ELECTRICITY METER QUESTION/HELP PLEASE

pisshead

Hi guys,

A little worried here for my sister if anyone can help please ?

My sister told me the other day that she got a call the other week from some company that said they were to send out an engineer to fit new smoke alarms/carbon monoxide detectors, they said this was all free and authorised fully with her housing association she pays her rent to etc, so she thought nothing of it and then two engineers turned up as planned the other day to do the work.

She said she noticed them doing likewise at neighbours houses in her street too and honestly thought if they are doing this for everyone then they must be legitimate etc which they probably are.

I made a VERY clear point to her though that she should NEVER allow anyone into her house unless it's in writing/letter and comes with all the paperwork and also details of who she can call to check that they aren't con men OR even worse etc, could have been murderers for all she knew, anyway, she listened to the warning and won't do it again in future.

I went and had a look about her house and it looks like they done what they said in fitting new smoke/carbon monoxide detectors (I think).

I think a couple if not all are wired to the electricity supply and also have battery back up too (I think), not sure as I don't have much of a clue about these things really, but maybe you guys will be wiser about these things and be able to offer advice please ?

Straight away I noticed a transmitter/reciever box fitted to her electric meter (she pays monthly by direct debit for gas and electric).

I noticed as I say what looks to me like a transmitter or reciever connected to the electric meter (see photos attached).

I asked her had she agreed at any point to take a smart meter and she said 100% NO as she knows that smart meters are just another way of being snooped on etc as I previously advised her, at least she remembered that, lol.

So I noticed two boxes laying in the electric meter cupboard and they where brand new unopened smart meter devices that you would have on your kitchen worktop or desk or somewhere suitable in your house, but they are in the box not even been touched which I found really weird man, isn't that a bit strange ?

The only thing that stood out to me was this little black transmitter/reciever box they had wired to the electric meter (see attached photos), I quickly safely disconnected it as it's very simple and safe to do, she never at any point asked for a smart meter therefore if this thing is for a smart meter to work then it legally shouldn't be fitted, simple as that.

I am quite worried about one thing though, that being, could the transmitter/reciever have anything to do with the smoke/carbon monoxide detectors fitted ?

Could the transmitter/reciever thing stop the smoke/carbon monoxide detectors working properly ?, it's just that I noticed one of the instructions manuals they left said on it "radio link alarm base" and that made me really wonder as I was thinking maybe the alarms connect wirelessly to the little black transmitter/reciever box, yes/no ?

Or is that little black box only for smart meters that would be placed around the house in suitable places if you actually wanted a smart meter, is that the only thing that the black box is for I wonder ?

To me it's just all slightly strange, that's why I am asking you guys in hope that someone can nail this on the head exactly what these suckers where up to in my sisters house, a bit angry to be honest for her being so silly as to allow anything to happen without prior letters etc, as I said to her, she could have been allowing murderers into her house, she has listened to the warning and won't make that mistake again, however, I am still a little worried about whatever they were up to as I'm not actually sure what they FULLY done and they didn't give her a receipt or ask her to sign anything either which makes it even more worrying especially for her.

I just hope one of you guys will see all the photos attached and know straight away what they were doing exactly please ?

What have they been doing you think ? I just don't trust anyone.

IMAG1409.jpg IMAG1412.jpg IMAG1414.jpg IMAG1416.jpg IMAG1417.jpg IMAG1418.jpg IMAG1419.jpg IMAG1420.jpg IMAG1409.jpg IMAG1412.jpg IMAG1414.jpg IMAG1416.jpg IMAG1417.jpg IMAG1418.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think it's anything sinister..It is odd that no paperwork was signed. I would call the property association she rents or lets from, and they would be able to tell you that it IS a smart meter upgrade, despite saying NO. Fuel companies want to roll out smart meters to every household. I know it's been rolled out in the States. Some are suspicious that the energy providers can shut down your electricity and gas if an electronic valve is fitted. The energy company Scottish Gas, can easily measure the electricity consumption using a transducer attached to the output side of the electricity meter. A transducer converts one form of energy into another for measuring electro magnetic waves.e.g. A microphone uses changing values in air pressure to small electric currents for processing via an amplifier.
The same principle applies to gas and electric, using a flow valve on the gas.
I wouldn't worry to much. The smoke alarms are battery powered and the carbon monoxide from your pictures they talk back to the smart meter, they may alert Scottish Gas to an alarm event or not. There should be a real time display in plain sight, displaying usage in real time.
This install was done surupticiosly technically. I'm not inferring it's not installed correctly, but against your sister's express wishes. Being a Tennant, the building owner can override your sister's denial for a Smart meter. I believe this is the case. She should photograph the installer Picture ID. Phone home owner for peace of mind.

