Dish Upgrade - Worthwhile?

werdna

I have a motorised 80cm Triax dish, and able to receive most channels I want. I had a 1m dish years ago and picked up most feeds, but now I only get about 10% of feeds posted on Satelliweb.

I was thinking of upgrading my dish, but getting a dish posted to Northern Ireland isn't the easiest at the minute. I also don't want to go as big as 1m again, so was looking at options and found this dish:
Technisat SATMAN 850 PLUS 85cm Aluminium Satellite Dish Polar White

I was looking at the Triax 1.1m, which is no longer available. This message was posted:
NO LONGER AVAILABLE - BUT DO NOT WORRY A DISH DOESN'T NEED TO BE THIS BIG NOWADAYS - CHECK OUT THE SUPERB TECHNISAT RANGE - THE BEST PERFORMING DISHES WE HAVE SEEN TO DATE & AMAZING RUST-FREE (20 YEAR GUARANTEE) QUALITY - THE 85CM PERFORMS BETTER THAN MANY OTHER BRANDS 1M

Do you think this is true? Am I likely to see an improvement on a fairly new Triax 80cm dish? It's a lot of money for a dish, but I would pay it if I could get similar performance from a 1m dish at 85cm.

Thanks

I have a motorised 80cm Triax dish, and able to receive most channels I want. I had a 1m dish years ago and picked up most feeds, but now I only get about 10% of feeds posted on Satelliweb.

I was thinking of upgrading my dish, but getting a dish posted to Northern Ireland isn't the easiest at the minute. I also don't want to go as big as 1m again, so was looking at options and found this dish:

I was looking at the Triax 1.1m, which is no longer available. This message was posted:

Do you think this is true? Am I likely to see an improvement on a fairly new Triax 80cm dish? It's a lot of money for a dish, but I would pay it if I could get similar performance from a 1m dish at 85cm.

Thanks

I upgraded from 80cm Triax to 1m Triax last year for the same reason. Still not able to get 100% feeds but can tune more than 50% feeds on 10e etc.

I think bigger is definitely better if you are looking for feed hunting.

You wont mate an 85cm dish just simply wont perform like a 1 meter dish. Only exception would be the Gregorian type dual reflector dishes. The 90cm gregorian dish would perform to a similar level if not greater then a normal 1 meter dish. Sadly no longer made.

No, that price is 0TT to get a good answer you need to say, what receiver are you uisng, whats the lnb, whats the cable, whats the motor, did you install it yourself, have you a clear view of the sky, what sat do you want, is it all feeds.

I have had an 85cm built by Nokia, a 1m gilbertini, still have as a spare, a gilbertini 1.25m that I sold as it came warped, and I prefer my triax 110cm, I get 42e to 30w but not interested in feeds. If I was you I would get the triax 88cm with sats size does matter. My 1m beats the 85cm, my 110cm beats the 1m and the 1.25 beats the lot but I used the same box, cable, motor and lnb but I have tried quite a few lnb's and the best is the black ultra. The only snag with the triax 110 is its heavy and tough to align.

My receiver is an AX HD61. I installed it myself, but am pretty confident it's as aligned as possible. I spent a lot of time with a sat tester. I have a clear view of sky, and I'd like a good amount of feeds, but normal tv too.

I have a Technomate TM-2 LNB, but think this is the first thing I'll try and upgrade. I'm between the Golden Media 202+ and Inverto Black Ultra. I need dual lnb, does the black ultra still perform well as a dual lnb?

