Enigma Alternatives?

dvbnoob

Hi all,

Some background context may help:

We currently have Sky Q, and while its really nice the main feature we use heavily is the pause/rewind/ and recording shows/series link.

However even though we only watch pretty much the free channels, the "recordings" are part of the Sky service, something I found out painfully when a year ago we stopped our Sky subscription, turns out you need a subscription just to watch your own recordings! crazy!

Anyhow, fast forward and I did a bunch of search, and TL;DR ended up in the world of Enigma2.

Looking online and seeing YouTube what others where doing, I got excited when I found out that users had made "Skins" that replicated Sky's UI.

So eventually I took the plunge and recently (this week) got a Zgemma H9T, remember I'm a total noob.

Fast forward a few more days of frustration trying to get it all to work, eventually managed to flash OpenATV + wooshbuild.

So far great, while we can almost live with it as a Sky replacement

BUT

The biggest thing for us is the timeshift / recordings, and while both of these work on this H9T, the GUI and process is, well not smooth or great, it just feels clunky, it works kind of, then again its just feels awkward when compared to a Sky Q box, which is just amazing for pause/rewind and recordings.

For example, when pausing and time-shifting you get a tiny timeline, and scrubbing back and forth just works, switching channels cleaning drops the temporary recording.

Now recording:

Under Sky, pressing record works in a "one click" way, where pressing it multiple times it cycles:

* (a) click once (record right now)
* (b) click again (automatically series link)
* (c) click again (cancels recording) then goes back to step (a)

Compare this with Enigma2, click record and you are presented with a huge painful list WHAT?! now I want to cancel, it shows me another list WHAT??? I'm sure you could eventually train yourself to do it the "Enigma" way, but seriously why? its a set top box, its supposed to be user friendly and "brain dead simple"

Also the record listing is a bit naff as well, would be nice to have thumbnails, with timeline preview like in Sky Q, but again could live with it.

No matter what Skin I've tried, its ultimately the same base "GUI" underneath.

I tried hooking up to Kodi via VU+ add-on, and while the UI was much nicer, recording also seemed nicer as well, channel zapping is SLOW AS DRIED MUD, so frustrating :(

So was wondering if there are any plugins/ or even alternatives to Enigma that can get close to Sky Q user friendliness in terms of pause + recording ?

Back