ethernet cables cat6a, cat 7, cat 8?

ive managed to get a free wifi booster off vermin as have poor or weak wifi in some rooms. You have to connect one of the boosters into the wall plug in the same room as the hub 3 and connect via ethernet cable. My plug is about 4m away from the hub. So going to buy a longer cable than the about 1m that comes in the box. Im used to cat6a but searching google there are now cat 7 and even cat 8. These any good for home networking or shall i just stick to cat6a? Will i notice any better speeds or wifi with cat 7 or 8?
I also have my pc and ps4 connected via cat 6a, any benefit changing to cat 7 or 8?
Thanks

1.jpg

have a read on here mate What makes Cat7 & Cat8 the Next Generation Ethernet Cables? - NewYorkCables

Really depends on what your requirements are.
What speeds are you trying to reach? Do you have Gigabit switches (or plan for them) - or even 10Gigabit?
Is it just a single cable you want to replace or a bunch? Are your tubes / wallholes large enough (the higher the type of cable, the ticker they get too).

Seriously, cat5e is for most still more than sufficient with speeds reachable of Gigabit - however if you want to be future proof at least take 6A.

Oh - when you buy new cables; check the core, make sure it's copper (there are cables that do not have copper at the core!!)

Totally agree with @Mikej0h
I don't know one single ordinary person that would benefit from anything better than 5e,
Unless your house is massive and you have runs over 100m.
Just make sure its not CCA or CCS cable and you will be fine.

Back