External Hard Drive

GGSS

Hi, i have a 3TB Toshiba external hard drive. It is currently formatted in Ex-Fat done on Apple Macbook. The files (videos/photos etc) play fine on macbook but when i connect the hard drive to my blu ray player via usb port it does not play files. Can anyone help please? Do i need to reformat it in a different format? I understand MS Dos format does not let you copy files larger than 4gb which would be a problem as most files are 4gb plus.

possible your format is not seen by blu ray,normally when connecting up to new item it has to be setup for first use to be able to be seen.
are you trying to copy played files to hdd or play files from hdd?

does your blu-ray see the hdd, or the files on it.?
perhaps the actual recordings are not in a format the BR can play.?

does your blu-ray see the hdd, or the files on it.?
perhaps the actual recordings are not in a format the BR can play.?
Yes, the blu ray player picks up the hard drive and files but just does not play them as it states unsupported. I started to play about with my hard drive and reformatted it ms dos fat. This allows me to play some files once connected to blu ray player. I have another smaller capacity hard drive 1TB and files play fine ms dos fat. I was transferring these files onto larger hard drive 3TB.

if it says unsupported then it means the filetype is not playable,
check what filetypes your bluray can play and then convert your files to that type,
ie : if it only plays .mp4 and your files are .mkv then they will be unsupported and need converting

changing your hdd format will make no difference, that will only change whether your BR can see the hdd or not

possible your format is not seen by blu ray,normally when connecting up to new item it has to be setup for first use to be able to be seen.
are you trying to copy played files to hdd or play files from hdd?
check what filetypes your bluray can play and then convert your files to that type,
ie : if it only plays .mp4 and your files are .mkv then they will be unsupported and need converting

changing your hdd format will make no difference, that will only change whether your BR can see the hdd or not
Thanks for your help

Thanks Steptoe for your help

Can i ask, i reformatted my 3TB hdd to Ms Dos Fat32, when i open it the capacity is 801.16GB. Why is the capacity not near 3TB?

no idea, I cant remember the last time I used fat for anything
have you tried Gparted yet.?
I know no drive ever shows as the capacity its advertised at, this is due to manufacturers using a cheeky method of selling the capacity, whereas your pc measures the true capacity, but it should still be over 2.5T

no idea, I cant remember the last time I used fat for anything
have you tried Gparted yet.?
I know no drive ever shows as the capacity its advertised at, this is due to manufacturers using a cheeky method of selling the capacity, whereas your pc measures the true capacity, but it should still be over 2.5T
No i haven't heard of it, what is it?

No i haven't heard of it, what is it?

its a native Linux partitioning tool
but its available for windows too, and as MAC is basically a mashed up *nix, then there is probably a version for that too,
its very good, its all I ever use,
you can partition and format almost any drive to almost any format using it

Thanks Steptoe for your help
How the hdd is formatted
its a native Linux partitioning tool
but its available for windows too, and as MAC is basically a mashed up *nix, then there is probably a version for that too,
its very good, its all I ever use,
you can partition and format almost any drive to almost any format using it
Thanks Steptoe, i will give it a try.

Back