Fibre broadband

Openreach this morning put some posts in the ground with notices on saying they intend to erect some telegraph poles so fingers crossed we finally get fibre.

You won't get fibre from a telegraph pole. Not unless things have changed since I left.

You won't get fibre from a telegraph pole. Not unless things have changed since I left.
Oh right thats a bummer then, wonder why they are putting the poles up then, makes no sense if no fibre. Maybe a link underground form the pole to the property? but I'm sure my neighbour said the Openreach guys said they were putting in overhead cables.

Oh right thats a bummer then, wonder why they are putting the poles up then, makes no sense if no fibre. Maybe a link underground form the pole to the property? but I'm sure my neighbour said the Openreach guys said they were putting in overhead cables.
That would certainly explain the poles

Ah maybe with Openreach its just fibre to the pole and then copper wire to the premises from the pole. Luckily we have had community fibre installed in the local village and one member of the co-operative there is thinking of bringing fibre to where I live and they do fibre bang to the property with speed of 1gbps.

Ah maybe with Openreach its just fibre to the pole and then copper wire to the premises from the pole. Luckily we have had community fibre installed in the local village and one member of the co-operative there is thinking of bringing fibre to where I live and they do fibre bang to the property with speed of 1gbps.
Fibre to the pole,
Then fibre to the property,
All overhead
That's what I have anyway
The guy installing asked if I wanted to keep the copper as well.
I told him rip it out, made his job easier using the same hangers.

Thanks guys, I'm one of the over 60s with the trad phone......but it probably is time to get an old moby with a sim only lots of minutes ( a £5pm looks good enough) and use that as the dedicated house phone for my beloved....leaving me to get 100+ fibre for streaming and iptv

I have had Virgin for years and when I told them I was leaving because of the prices, they reduced the price to keep me and when I said I didn't want the land line they knocked a further £18 a month off.

BT has got the required infrastructure in place and are using the same for their fibre network with some adjustments.

Saving alot of money without the need of a complete overhaul of the infrastructure.

BT has got the required infrastructure in place and are using the same for their fibre network with some adjustments.

Saving alot of money without the need of a complete overhaul of the infrastructure.
Yes that sure seems to be what they are doing. The demand in 2021 for a fibre connection is massive and to meet the demand of consumers Openreach slap up poles and overhead cables.
Much quicker than digging new ducting and getting permission to go under roads, properties etc.
Still we as a nation are miles behind other countries where nfast internet speeds are taken for granted.

Yes that sure seems to be what they are doing. The demand in 2021 for a fibre connection is massive and to meet the demand of consumers Openreach slap up poles and overhead cables.
Much quicker than digging new ducting and getting permission to go under roads, properties etc.
Still we as a nation are miles behind other countries where nfast internet speeds are taken for granted.

Urban areas in UK will still suffer sadly with dire speeds. As alot of these main companies still won't invest in these areas.

Speeds close to 1gig could be the norm for most parts of the UK in the next few years.

Not sure what speeds are currently in Japan for instance but I read some time ago most of their population are on ultra fast fibre broadband and have similar speeds.

Yes I live off a busy road but can only get adsl2 at 9mbps tops but 1gb fibre is available down the road via a co-operative initiative.
They tell me they are looking to bring it to my area if enough residents are interested but Openreach have now woken up and are preparing to bang up poles.
Hopefully I eventually get a faster download speed.

Last edited:
Fibre to the pole,
Then fibre to the property,
All overhead
That's what I have anyway
The guy installing asked if I wanted to keep the copper as well.
I told him rip it out, made his job easier using the same hangers.
Did he cash in the copper at the scrapyard?

Have had communication from Openreach they are installing FTTP via overhead cable :smiley::smiley::smiley:
My question now is do isps who provide fttp give you a vdsl modem/router?

Have had communication from Openreach they are installing FTTP via overhead cable :smiley::smiley::smiley:
My question now is do isps who provide fttp give you a vdsl modem/router?
from my experience
only Openreach/BT can supply you with fibre for the first 6/12 months
and they provide you with a fibre converter & router
2 devices and require 2 x electrical sockets

from my experience
only Openreach/BT can supply you with fibre for the first 6/12 months
and they provide you with a fibre converter & router
2 devices and require 2 x electrical sockets
The guy from Openreach sent me a link of the isps Openreach deal with and BT was one of them.

FTTP providers

Can't be paying for new equipment lol
Can I use a 3 way triple plug adaptor?

Last edited:
Back