Focus wet floor!

had the same problem with a megane on the front. leaves had blocked the scuttle drainage so it overflowed back into the car
As already said, scuttle panel removed - all clear, drain clear too and working fine.

W/Screen most likely culprit. Push outwards on different parts of screen while someone directs hose at it.

Last edited:
If the carpets come upwards to the bottom of the doors you wouldn't see any water ingress as it just soaks directly into the carpets.
A way to prevent this I read on a Citroen forum is to affix a flap of polythene to the bottom of the door, tape it along the inside edge and leave it hanging down 2 or 3 inches so that when you close the door, any water getting inside the door will land on the plastic and drain outwards rather than into the carpets

I was going to say rear lamps seals but you said spare wheel well dry and so is carpet i take.

And you checked the panel under the wipers and drains are clear as when filled runs out underneath

When the car is sitting is it level or tilted.

Forgot where the pollen filter is in that and any signs around it.

Spread newspaper under dash to see if it carries water from above.

Have you checked heater matrix for a leak etc.
Rear washer pipe that travels under the headliner ??.
I think most common leaks have already been mentioned
Rear tail light lense seal
Pollen filter shroud seal
Out door weather strip on glass.
A bit extreme but have you got an hole in the floorpan anywhere ??
Upper rear tailgate hinge rubbers fitted ??
Seems like a lot of water but it could have built up after a long period of time so not really noticed.
Pull the carpet and check bulhead where it meets the floor there could be a crack in the factory sealant and coming in from the wheel arch off the tyres etc.
Whilst carpet is up get someone to shine a very bright lamp under the bonnet on the drivers side bulkhead and lay inside the drivers side and look up to see if you can see light shining through anywhere etc usual suspects around the rubber grommets where accelerator cable come through etc ok.

Last edited:
Have you checked the seal under the rear lights?I had a focus st which had a pin prick hole in the painted factory sealant,water leaked down the inside of the car behind the wheel arch carpet(circled)and down the boot edge past the rear seat and into the rear footwell.
I took carpet off from wheel arch and climbed in boot with a torch and got the missus to spray water on back light and you wouldn't believe how much water ran down into the car.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220228-204109_kindlephoto-6718605.png
    Screenshot_20220228-204109_kindlephoto-6718605.png
    678.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
W/Screen most likely culprit. Push outwards on different parts of screen while someone directs hose at it.

Possible but even without pushing on it, I would have thought that with how much water I directed around the windscreen / windscreen seals at all pressures, I would have noticed it leaking in?

If the carpets come upwards to the bottom of the doors you wouldn't see any water ingress as it just soaks directly into the carpets.
A way to prevent this I read on a Citroen forum is to affix a flap of polythene to the bottom of the door, tape it along the inside edge and leave it hanging down 2 or 3 inches so that when you close the door, any water getting inside the door will land on the plastic and drain outwards rather than into the carpets

Yes, usually you wouldn't see it but as said, i've removed the carpets and put gallons of water on the car on every panel, every seal at varying pressures whilst monitoring water ingress and nothing :(

I was going to say rear lamps seals but you said spare wheel well dry and so is carpet i take.

And you checked the panel under the wipers and drains are clear as when filled runs out underneath

When the car is sitting is it level or tilted.

Forgot where the pollen filter is in that and any signs around it.

Spread newspaper under dash to see if it carries water from above.

Yes, boot dry and no signs of any leaks there.

Yes, I removed the wipers and scuttle panel and checked drains and they're all clear and working okay.

I have had car level and tilted in all directions whilst putting water on it and still, I can't see any ingress.

Pollen filter on these is inside the car and not under the scuttle panel like the mk1 focus.

Good suggestion with newspaper, i'll try that trick - thanks!

Have you checked heater matrix for a leak etc.
Rear washer pipe that travels under the headliner ??.
I think most common leaks have already been mentioned
Rear tail light lense seal
Pollen filter shroud seal
Out door weather strip on glass.
A bit extreme but have you got an hole in the floorpan anywhere ??
Upper rear tailgate hinge rubbers fitted ??
Seems like a lot of water but it could have built up after a long period of time so not really noticed.
Pull the carpet and check bulhead where it meets the floor there could be a crack in the factory sealant and coming in from the wheel arch off the tyres etc.
Whilst carpet is up get someone to shine a very bright lamp under the bonnet on the drivers side bulkhead and lay inside the drivers side and look up to see if you can see light shining through anywhere etc usual suspects around the rubber grommets where accelerator cable come through etc ok.

I have looked around the heater matrix pipes inside the car and no signs of leaks from any of its pipes or seals - I have pink coolant in the header tank and it's still at full level. The water in the footwell is clear and plentiful (it would take 2 or 3 full header tanks to saturate the floor as much as it is).

Rear tail lights sealed fine - checked from inside too whilst putting water around them.

Pollen filter is inside the car on these.

weather strips around glass perfect condition and all intact - door seals are bone dry when I open the car after it's been soaked and membranes insides doors are in perfect condition and door drainage working as it should on all doors.

There's no holes in the floorpan from what I can see with the carpets removed and the floor is in extremely good condition - no signs of any rust or rot which is surprising with the amount of water sitting in there.

I've removed the carpet and checked upwards towards the bulkhead in the car whilst water is being directed down the back of the bulkhead and no signs of any leaks.

It's a mystery that's for sure :(

Have you checked the seal under the rear lights?I had a focus st which had a pin prick hole in the painted factory sealant,water leaked down the inside of the car behind the wheel arch carpet(circled)and down the boot edge past the rear seat and into the rear footwell.
I took carpet off from wheel arch and climbed in boot with a torch and got the missus to spray water on back light and you wouldn't believe how much water ran down into the car.

Seals seemed okay but i'll pay this area a bit more attention, thanks! :)

Thanks for all the suggestions people, it is appreciated and i'm sure i'll get to the bottom of it (hopefully).

Forgot to add make sure windows are up full and tight.

Car gets wet without moving does sound like rain

If matrix was leaking you would know with rainbow colours on windscreen and taste of honey in your mouth

If car has aircon and in use possible drain issue but not said if you have it or not.

Forgot to ask if wiring loom seal is good and not letting water through the door frame into car as you should see brown run marks.

Back