Dell Optiplex 3020

Harleyman

My Dell after a short time will freeze completely and I haft to hold the power button in and reboot, I have updated all my drivers from Dell and I have run my antivirus and malaware apps which didn't find anything. Can some off the learned members give me any advice please.
Many thanks in advance if someone can advise me on what the problem might be.
Regards
Harleyman

avast free as far as I know I haven't been downloading any dogie stuff. I bought this PC from a company that went into liquidation and has never run very fast do you think formatting the hard drive and starting from scratch again would work?
Many thanks for your reply

Many thanks I shall take your'e advice as I have nothing important on my PC once again thanks for taking the time to respond.
Regards
Harleyman

Today I did a complete install with no Apps installed. after going to youtube to run a video my Dell once again froze if you can advise on what to try next it would be much appreciated.

When it's running, on the desktop right click on My Computer > Properties. Make a note of the specs and post them here.

Hi I hope this info is of use
Dell Optiplex 3020
Windows 10 Pro
x86 Based
460 GB Hard drive
8GB Core i5 memory
DVD player
No programs added as yet but PC still freezing and I haft to hold power button in to turn off.
I hope this is the info you require

run diagnostics from here
Support for OptiPlex 3020 | Diagnostics | Dell UK
run the quick test
About the Quick Test

This test includes components that are most likely to cause issues, such as hard drive or memory. Replacement parts may be free-of-charge if under warranty.

Test time: 10 minutes

Example issues

• Slow or hanging PC
  • Freezing or randomly restarting
  • Hard drive errors
  • Files won't open
  • PC making noise

let us know what is happening

Enhanced Pre-Boot System Assessment (ePSA) Diagnostics

1. Power-on the computer.
  2. As the computer boots, press the <F12> key as the Dell logo appears.
  3. On the boot menu screen, select the Diagnostics option.
  4. The Enhanced Pre-boot System Assessment window is displayed, listing all devices detected in the computer.
  5. The diagnostics starts running the tests on all the detected devices.
  6. If you wish to run a diagnostic test on a specific device, press <Esc> and click Yes to stop the diagnostic test.
  7. Select the device from the left pane and click Run Tests.
  8. If there are any issues, error codes are displayed. Note the error code and contact Dell.

I have just run the Dell diagnostic test and the report said no problems found any ideas from my learned friends on what to try next?
Thanks for all the replies looks like I've got a right problem. Running the full diagnostics took about 40 mins. Yet if I play a video it can freeze in a couple off minutes or just on search engines.

One of the resons PCs freeze is overheating. Can you hear the fan running? Does that area feel excessively hot to the touch. Get your vacuum cleaner and use the hand held part to suck out any dust that may have accumulated in the fan.

After trying everything without success I was about to give a friend off mine suggested trying another hard and he loaned me one. I'm glad to report this has cured my problem. I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to assist me it was much appreciated problem now solved.

Back