Enigma2 Box With VIX Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheelo

Admin
Staff member
TK Supporter
This Tutorial is no longer valid, as the .ipk file is no longer needed, and also there is a bootloader with the new firmware - POST CLOSED

TechKings, nor I Accept no responsibility for any damage you may cause to your box. This is purely a tutorial that you do at your own risk (even if it is a small risk)

Setup Wizard​

So your Enigma 2 box has arrived (VU, Octagon, etc.) I am presuming that it has been flashed with the VIX image. Plug it in and connect it to the TV for the first time. You will be met with a set up wizard.
First you will be asked to select the video input type, ie.
HDMI
SCART

Select the one that you are using

Then you will be asked to select the video mode from the following:-
720p
1080i
576p
480p
576i
480i

Then you will have the language selection screen.
Select your chosen language.

Next you will be asked to set up the tuner. (I have a fixed dish, on Sky 28.2)

Configuration Mode.....no
Mode... single
Satellite... 28.2E Eurobird 2.. Astra 1N/2A/2B/2D

Next you will be asked if you want to do an automatic or a manual scan, if you want to use a channel list(bouquet) from elsewhere, then choose No.
Parental controls . . . . your own choice.

Set up Internet Connection.
Use interface . . yes
Use DHCP . . . If you choose yes the box will scan your router and assign an IP address automatically, if you select no you have to set up the IP manually. For me the choice is yes as I have the box hard wired via Ethernet cable.

You may or may not get the chance to fix the size of the display. If you notice that the screen display is to one side, too small, too big, you can go to
Menu/Setup/OSD/OSD Setup
In this menu you use the up/down buttons to select the option, then the left/right to fix the setting. Once you are happy, press the green button to save your settings

Loading a Channel list (bouquet)

For this exercise, I am using the channel list that inbed79 uploaded >> CLICK HERE <<
Unzip this and Save this for later. The reason I use this one is that it is numbered the same as the original SKY channel list.

Also, I am using Dreambox edit 3.0.0.0 >> CLICK HERE <<

You need your boxes’ IP address, find it here> Menu/Setup/System/Network/Device Setup/adapter settings. Write this down for later.

First, install dreambox edit (DBE) to your computer.

Now, launch DBE
Click Tools/Options/advanced, tick the heading “allow duplicate entries in (user) Bouquets” then close program, then re-open it again.
Now, we’ll set up your receiver’s profile, go to
Tools/options/profiles.
Where it says “IP address of Dreambox” fill in your box’s IP, leave server point as 80, Where it says “username on dreambox” type “root”, where it says “password” type “password”(sometimes no password(blank) works too). Click “test username/Password” and if you have done this correctly, a dialog box appears that says “Successfully connected to dreambox FTP server. IP Adress, FTP port number, username and password are correct” Click OK.
In the bottom right, click “new enigma2 settings” Then “save”.

Now, press File/Open and navigate to wherever you stored the channel list from earlier, then press ok to load the files. Click File/Fast FTP Upload. You may need to reboot the box (the box will tell you).
If you have more than one Enigma2 boxes, you can set up different profiles for each of them. Just be careful you are logged into the correct one to avoid errors.(it will tell you which one you are logged into on the bottom left of the screen)

If you wish to use the VIX AutoBouquet maker to automatically create a channel list.

Go to Menu/Set up/Service searching/Autobouquet maker.
In Configure, you can set a time for the box to update the channel list.
In providers, select the SKY region you are in, and select yes for freesat and the correct area for that too.

That is the Channel list done.

Setting up a EPG or electronic program guide.

Format your USB stick to FAT32 with your computer. USB sticks should only be inserted and withdrawn with the power off. Place the USB stick into any of the USB ports on the box, then reboot box.

When box has re-booted, press the blue button/VIX/Mount Manager. If your USB stick is not shown as Mount: /Media/USB, press the Green button highlight the USB Stick and change the setting with the left and right buttons, press the green button to save.

Exit back to the home screen, then go to Menu/Setup/System/EPG. For me, I chose to set up my EPG using CrossEPG, so I will explain that one.

