Device advice

toooner

Hello! I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction please. I've started using XE service with my VU+ Solo2 and it works amazing well alongside my Sly (UK) FTA channels with OpenATV & Whoosh. The issue I have is that my Solo2 struggles with 1080p IPTV streams and stutters a lot. I've tried all sorts of things and have not been able to resolve it. I've therefore made the decision to upgrade but I have some things I'm not sure on, despite having done a fair bit of reading.

1) I think OpenVPN is using up reasonable amount of resources, If I get a newer 4k box will it definitely cope with 1080p IPTV streams while using VPN?
2) Usability is really top importance, is Enigma2 the way to go if you want nice GUI and both FTA sat and IPTV? Should I be considering Formuler or anything like that?
3) I don't mind spending £250 if I have to, but I'd prefer to spend less, is there any min CPU/RAM I should be looking for? Any box recommendations?

Thanks in advance
tooner

Are you sure you've got enough bandwidth to cope with 1080p?
Well I'm 1gbps but with the VPN running it seems to max out at about 15mbps when I run the speedtest plugin. I'll get 400mbps+ on my PC using same VPN node, so not sure why bandwidth is poor other than it looks like a performance issue. It could be that bandwidth is the bottleneck but my ISP throttles the hell out of IPTV so I can't test any full HD feeds without VPN enabled. It's the XE VPN plugin I use rather than openvpn directly, I'm not sure if that matters at all?

Sounds a bit low to me, is there no HD channels you can check without VPN running ?
Someone far more clued up than me will be along soon

Is it just on the 1080 channels you are struggling with?.
but if you are on 1gbps broadband even if your isp throttled you it shouldn't have an affect that the 1080 channels stutter have you tried changing to a different location on your box.

Hello! I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction please. I've started using XE service with my VU+ Solo2 and it works amazing well alongside my Sly (UK) FTA channels with OpenATV & Whoosh. The issue I have is that my Solo2 struggles with 1080p IPTV streams and stutters a lot. I've tried all sorts of things and have not been able to resolve it. I've therefore made the decision to upgrade but I have some things I'm not sure on, despite having done a fair bit of reading.

1) I think OpenVPN is using up reasonable amount of resources, If I get a newer 4k box will it definitely cope with 1080p IPTV streams while using VPN?
2) Usability is really top importance, is Enigma2 the way to go if you want nice GUI and both FTA sat and IPTV? Should I be considering Formuler or anything like that?
3) I don't mind spending £250 if I have to, but I'd prefer to spend less, is there any min CPU/RAM I should be looking for? Any box recommendations?

Thanks in advance
tooner
The chip processor in that box is only 1300 (mhz) which is slow by todays boxes.The solo 2 is about 4/5 years old now.

Thanks for the replies.
Sounds a bit low to me, is there no HD channels you can check without VPN running ?
Someone far more clued up than me will be along soon
My ISP seems to hate all things IPTV so I don't think so.
Is it just on the 1080 channels you are struggling with?.
but if you are on 1gbps broadband even if your isp throttled you it shouldn't have an affect that the 1080 channels stutter have you tried changing to a different location on your box.
I've tried all different VPN nodes, the fastest I can get is about 15-20mbps
The chip processor in that box is only 1300 (mhz) which is slow by todays boxes.The solo 2 is about 4/5 years old now.
From what I see, the CPUs are only up to 1.7ghz now, does that translate to much faster?

I'm currently looking at options for VPN on router rather than on E2 box.

Thanks for the replies.

My ISP seems to hate all things IPTV so I don't think so.

I've tried all different VPN nodes, the fastest I can get is about 15-20mbps

From what I see, the CPUs are only up to 1.7ghz now, does that translate to much faster?

I'm currently looking at options for VPN on router rather than on E2 box.
Yes because they are duel core units.1700 ghz = 3400 ghz processing power (massive difference)

Last edited:
You could look at a formuler android box then buy the usb tuner for your FTA. Thos would be a much better option in my opinion
Sounds interesting! Would you say the GUI would be superior to E2 for normal TV watching? The most important thing is to keep my OH happy watching, pausing, rewinding, series recording etc. normal TV.

Update on my issue, I spent most of the day installing a custom firmware on my router, so that it can run VPN software locally. Unfortunately the speeds I'm seeing are the same, at 10-15mbps. After further reading it seems to be because VPNs are demanding and need a lot of CPU time for encryption and decryption. Basically neither my router or my Solo2 are up to the task. Would a newer box be, I'm not sure... I'm not even sure if that is what my problem is at the moment.

Sounds interesting! Would you say the GUI would be superior to E2 for normal TV watching? The most important thing is to keep my OH happy watching, pausing, rewinding, series recording etc. normal TV.

Update on my issue, I spent most of the day installing a custom firmware on my router, so that it can run VPN software locally. Unfortunately the speeds I'm seeing are the same, at 10-15mbps. After further reading it seems to be because VPNs are demanding and need a lot of CPU time for encryption and decryption. Basically neither my router or my Solo2 are up to the task. Would a newer box be, I'm not sure... I'm not even sure if that is what my problem is at the moment.
A much faster device with a gaming router would be a massive improvement. Mike123 would know better on the high end devices than i do as he buys them for fun.Gaming routers are built for speed using a vpn and never seen anyone mention them on here.

A much faster device with a gaming router would be a massive improvement. Mike123 would know better on the high end devices than i do as he buys them for fun.Gaming routers are built for speed using a vpn and never seen anyone mention them on here.
Thanks, I'm going to do my research. It could be that a fast router is the answer to my prayers!

Back