Dual Monitor dramas

JakCurse

So, I've recently (today) decided that I don't really use my 360 any more, and I'd rather put my TV to use as a second monitor for my Laptop, connected via HDMI. The Laptop model is Acer 5755G, and TV is Technica X185/54G. The issue I'm having is that the display is not.. "standardized," if I can put it that way; between the two displays. My laptops built in display is soft and easy to read, whereas the TV display, I can't really explain why, just doesn't look right. Text is just more difficult to read on the TV than it is on the laptop screen, despite them being practically the same size, same distance from me and same resolution (1366x768 on the lappy and 1360x768 on the TV- recommended resolutions) I've tried playing round with the settings on the TV but I can't seem to improve it at all, it ends up looking just as bad but in a different way. I'm wondering if there's any way I can normalize the display between the two monitors, and how I'd go about doing it?

I have trouble with my HTPC when it comes to text especially. You would think that a 46" HDTV would be really nice to surf the internet with, but it tends to make my eyes ache. I know this doesn't help with your question, and I will try looking further in to it, but I wanted you to know you weren't alone with the issue.

The general image, picture quality and color balance is worlds apart and I can't seem to improve it- Changing the resolution up to 1080p somewhat improves the color balance but text remains difficult to read

Last edited:
have you tried a better hdmi cable, i have a philips tv i connected desktop to crap picture also so i believe the quality in a lot of tvs is not there for razor sharp reading,try a better tv and see.

I HAVE tried running it through VGA instead, although rather than iffy text and borders, everything is blurred and indistinct.

Remember too that TV's and computer monitors are made up of different lines of pixels so the TV will never have the clarity the monitor has, then you upscale that to a 40" or 50" screen and it amplifies the problem.

Also doubt the HDMI cable makes a difference as it is a digital cable. Plenty of reviews on £1 - £100 cables and no difference in quality.

Back