England Crash Out Of World Cup As Italy Lose

j4v3d

VIP Member
450938274-1-522x293.jpg

England are out of the World Cup after Costa Rica secured an unlikely win against Italy.

The national side's defeat in their first two games left them relying on Italy to win both of their remaining matches if they were to remain in the tournament.

450938562-1-522x293.jpg

But after 90 minutes that saw the Italians struggle to break down their opponents - who had a strong claim for a penalty turned down - Costa Rica held on to win 1-0 after Bryan Ruiz's headed goal just before half-time.

It comes after FA chairman Greg Dyke said Roy Hodgson would stay as England manager until 2016.

450942516-1-252x337.jpg

Hodgson, who has two years left on his contract, said following the Uruguay defeat that he would not resign, and Mr Dyke gave him his full backing.

Mr Dyke told Sky Sports News: "He came to do a four-year cycle and ... people have been asking the question: 'Will he stay?', well the answer is yes."

England's 2-1 defeats to Uruguay and Italy mean the side exits the World Cup at the group stages for the first time since 1958.

Even if Italy had beaten Costa Rica, England needed them to also win against Uruguay. Meanwhile, England would have had to triumph against Costa Rica in their final group match.

Speaking after England's loss to Uruguay, captain Steven Gerrard said: "We maybe should have accepted that going for a point might have been the best option."

Former England midfielder Matt Le Tissier backed the decision to keep faith with Hodgson.

450945090-1-522x293.jpg

"I think Greg Dyke was right, we weren't embarrassed in any way," he told Sky Sports News.

"They were two very tight matches and we came out on the wrong side of them.

"I don't think we gave away that many chances. Yes it is incredibly difficult but I don't think it was humiliating in any way."

LINK: England Crash Out Of World Cup As Italy Lose

Back