Engine revved itself to death

Ja88mie

Hi All,

So.... Took our 57 plate, 2.0 diesel Qashqai on it's second trip to southern Spain. All was going well until day 2. I was on the motorway doing 75mph on cruise control when the road started up a steep section of motorway. All of a sudden the car started to speed up on its own. I turned off the cruise control but it kept speeding up. The revs hit maximum for a few seconds, then the engine cut out. Looked in the mirror and couldn't see for the smoke. I got over to the hard shoulder and that was it, engine no go go. At least no fire, family ok.

So my breakdown cover got the car taken to a Nissan dealership in Spain, who quoted £6000 for a new engine and turbo. Now I'm getting the car repatriated to the UK, to be assessed and repaired.

Which brings me to my question: The used engine replacing / re-manufacturing industry seems particularly dodgy and a total minefield. Can anyone recommend a garage or firm who can be trusted to look at my car without bumping the price up every few days? Hope that doesn't go against any rules of the forum. Any more general advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jamie

Yeah that goes beyond issues that are reasonable. That's a serious safety issue if the car speeded up on its own - I would be going nuts at Nissan directly.

It's more common than you think on the Renault Diesel engine, happened on many Laguna's and Megane's, and indeed it's normally a new engine and Turbo, if manual clutch too......you have not stated your location ( or I can't see it ) that would help people maybe recommend somewhere nearby? Maybe look at the Renault forums for anybody recommended, but prepare yourself for a large bill or time to replace?

aye sounds like turbo went and sucked oil out of engine,wonder if he thought he was bond james bond laying down a smoke screen to stop others from following:fartlight: lol

Not long since had same problem myself. Managed to grab a brand new engine with all ancillaries new turbos clutch/flywheel egr/cooler and other bits n bobs i cant remember about but all-in with a decent back street garage cost me just shy of £3K cars running sweet 4K later.

Wasn't getting any DPF messages on dash leading upto this were you??

turbo knackered sucks all oil out of engine . only one way to stop it and that is to block off the air intake .do that before it revs up and siezes the engine and most likely get away with just a new turbo

turbo knackered sucks all oil out of engine . only one way to stop it and that is to block off the air intake .do that before it revs up and siezes the engine and most likely get away with just a new turbo

Or put it in 5/6th and stall it

one most important thing overlooked is regular oil and filter changed with correct spec used as its not been done will shorten your turbo life.

Back