Click Settings, change the EPG location to /Media/USB using the left/right buttons. Then press the green button to save.
Go down to CrossEPG, press OK, Configure, then set up your scheduled download time. Then press the red button. Go down to OpenTV providers. Highlight and select your sky option. You will see a green tick beside that option. Press the yellow button to download the EPG. This will take a few minutes to download.

Setting up a Softcam

You need:
A cccam.cfg or a newcamd.list from your provider (this your line info) or you can create one using Notepad++ Available >>HERE <<

FileZilla Available >> HERE << You want the client version, not the server version.

The softcam file (.ipk file) available >> HERE << (enigma2-plugin-cams-mgcamd.1.35a_1.0-r3_mipsel)

Make sure your box is connected to the internet.

Install Filezilla onto your computer, then launch it.

Along the top you have:-
(1.) Host: Enter IP Address
(2.) Username: Enter root
(3.) Password: Enter Password (or leave blank)
(4.) Port: Enter 21

Click Quickconnect(5), you should now be connected to your box.On the left of the screen(6) are the folders on your computer, On the right of the screen are the different folders and file structure of the box.
Go to the TMP folder (7), then drag and drop the softcam file (.ipk file) here (8). You can now close Filezilla for now.

filezilla-client-screenshot-3.jpg
Numbers in the picture relate to the numbers in the brackets above

On the box, press the blue button/VIX/Install Local Extension, you will see “enigma2-plugin-cams-mgcamd.1.35a_1.0-r3_mipsel” highlight this and press the green button to install, a confirmation box will appear, and it will say box needs to reboot, do the reboot by selecting “yes”

Open Filezilla again, click server, then Reconnect.

Firstly, download this file mg_cfg CLICK HERE, then find the var/keys (7) folder and place the mg_cfg file there.

• If you are using a CCcam.cfg file, drag and drop it in the ETC(7) folder. On the box press the blue button/Softcam Manager, press the green button to start the cam and blue to enable auto start.

• If you are using a MGCAMD.list file, navigate to VAR/KEYS (7) folder and drag and drop the mgcamd file into this. On the box press the blue button/Softcam Manager, press the green button to start the cam and blue to enable auto start.

And we’re done guys and girls, I know it looks longwinded, but if you slowly and carefully follow all the steps in the right order, then it should all go to plan.

Last edited:
this tut should cover the octagon sf8 shouldn't it?, was going to shell out for a VU but the octagonsf8 is all i need regarding basic function and good support

this tut should cover the octagon sf8 shouldn't it?, was going to shell out for a VU but the octagonsf8 is all i need regarding basic function and good support

That's exactly what I have mate, as long as the image on it is VIX.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

general enigma 2 boxes vu and octagon yes,convinced wheelo to get one lol

john can be the tester wheelo to see how he handles the tut and can advise on his skill or lack of it.:anyonethere:(y)

Last edited by a moderator:
cheers lads, was looking on WOS. Do you recommend any where else?

---------- Post Merged at 01:34 AM ----------

john can be the tester wheelo to see how he handles the tut and can advise on his skill or lack of it.:anyonethere:(y)

tut looks easy enough, never handled an enigma box. plenty of experience with skybox but its time to move on, oh and a short spell with the blade 5000s.

if buying from wos become a member there and get a discount later(y)wos home of vix ,dont need a hammer with linux boxes but you do with a skybox.

Thanks Wheelo. If only i had seen this before last night. My eyes are bleeding today from 2-3 hrs sleep. It took me about 6-7hrs last night into the early hours of the morning to get my Octagon SF8 running. I didn't anticipate how difficult it would be for me.

I have basically no knowledge of this sort of stuff so at all, a total noob so i was cobbling together bits and pieces from various online sources and i discovered that a lot of it didn't apply to what i was doing. I'm still having some problems and going to need to start a thread for further help and greater understanding.

The biggest issue i had was that my line is nline and all the tutorials i followed only really described CCcam so i was downloading the CCcam files not really knowing anything about MGcamd and trying to set up an nline to go with it. Then when i discovered that i needed to follow the MGcamd protocol for that type of line i had real difficulties with the mg_cfg and .list file because 1). I didn't know what they were and 2). the files weren't being created from the MGcamd file that i downloaded from the vix website, so i had to read up on them and where to put them, thankfully some guy had posted templates on a forum which worked for me in the end.