Thats the thing too, shes not even with Scottish Gas either, shes with another company for dual fuel, maybe unless Scottish Gas engineers work for all the major companies too, I dunno. ?

I pulled the transmitter/reciever thing off anyway soon as I seen it literally, lol, she didn't ask for no smart meter and to me that is just them the government trying to force all of us into having these things so that they can basically have more control over us, bersterds that they are if thats the case :mad::mad::quiet::quiet: lol

I still don't think it's right what they done though, that's typical con-men tricks, like we both said, strange how no paperwork and just a phonecall to her, shes going to have a word with a neighbour later on and see if they got the same thing done and didnt ask for a smart meter either.

Tell me this, does anyone know ? To have a normal standard fitted smart meter with your provider fitted, how do they get the signal from the meter to their office computers ???

Say the customer doesn't have any internet or any telephone for example.

Yes ask neighbours also.
Your meter has a device I'd, like a mobile. So it can be identified by fuel company. Suppliers piggy bag of the big six suppliers. My electric and gas supply was installed by British gas, but I'm with a different supplier. Maybe your sister's is the same.
The fuel supplier just wants to know how many KWh, peak demand time, and from this they can make a good guess on your lifestyle for market research, which they will probably sell.
It can paint a picture of your lifestyle etc..

Yes ask neighbours also.
Your meter has a device I'd, like a mobile. So it can be identified by fuel company. Suppliers piggy bag of the big six suppliers. My electric and gas supply was installed by British gas, but I'm with a different supplier. Maybe your sister's is the same.
The fuel supplier just wants to know how many KWh, peak demand time, and from this they can make a good guess on your lifestyle for market research, which they will probably sell.
It can paint a picture of your lifestyle etc..

Thats exactly what I am talking about mate.

I still don't know how they get thier smart meter readings from a smart meter in someones house to thier office computer database if the home owner doesn't have any internet or phoneline ? Does anyone know answer to that one too ?

As I described earlier your meter has an electronic serial number and device I'd. You can send a small limited amount of information through the electricity grid. Just like they can tell how many viewers watch a certain programme on TV.
I hope this fully answers your question.
Try googling smart meters.
Thanks

Hi Pisshead,

The wireless device may be used by the Housing Association to remote test and check the smoke, carbon monoxide detector. But you'd need to read the manuals that it came with as it would save them loads sending people round to check as it's now the landlords responsibility to ensure the smoke alarms and relevant devices are working.

Best thing for her to do rather than you panic is to ring up her landlord and check that they sent someone over to fit the device. If not then report to police.

Are you sure that the Scottish power device wasn't there before ? :: Could have been fitted years ago...

I have a similar device attached to my main power cable - it transmits my electricity usage to display unit I have on my kitchen worktop (so I can see how much it costs to boil a kettle...!)

=====

Did you take a photo of the actual meter in her house ??

Last edited:
Are you sure that the Scottish power device wasn't there before ? :: Could have been fitted years ago...

I have a similar device attached to my main power cable - it transmits my electricity usage to display unit I have on my kitchen worktop (so I can see how much it costs to boil a kettle...!)

=====

Did you take a photo of the actual meter in her house ??
Its a usage monitor, some providers gave them out free they just send your usage to a small monitor you can place and view anywhere, so a cheap substitute for a smart meter in a way, nothing sinister.

Back