External Hard Drive

Hi guys,

I have searched the forum before posting this so apologies if its been asked before.

I am looking to buy a USB drive to use in a zGemma Star 2S, for everything from recording to EPG, and was wondering the following few points:

a) Is it best to use mains powered?
b) does it matter if the drive speed is only 5,400?
c) I know the more space the better but do recordings take up loads of space and for that reason go for a 1TB over 500GB?

Even advice on models people have used before would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks again Louis. I only got the box and was trying out a 8GB USB stick last week as had no hard drive. Everything, EPG, seemed to be running quite slow. Could that have just been because the USB stick was of such a low capacity?

I was trying it with WooshBuild v3.01, not blaming the build though!!

2s will always be slow(ish) best to just keep it barebones (just add what you need) dont go installing allsorts of plugins i recomend you install cache flush and if you dont want to download plugins when you get a hdd add flashexpander that will free up internal memory.

---------- Post Merged at 06:36 PM ----------

Also i use a 500gb seagate hdd from argos i recorded the boxing in HD last week about four hours used 23gb as you wont have many HD channels i think 500gb is more than than enough you could go overkill will 1tb if you really want to never run out of space.

Thanks guys. I have it just barebones after following kiddac's guide and so also have flashexpander and cacheflush installed.

Don't think I am using picons

500GB may be just the ticket then with no HD recording.

Can I also ask, is the H2S much quicker?

Yes, well with the extra 20 quid & better remote too. You'll find there's not much difference in price between 500gb & 1tb

Back