Evesham e-box: Need Graphics Card

sevenoaks

I have had an Evesham e-box computer for a few years and am quite happy with it. The problem I have is that a couple of years ago the video card died and was taken out of the motherboard and scrapped. The computer runs windows xp with media center 2005 and the onboard graphics card is capable of running generally what I want, but not running the live tv picture (keeps freezing and is very jerky)

I am now wanting to buy and insert a new graphics card to solve the tv playback issues, but I have no idea what to look for when searching on the internet.

Can anyone give any advice as to what type of graphics card I should be looking for, and once bought is it a simple operation to insert it into my machine?

Thanks in advance.

Hi SevenOaks

According to spec this is the original card that came with the box
ATI Radeon X300 128mb PCI-EXPRESS Graphics Card

I have seen a reviewer with the following setup.
AMD Athlon 64 3800+
Asus AV8 Deluxe 949 Motherboard
1024 MB Crucial Dual Channel DDR PC3200 Memory
ATI X800 Pro 256mb Graphics Card
Creative Labs Audigy 2 Sound Card (OEM)
80 GB Western Digital Hard Drive 7200 RPM, 8mb Cache
Sony DRU-710A 16x DVD-RW Dual Layer Drive
Sony CD-RW (40x12x48x)
Creative Inspire 5.1 P580 Speakers
Viewsonic VP171s LCD Monitor

The same graphics card MAY fit yours but then i have no idea if the reviewer has changed out his motherboard. I wouldnt think he has but be careful.

Check to see if your motherboard matches above, open up the box and take some clear pictures and post them back here if you like.
Card itself is easy to install, problem part is getting the right one.

Thanks axxxo

I've had the computer from new so it should be the card to the original spec you state.

Looking at the paperwork which came with the computer I think the motherboard is MSI RS482M4/RX480M4 Series does this help?

Looked on the web and the graphics card doesn't seem very expensive.

May be worth getting one and trying it. Can this do any harm if I get the wrong type?

Really appreciate your swift advice.

Sevenoaks

Sorry for the delay sevenoaks.
No it wont do any harm it just wont work if its not compatible.
How much did you see the card for?
I cant find much on what cards would function other than the one that it originally had but im sure most PCI express graphics cards should work ok with it.
As for installing it, make sure you are grounded, touch the inside of the casing, if you leave the area when you come back touch it again.
Make sure all power to the box is off, unplugged, press the power button a few times to discharge any remaining power.
Preferably get a new graphics card if you can.
When you get one call back here if you are unsure what to do.

Hi axxxo

searched and found a card on ebay for approx £20.00 plus postage. It is from a US seller, and it has a tv out socket. It maybe a daft question but there are graphics cards without a tv out socket. I am only wanting to display the media center tv picture on my computer monitor (not a stand alone tv). Do I need a card with the tv out socket?

Appreciate the advice about grounding. Never done any upgrading before and these tips are very useful.

I will probably take you up on your offer and post again for advice when I get the replacement card

Thanks again

Can you give me the exact name of the card your looking at or pm me the link to what it is you were looking at to buy?

Hi axxxo

The card I was looking at a couple of days ago was on eby and seems to have been sold as I can't find it anymore. However I am thinking about buying the following - ATI Radeon X300 128 MB PCI-E Card DMS 59 Full Height H3823 - which costs £10.75 from itcsales.co.uk their product description is as follows
ATI / Dell OEM Part X300SE DMA 59

ATI Radeon 128 MB PCI-E Video Graphics Card DMS 59 Full Height Dell 0H3823

NEW OEM. (Card only).

Product Specifications:

* Manufacturer: ATI / Dell
* ATI PN: 1028110500
* Dell PN: 4F778, 04F778
* Package Type: OEM (Card only)

I have seen other graphics cards on ebay but they were half height and I think I need a full height card

Do you think this will do?

Really appreciate your help and advice.

I have seen other graphics cards on ebay but they were half height and I think I need a full height card

Not meaning to burst in on you guy's and I'm definitely not familiar with your computer sevenoaks, but if your computer is one of these?

306.jpg

307.jpg

It will need a low profile half height g card according to a review I read on page 2 HERE:

Next to the TV tuners you'll find an ATI X300SE graphics card with 128MB of RAM on-board. Now, because the e-box is a low profile device, it needs low profile cards inside. The TV tuner cards were both proper low profile PCI cards and fit perfectly, but unfortunately the graphics card wasn't a true low profile device. As a result Evesham has had to hack off part of the backing plate and then bend some of the remainder 90 degrees and try to secure it with a screw. The result is that the graphics card wasn't sitting straight, making it impossible to plug an S-Video cable in - an issue made all the more severe by the fact that the S-Video port is the only video-out option on the e-box. Opening up the e-box, I was able to reposition the card and try to secure it, but whether it would stay in place is debatable. Evesham has however informed me that all production e-box machines will ship with proper low profile graphics cards.

-

Hello Gman496. You're definitely not bursting in, any advice is greatly appreciated.

The picture you posted is, or shall I say was my machine. When I bought the Evesham e-box we received the silver fascia'd box as per your picture. We had several issues with it and it was eventually replaced for a newer model, which has a black fascia and body, and the on / off button is in the centre of the computer.

Searched for the graphics card ( Dell ATI RADEON X300 PCI Express 128mb Graphics Card ) advised in earlier post and ebay have them for sale at only £8.00, and they are half height cards.

Will this card be suitable for my machine?

Cheers

Is THIS the card you are referring to?

280.jpg

281.jpg

If it is? I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

You could ask the seller to give you height measurements and check it before you buy.

-

Nice find Gman!
Half height it has to be so!
I had seen the machine myself but never even took into consideration the height of the card.

Hi Gman496

Yes, that is the card I was looking at.

Appreciate the help and tips given through the site, very helpful for a novice like me.

Looks like time to buy, fit and fingers crossed.

Will let you know how I get on

Thanks again to you and axxxo

Back