tv has all the catch up apps. IPTV is getting better all the time, but quality of service ranges from piss poor to decent but that is dependent on the supplier & the price you pay. Sky & ISP's are committed to disrupting streams, servers & other stategies to attack piracy of their services, so you should expect downtime especially on EFL & PPV broadcasts.....a VPN sub is often required to avoid some of the disruption but not all. However, if you have realistic expectations & don't require 24/7 use, it is a good option....flawed but with otherwise inaccessible content from across the globe.
i've not seen an isp block for months?

In the end - I just went with a YouView box. I got a BT TV Box Pro for £100. Has Prime, Now and Netflix, plus all the catchup services. No other Freesat or Freeview box has all those. Got a discount sub to NowTV, so I'm paying a tenner a month.

Back