Fergus McCann Anniversary

He didnt get abuse at the time as all us fans knew we needed somebody or that was it for the club. It was his stinginess in later years and his stance with Di Canio, Cadette and big Pierre mainly as the fans loved these 3 players at the time and did not want to see them go, also his hiring and then backing of Jock Brown didnt do him any favours and we lost a good and potentially great manager in Wim Jansen over that, but at the end of the day Fergus was nothing but honest with everyone, when he arrived he promised 1: He would save the club, which he done, 2: He promised a better squad of players on the park, yes he done that too, 3: He said he would build a top class stadium that the fans could be proud of and by Jesus he certainly did that, 4: He said the trophies would return and the scottish cup was won the following year in 1995 and we lost on pens to Raith Rovs in the league cup a few months before that, but the title win in 1998 was his greatest achievement, stopping Rangers from doing 10 in a row, happy to say I was there that day in May when we won the league, he always said he would stay for a few years only and he would leave the club in a healthy position, which he did, and honestly of him ,he always said his intention was to make a good profit from Celtic, when he decided it was time for him to leave and he did. I know I for one and many many other fans will never forget him and be forever grateful that he stepped in. I am old enough to remember the biscuit tin mentality, when the club was run, or should I say miss-run by the Kellys and the Whites.

He didnt get abuse at the time as all us fans knew we needed somebody or that was it for the club. It was his stinginess in later years and his stance with Di Canio, Cadette and big Pierre mainly as the fans loved these 3 players at the time and did not want to see them go, also his hiring and then backing of Jock Brown didnt do him any favours and we lost a good and potentially great manager in Wim Jansen over that, but at the end of the day Fergus was nothing but honest with everyone, when he arrived he promised 1: He would save the club, which he done, 2: He promised a better squad of players on the park, yes he done that too, 3: He said he would build a top class stadium that the fans could be proud of and by Jesus he certainly did that, 4: He said the trophies would return and the scottish cup was won the following year in 1995 and we lost on pens to Raith Rovs in the league cup a few months before that, but the title win in 1998 was his greatest achievement, stopping Rangers from doing 10 in a row, happy to say I was there that day in May when we won the league, he always said he would stay for a few years only and he would leave the club in a healthy position, which he did, and honestly of him ,he always said his intention was to make a good profit from Celtic, when he decided it was time for him to leave and he did. I know I for one and many many other fans will never forget him and be forever grateful that he stepped in. I am old enough to remember the biscuit tin mentality, when the club was run, or should I say miss-run by the Kellys and the Whites.

i totaly agree with all of that

Back