Darren Sutherland found dead

noelyf

VIP Member
Darren Sutherland found dead

Irish Olympic medal-winning boxer Darren Sutherland was found dead at home today by his manager.

The 27-year-old, who won bronze for Ireland at the 2008 Games in Beijing, was found dead at his flat in Bromley, south London, by Frank Maloney.

In a statement, the boxing promoter said: 'It is very sad and unexpected.

'At this sad time my thoughts are with Darren's family and I hope their privacy at this very difficult time will be respected by the media.

'It is a tragedy for Ireland and the world of boxing.'

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said Sutherland was pronounced dead at just after 3pm. His death is not being treated as suspicious. His family have been informed.

The fighter made his professional debut in Dublin last December, winning by a knockout.

Sutherland won a bronze medal for Ireland in the middleweight division at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

Minister for Sport Martin Cullen extended his sympathy to Sutherland's family. 'I was very saddened to hear of the death of boxer Darren Sutherland and offer my deepest condolences to his family,' he said in a statement.

'Ireland has lost a sportsman of wonderful ability, a clever and popular man with a future of real potential. His early death deprives us of a magnificent talent. May he rest in peace.'

RTÉ Sport: Darren Sutherland found dead

Sad News :(

RIP

just beat me to it noel....~RIP~darren, you did us proud in the olympics

darran sutherland

very very sad news, was completly shocked when i heard the news, fantastic boxer, may he rest in peace.

000269c910dr.jpg

May He Rest In Peace, a very sad loss to the boxing fraternity,the kids He inspired and of course the World :(

Darren Sutherland To Be Buried Today.

Funeral of Olympian takes place today.

The funeral of Olympic boxer Darren Sutherland is to take place today.

The fighter who won a bronze medal at the Beijing Olympic games was found dead in his London flat by his manager Frank Maloney last Monday.

He will be buried after a service in St Mary's Church, Navan, Co Meath today.

The mourners include his parents Tony and Linda and sisters Nicole and Shaneika.

At the removal mass yesterday a small number of people lined the street in the town.

darren-sutherland.jpg

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0921/sutherlandd.html

MAY HE REST IN PEACE.

Last edited:
oh how sad. not a boxing fan but Bromley is not that far from me and i dont recall hearing it on nay news.

RIP! :( My Heart goes out to his family today

My thoughts are with him and his family today, a great shame, RIP Darren Sutherland :(

Sutherlands on Late Late Show tonight
Friday, 25 September 2009

The parents of late boxer Darren Sutherland will appear on tonight's Late Late Show.

Ryan Tubridy will be talking to Linda and Tony Sutherland about the recent tragic death of their son.

Darren Sutherland, who won bronze for Ireland at the Olympic Games in Beijing in 2008, was laid to rest earlier this week.

The Dublin fighter had been found dead in his London flat a week earlier. He had taken his own life.

Prominent figures from the world of sport turned out to pay their respects to the 27-year-old at his funeral this week.

The mourners included Minister for Arts, Sports & Tourism Martin Cullen and the Aides De Camp for President Mary McAleese and Taoiseach Brian Cowen.

In his homily, Fr Declan Hurley said that while Darren's family were very proud of his boxing achievements, they would swap all those achievements to have their son and brother they love back in their arms.

An emotional group of friends and family said the prayers of the faithful as gifts, including Darren's Olympic medal and his boxing gloves, were brought to the altar.

RTÉ Sport: Sutherlands on Late Late Show tonight

Back