You wont mate an 85cm dish just simply wont perform like a 1 meter dish. Only exception would be the Gregorian type dual reflector dishes. The 90cm gregorian dish would perform to a similar level if not greater then a normal 1 meter dish. Sadly no longer made.
How do you think a mesh dish would compare? Something like this:
Amiko 97cm Mesh Pole Mount Dish With Free Fixing Bolts Bolts | eBay

Or this:
Satellite Dish 105cm Mesh | eBay

Edit, also, how important is a dishes advertised gain? This dish is a 1m with less gain that the 85cm technisat I posted originally. All marketing?
Dragonsat 1m / 100cm Hi-Gain Solid Satellite Dish Pole Mount With Fittings

Last edited:
How do you think a mesh dish would compare? Something like this:
Amiko 97cm Mesh Pole Mount Dish With Free Fixing Bolts Bolts | eBay

Or this:
Satellite Dish 105cm Mesh | eBay

Edit, also, how important is a dishes advertised gain? This dish is a 1m with less gain that the 85cm technisat I posted originally. All marketing?
Dragonsat 1m / 100cm Hi-Gain Solid Satellite Dish Pole Mount With Fittings
PlutoDirect has had some recent bad reviews.
There's a 1.1m Mix dish HERE, but they are waiting delivery.
Use a 1m dish or bigger for feeds, I'd recommend a solid dish only.
I've got both Twin Golden Media 202+ & Twin Inverto Black Ultra lnbs, I've found that the Golden media 202+ is slightly better for weak signals.

I have the axhd61 but I use a VU+ DUO2 for motor I'll do a comparison llater today re signal strength. That gm202+ is getting great reports so thats an upgrade. I use a dark supreme motor with usals. satworld ie do a nice 1m dish but i dont trust post so may be too far away.

I have the axhd61 but I use a VU+ DUO2 for motor I'll do a comparison llater today re signal strength. That gm202+ is getting great reports so thats an upgrade. I use a dark supreme motor with usals. satworld ie do a nice 1m dish but i dont trust post so may be too far away.
This would be great to know actually. I'm aware the engima2 boxes are not exactly designed for feed hunting. I already have a Viark box alongside the AX HD61 and don't want to get another, but interested if the box really makes that much difference.

This would be great to know actually. I'm aware the engima2 boxes are not exactly designed for feed hunting. I already have a Viark box alongside the AX HD61 and don't want to get another, but interested if the box really makes that much difference.
Stick with what you have the Viarks blind scan is not all that back and auto biss works most of the time. You AX HD61 is e2 so i dont see point of another e2 box in your case.

Is the Viarks the same as a Starsat 2000hd extreme? One of my starsat's went belly up and thinking of getting a Viark to have a play but do I need to load software myself?

Is the Viarks the same as a Starsat 2000hd extreme? One of my starsat's went belly up and thinking of getting a Viark to have a play but do I need to load software myself?
There aimed at the same servers but software is a little different and the older versions can not use the FS pro servers the Viarks do.

With the Viarks you can do online updates but i always prefer to do the updates via usb there less risk imo.

I tested the axhd61 against the duo2 and the tuner in the AXHD61 is not as sensitive. On 9east where dish was I tried 4e hellas and duo2 is 100% signal and 96% agc. the ax is 72% and 37%. Then 13east and same result. The starsat was 92% signal. These differences make no odds for normal channels but could have an impact on feeds.

I tested the axhd61 against the duo2 and the tuner in the AXHD61 is not as sensitive. On 9east where dish was I tried 4e hellas and duo2 is 100% signal and 96% agc. the ax is 72% and 37%. Then 13east and same result. The starsat was 92% signal. These differences make no odds for normal channels but could have an impact on feeds.
Wow, big difference there. Thanks for testing

With regards to tuner sensitivity, you’re better off finding a weak channel/feed and to see which box breaks up first, or if one box can get a picture but the other can’t etc.

The % values aren’t really that comparable between boxes. My Viark is higher on some channels than my Octagon and lower on some too lol.

Thanks
dish size most definitely matters, as does quality cable, quality lnb & alignment, as do the correct settings in your box & the quality of the box's tuner. so, quite a few variables to consider & even if just 1 of these are off, it can have a drastic effect......if parameters are outside optimum across the board, then, the cumulative effects can leave many satellite positions out of focus.

Back