But anyway.....This is god work Wheelo. This will help many folks out. That must have took a fair bit of effort. (y)

cactikid remember if you want to setup a swap file in vix the usb must be atleast 8gig. you can do it maunuly if you have a usb below 8gig

Last edited:
A CCcam.cfg or a MGcamD.list file from your provider
wheelo typo its mg_cfg and newcamd list both from ipk file.

enigma2-plugin-cams-mgcamd.1.35a_1.0-r3_mipsel.ipk for nlines
enigma2-plugin-cams-cccam.2.2.1_1.0-r0_mipsel.ipk for clines
no longer listed is the 1.38

Hi wheelo. I would like to clarify a few things with you please..

For n-line you state that an mgmcamd.list file should be created and dropped into var/keys however most other sources point to it being a newcamd.list file. Do you know which is correct and does it even matter?

Secondly. You dont mention an mg_cfg file on your tutorial. Did you make one of these and drop into var/keys?

Thanks mate.

For n-line you state that an mgmcamd.list file should be created and dropped into var/keys however most other sources point to it being a newcamd.list file. Do you know which is correct and does it even matter?

Secondly. You dont mention an mg_cfg file on your tutorial. Did you make one of these and drop into var/keys?

Thanks mate.

Yes, you have found my flaw which I will fix now. the mg_cfg file goes into var/keys so that the ipk file can install a mgcamd.list file (line) so you can see the paid channels.

Thanks mate.

Yes, you have found my flaw which I will fix now. the mg_cfg file goes into var/keys so that the ipk file can install a mgcamd.list ??
file (line) so you can see the paid channels.
when ipk file is loaded on box "enigma2-plugin-cams-mgcamd.1.35a_1.0-r3_mipsel.ipk look in /var/keys you see mg-cfg and underneath newcamd list
think wheelo forgot to read back i did mention it ?? times

Last edited:
think wheelo forgot to read back i did mention it ?? times

Nope, I have only just had a bit of time to cull all the "advice on tutorial" posts and make the changes to the original post :sorry: won't happen again. ;)

And what I meant was a mgcamd.list with your active line on it, you pedantLOL

Last edited:
aint done diddly yet lol..A CCcam.cfg or a MGcamD.list file from your provider or you can create one using Notepad++ Available zzzzzzzzzzzz

no question from ruud in yet,fallen asleep again lol

Last edited:
Create your own you lazy git, I have linked to Notepad ++ Says "available >>>>>HERE<<<< " most good providers will give you the file lol

And Ruud is off watching the telly he has worked so hard for. My last step as I see it is to add something about swap files(when I get a chance) (y)

i would still edit the tut as mgcamd.list [ no such thing if you look ] is mg_cfg and newcamd list on filezilla.

Could you copy and paste the part you are talking about, and change the bit that you are talking about. I just can't get what you mean.
I presume it's just a sentence or two, but I just can't get the nuance of your statement.
Cheers Cactikid.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

A CCcam.cfg or a MGcamD.list file from your provider or you can create one using Notepad++ Available >>HERE <<
cccam.cfg or a newcamd.list from your provider is your line info or you can create

Hello fellas, i hadn't fallen asleep, i've been awake for 8 days straight trying to fix me telly lol. I'm just not yet used to different parts of the forum yet.

Yes, what i noticed with the MGcamd method on the SF8 is that when installing the .ipk file neither of the aformentioned newcamd.list or mg_cfg files are automatically created for you in var/keys. For me, I had to go an make/find my own. (i made the newcamd.list file myself however had to find a mg_cfg file online as it was too complicated for me lol).

---------- Post Merged at 01:45 AM ----------

Might also be worth adding to this tutorial...

If experiencing lag/delay/slow zapping >>> Go to Menu/Setup/System/VFD/SF8 and set 'show on VFD' to none. This was my massive problem all along. This feckin simple little setting lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back