Domain pass

Nugg3t82

I recently found an oldish laptop my daughter had from college, I thought she returned it after she left. I fired it in hope it would boot normal into windows, in hope of resetting it, or ordering a windows disc to start from fresh. However, I get a ctl alt del to login, she can't remember the login as it was awhile back, I tried a password reset from a YouTube video, it found the user name, so i reset password but when I try and login it says domain can't be found.

Any help would be appreciated.

Firstly, I am not a windows person.
However, on startup when you are presented with the dialogue box that asks for your username and password, there will also be a third field available, and it is what is in that third field which dictates whether the machine looks to a domain controller or just looks into itself. So, choose the "local" or "this computer" option in that third field (or words to that effect) to have it not look outside somewhere for a domain controller.
If you cannot immediately see the third field, there will be a (sometimes) subtle icon or drop-down/point-up chevron or arrow to click on to make that third field appear.

Meanwhile, attempting to login to a password protected machine with an old and out of date operating system can take a long time for little or no reward or utility. Why not just install a fresh operating system on it and be done with it.

Back