Doner kebab meat

loncell

TK Veteran
Now we're heading into lockdown I'm gonna give making my own doner meat then at least i know what's going in it.

has anyone tried this stuff or know of a recipe make your own ?.
Also do you mix meats ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201021-001802_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201021-001802_Chrome.jpg
    883.5 KB · Views: 20
Agree with you.

Donor meat you get now is disgusting full of fat and all other crap.

Will say many years ago when my uncle was running his own takeaway he always made the donor himself. Chicken donor was was 100% chicken breast and the donor kebab was 100% lamb to extra crap in it. Man it was amazing and last time I had donor.

Looked at the receipe, dont buy the:

• ½ teaspoon of dried italian herbs
A doner is traditionally Turkish and Arab by nature with greeks having their gyro. Pretty certain they dont have a bottle of Italian herbs in some village in Turkey named Doner where the kebe was 1st made lol.

I'm sure it adds to the taste, but try find an authentic receipe. Its like the Indian take aways, travel to india pakistan etc no one knows wat a rogan josh is lol...always prefer authentic food....

P.s if you want a shawerma taste, add cinnamon!

Looked at the receipe, dont buy the:

• ½ teaspoon of dried italian herbs
A doner is traditionally Turkish and Arab by nature with greeks having their gyro. Pretty certain they dont have a bottle of Italian herbs in some village in Turkey named Doner where the kebe was 1st made lol.

I'm sure it adds to the taste, but try find an authentic receipe. Its like the Indian take aways, travel to india pakistan etc no one knows wat a rogan josh is lol...always prefer authentic food....

P.s if you want a shawerma taste, add cinnamon!
Often in recipes an authentic ingredient can be difficult to source so it'll be replaced with something that tastes similar enough - eg tamarind can be substituted with lime juice and brown sugar

TBF any check you do for a doner receipe, spices used are easy to pick up. The ones I listed were given to me by an owner of a kebeb shop, and Ive managd to find all in supermarkets in the UK

i remember a few years ago a cooking programme in a country not going to say as might be wrong, well there kebab was made on the morning and was layers of chicken and presume lamb and spices,and as it was cooked was basted with oil and spices,and looked very very nice,and remember the english chef saying,this is great not like the rubbish you get after a few beers on a saturday night.

I know might be bit off topic as we are talking about doner kebab but its still based on kebabs lol.

So with us we make kebabs or in other languages called tikya.

We never add any fat or anything butchers usually give. 100% lamb with all grounded herbs and spices mixed together and applied to meat.

Leave for few hours so flavours get well mixed into the meat and start making it.

With pitta bread, buns or fresh nan and not forgetting mint yoghurt sauce it comes out amazing.

Reminds me of a kebab shop in Twickenham, Water Lane, just off King Street back in the 80s... big layers of proper meat and carved off with a sword... my very first one when I was 21....

it certainly dont taste like the 80's anymore

Really depends where you go tbh

Some really nice places still open from 80s and 90s

One place up north is example of proper authentic indian/pakistani cooking as chefs have actually come from there and brought there knowledge and recipes over here.

a lot depends where you go, often heard stories of canned pet food meat being used as the owners know clientele will pissed lol.

Trick i always use that often works is go to place full of local and often off the main high street, likely to be very good!

Back