Dog insurance

jolly3434

Is it normal for vets to want payment upfront before dog surgery?
My yorkie dog is 8 years old, never had problems in the past and never had to use my dog insurance.
Using the same Vets since she was a puppy.
Last week she was limping not putting weight on her back leg, so i brought her to the Vets, and was told she need a xray, which she had and i paid £300.
I was told she needs surgery as her knee and her knee socket need it , as it common problem with small dogs.
It will cost me £4000 for the operation, but they want payment upfront even thio i have dog insurance for upto £7000. said after surgery i can then claim from insurance.
I bought the dog insurance so wouldnt have to worry about vets costs like this, so were do they expect someone to find £4000 ?
and i am unempolyed at the moment, its just more worry at these times.
Is this normal or is this because of the Covid 'time' we are in. everyone just getting there money first? I f this is what Vets are doing, i can see a lot of dogs been put too sleep as they dont have a have the money.

It's not unheard of. Some vets operate without prior payment but make customers sign an agreement to say in the event of insurance not paying out they know they're personally liable.

Ultimately your insurance agreement is between you and the insurance company, not you and the vet and as such they're perfectly entitled to refuse to treat your pet without payment up front. It might be worth ringing your insurer to ask them to deal directly with the vets, I'd hope they'd be happy to do so given your current circumstances.

I hope everything goes well and that your dog makes a good recovery, please keep us posted.

RSPCA Unfortunately we are unable to accept any new registrations at this time.

But as i said, i have dog insurance, its them wanting payment up front , then me claim from the insurance.
Just seems stressfull, i dont think everyone has £4000 to spare or i wouldnt have needed insurance.

My daughter is lending me the money from her savings 'it was her depost for flat'. So can get surgery on dog, then claim the money back and pay daughter back.
Will have to ring vets and see whne they can book her for surgery.
Will let you know how she is after.
Thankyou all (y)

I recently had occasion to use a vet to operate on our dog's cancerous growth - which appears to have done the trick - being a total cynic i checked the costs charged me for medications - in essence i was charged around £250 in total for the meds by the vet- however my local chemist could have supplied them for about £70 0n a vets prescription that costs £10
Moral of this belated post - check around you can get ripped off anywhere these days - not just by the naughty politicians in westminster

I recently had occasion to use a vet to operate on our dog's cancerous growth - which appears to have done the trick - being a total cynic i checked the costs charged me for medications - in essence i was charged around £250 in total for the meds by the vet- however my local chemist could have supplied them for about £70 0n a vets prescription that costs £10
Moral of this belated post - check around you can get ripped off anywhere these days - not just by the naughty politicians in westminster
That price would’ve included the op as well surely bud.
Vets are expensive but how I look at is you would pay it for a family member so why not your pet whether could get things cheaper.

Vets prices can be expensive but a lot of cost goes on weight for example it cost me £275 for me to have best friend put down that included him been put to sleep his cremation and his ashes.
My kittens cost me £160 at vets for check up injections and flea stuff (no didn’t have fleas) just that the age they was no one would sell us any.

my llassa became poorly 6 month after we gt her ,evan tho the insurence was capped at half due to only just setting up , r vets kept us upto date on what the cost was ,but it was the first time for us so wasnt 100% up on it like but all we paid was a set 27 quid fee + filled a form for vets to claim bill from insurer

my llassa became poorly 6 month after we gt her ,evan tho the insurence was capped at half due to only just setting up , r vets kept us upto date on what the cost was ,but it was the first time for us so wasnt 100% up on it like but all we paid was a set 27 quid fee + filled a form for vets to claim bill from insurer
andshe used 1400 of the capped at 1500 in a week n half lol but all went thru ok

Back