Facebook Fan Check Virus - true or fake???

Linny40

TK LADY VETERAN
Facebook Fan Check - virus - true or false

there has been a lot of people put status updates on saying it IS a virus and others saying its not.

Does anyone know if its true of false??

I have googled but confused. I have done my virus checks and nothing showed up. I have also deleted 9/10 of my apps.

So is it jsut a coincidence that some people are having probs with facebook with error codes etc

Today a status said it is true and that that is why we have had internet probs and old posts are showing up etc.
If your not familiar with it its an app that comes up saying you have been tagged in a photo, which you check out to find out if you are in the top 20 of one of your friends fans. Apparently you are tagged because you have interacted with that person somehow.

I know some of you are experts at viruses on here and just wondered if anyone could throw some light on to it if its true or just another scaremonger tactic.:mad:
Cheers
Linny

Facebook Fan Check - virus - true or false

there has been a lot of people put status updates on saying it IS a virus and others saying its not.

Does anyone know if its true of false??

I have googled but confused. I have done my virus checks and nothing showed up. I have also deleted 9/10 of my apps.

So is it jsut a coincidence that some people are having probs with facebook with error codes etc

Today a status said it is true and that that is why we have had internet probs and old posts are showing up etc.
If your not familiar with it its an app that comes up saying you have been tagged in a photo, which you check out to find out if you are in the top 20 of one of your friends fans. Apparently you are tagged because you have interacted with that person somehow.

I know some of you are experts at viruses on here and just wondered if anyone could throw some light on to it if its true or just another scaremonger tactic.:mad:
Cheers
Linny

I just fixed my friends computer today that had a virus on it, her computer was really messed up! She said it started getting Errors and froze up when she was on Facebook :doh:

Last edited:
it doesnt freeze but just gets errors, only seems to be on fb but i have had what you might call internet probs over the last few days. Firfefox saying it cant load page.
Problem is FB has got so big now 9/10 people use it. Like a lot of sites im sure it does have its fair share of viruses, you just have to be careful.
But this one apparently wipes out your password email etc and changes it ????? is that true?? plus it takes aprox 48 hrs to get into your system

what was the virus you found?

taken quite a few attemps to reload this page - comes up with ff cant load

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this Linny, i had quite a few statuses about it too, Facebook has been playing up just a tiny bit, when i go to edit account settings, sometimes it will do it, but sometimes firefox would say there was an error loading the page.

You may want to give this a quick read Linny to clear things up:

Code:
http://www.sophos.com/blogs/gc/g/2009/09/07/facebook-fan-check-virus-scare-leads-malware/

I dont understand what to do either, have college starting in a few days, and im hoping its not actually true. Will have to be careful anyway. :(

i have been told that it is a fake and the problem is not the fan check BUT the sites it tells you to go on - those are the carriers of viruses.

People seem very confused and scared. Thanks ill look that up!
Since i reset my modem touch wood my settings have been ok

Last edited:
i have been told that it is a fake and the problem is not the fan check BUT the sites it tells you to go on - those are the carriers of viruses.

People seem very confused and scared. Thanks ill look that up!

Yep, its the confused and scared part thats the main problem, people out of panic will go and search for a solution or to read up on the issue, and will just get lured into a hacker or spammers trap.

Jeez, i'm glad this made sense to you all, my face book occasionally gets used to chat to my niece in the U.K..

The updating settings problem i had, and friends status's being displayed from like a week ago seems to be a facebook problem within itself, it seems that they are doing some updates. As far as Fan Check Virus is concern, its not exactly a virus in the sense that using it will infect your computer. Its a great target for those who just cant go without an answer, that being me aswell lol. Its all about being aware and careful whilst knowing your stuff. (y)

Back