DDR 2 & DDR 3 Ram Memory for PC-Desktop

j4v3d

VIP Member
Hi

Why is DDR 2 ram memory more expensive than the DDR3 Ram memory? - i feel bit unlucky as i want to update my 4GB ram memory to 8GB

i've done the crucial scan and some of the prices im seeing are just like out of my budget well out LOL

here is the results;

Memory:

icon_detail.gif
Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-8500, DDR2 (non-ECC)

Maximum Memory: 8GB

Currently Installed Memory: 4GB

Total Memory Slots: 2

Available Memory Slots: 0

Currently Installed:
2GB
DDR PC2-6400

2GB
DDR PC2-6400

Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-8500 with a maximum of 4GB per slot.*
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory

Last edited:
I would imagine that it is supply and demand. Most manufacturers are now concentrating production on the newer technology of DDR3, this leads to little or no production of the older DDR2 memory modules. But many systems in use still require DDR2, so demand is still high. Which means so is the price.

will the demand for DDR 2 please go away!! Only for x-mas so i can upgrade my memory fairly cheaply lol - damn at this rate this computer is going to kill me lol

Not to p1$$ on your parade, what op system are you using, you know the limitations of the 32 bit system?? also what in the name of all that is good do you need 8 Gb of Ram for?

Not to p1$$ on your parade, what op system are you using, you know the limitations of the 32 bit system?? also what in the name of all that is good do you need 8 Gb of Ram for?

lol wheelo you been drinking too much again? find the toilet lol - its 32bit wheelo - i installed a 64bit version OS and it caused havoc - it would update halfway and the computer would just freeze - 8GB i want it for web-development side of things - visual web developer takes up alot of ram memory as do other software - thought i may as well just go to 8gb - but after the prices ive seen im thinking of sticking it out with the 4GB :)

lol wheelo you been drinking too much again? find the toilet lol - its 32bit wheelo - i installed a 64bit version OS and it caused havoc - it would update halfway and the computer would just freeze - 8GB i want it for web-development side of things - visual web developer takes up alot of ram memory as do other software - thought i may as well just go to 8gb - but after the prices ive seen im thinking of sticking it out with the 4GB :)

As far as I know a 32bit OS will only read 3.xx GB/4.00GB of RAM so anything above that will be a waste. I think Crucial is saying that your system is capable of up to 8GB RAM, but without a 64bit OS you wont be using anything more than mentioned. But WOW 4GB in itself is quite alot. lol

When you say havoc, what is it that you mean? Blue Screen Of Death? Random Reboots? Random black screens? Errors?

Also which processor do you have?

Last edited:
Both wheelo and dangerous are correct in regards to the memory limit of 32 bit systems. Anything above 4 will not be utilized. Also, even if you are running a 64 bit system, the program itself would have to be a 64 bit version to be able to take advantage of that much memory if it had the need for it in the first place. Very few programs actually have a need for that.

lol wheelo you been drinking too much again? find the toilet lol - its 32bit wheelo
Again, the question begs to be asked - do you know the limitations with regards to RAM of a 32 bit system?? to my knowledge, limited though it is, a 32 bit system can't use more than 4GB ram.
As for the drinking, never too much :lep:

it is exactly as advised ddr2 is no longer used by the majority and there for harder to get hold of bit like old car parts for old cars not readily available and if it is then often comes at a premium.

in regards to 32bit OS no point in installing over 4gb as OS can not make any use of it at all. would like to know issues faced when loading or using your 64bit OS from previous assuming off course it is a 64 bit processor there should be very little difference in terms of day to day use only difference is in the way the processor can do its numerations.

currently running win7 premium 64 bit on my laptop and runs a dream and installation was no different from the several hundred installs of various OS's i have completed over the years

never mind im sticking to what i have :)

the 64bit OS was just saying updating dont shutdown computer and would never move. i have a quad-core processor. Sod it just keeping it as it is - not playing around with it - if i ever upgrade i'll just buy a new PC or laptop in the future.

Back